• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he's moved from Fiji to Brisbane to WA to Melbourne for better opportunities.

A move over seas was more likely than anything.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
he's moved from Fiji to Brisbane to WA to Melbourne for better opportunities.

A move over seas was more likely than anything.
You forgot Canberra in that.

In all honesty he’s a good player but injuries, out of favor with Wallabies, etc. it’s no surprise if he does. But if he does stay that’s also a good player remaining at the club. Rebels also desperately need a big ball carrier.

With him and Koroibete possibly gone, DHP contract ending, etc. there could be a few dollars to spend next season.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No surprise Isi is gone but a shame we couldn't get Rennie to work with him more, seems a waste of rare attributes.

Wessels gone is also feeling inevitable, I wouldn't be opposed to Penney getting a call if he wants to stay in Aus.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If highly paid players like Naisarani, Koroibete and DHP don't continue on 2022, do we have an exciting wish list?

I don't think Melbourne can depend on promoting local talent or even enticing players away to offer more game time to overcome THAT sort of player ability deficit.

I'd think Kerevi straight away but he's not free until 2023. Beale said he was keen to return, does he get an offer for Fullback?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
well wells has been very good this year so cushions the loss

Defensively safe as houses but no doesn't punch the line in attack like Isi (i mean few do).

We cant score ties as it is & we are about to loose our 2 best 1 on 1 attacking players ah 2022 is looking like a long season

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
If highly paid players like Naisarani, Koroibete and DHP don't continue on 2022, do we have an exciting wish list?

I don't think Melbourne can depend on promoting local talent or even enticing players away to offer more game time to overcome THAT sort of player ability deficit.

I'd think Kerevi straight away but he's not free until 2023. Beale said he was keen to return, does he get an offer for Fullback?

Naisarani & Koroibete arent highly paid players at the rebels they are just both on RA top ups, atm DHP, To'omua & Hodge would be on good money with the 1st 2 off contract. Its been reported that we are very keen to re sign To'omua nothing about DHP yet.

I certainly dont think we will ever have a full squad of burn boyz but there seems to be a good batch coming through & if we have space in the cap keep Hosea 1. Because he is playing incredibly well 2. He is worth a fortune in france 3. He is basically the face of rugby in melbourne now & shows that yes you can make ot from the south east suburbs to the top of level of the sport.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No surprise Isi is gone but a shame we couldn't get Rennie to work with him more, seems a waste of rare attributes.

Wessels gone is also feeling inevitable, I wouldn't be opposed to Penney getting a call if he wants to stay in Aus.
Not sure I would limit ambition to Penny. I do feel there is a need to try something different given after 4 years with wessels the rebels still play like a team of individuals then a team. Don’t think you will get them but experienced coach like a Jake White would be the ideal imo.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The annual turnover is a major problem for the Rebels. Compared to the Reds & Brumbies, we welcome and farewell so many, each year. Stability is depserately required but need to sell them on a new project.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
The annual turnover is a major problem for the Rebels. Compared to the Reds & Brumbies, we welcome and farewell so many, each year. Stability is depserately required but need to sell them on a new project.

We get topped up every year by the vic govt on the condition melbourne host a bledisloe/lions game on the regular

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Coaching wise - how about looking to Japan?

Johan Ackermann, Todd Blackadder, Milton Haig?

The Rebels Role has a lot going for it - some big names, some great younger players, big city, opportunity to grow the game here

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
Absolutely fucks us. Their has to be something we could do better to retain talent

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

If you are looking to reduce player turnover you need to sign more players to their initial professional contracts. Player who move teams are more likely to move again, signing those players creates a transient culture.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
If you are looking to reduce player turnover you need to sign more players to their initial professional contracts. Player who move teams are more likely to move again, signing those players creates a transient culture.
Exactly and we need to look to recruit country kids. AFL clubs are big on targeting kids from regional Victoria as they see them as a lot lower risk of leaving. Their is a lot of merit to that strategy.