• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels Recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Interested to know how the Welsh No8 goes. Gareth Delve and Andy Powell are both playing well for the Rebels and Wasps. Also Martin Johnson should also have a look at Lipman. Alot was said about the rebels recruitment drive but in these 2 and Cipriana they have found some gems.

T

TOCC

Andy Powell signed with the Rebels ;)

To be honest, these guys are international players and a high level should be expected from them

Reactions: daz

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Delve has been close to their best player, if not the best. He has been fantastic. The Rebels struggled in recruitment, but they did pick up some gems in he three you mentioned. The international I would add to that list would be Yoda as well despite his dropsies last week.

Plus Ged Robinson seems like another, and Phipps has been good too.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Is Ged Robinson eligable for Australia?
he hasnt played higher than NZ 20s I dont think...he is young...you would think there might be a carrot there if he is eligable....he would have to be one of the form hookers in Australia alongside TPN and Moore...also James Hanson.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interested to know how the Welsh No8 goes. Gareth Delve and Andy Powell are both playing well for the Rebels and Wasps.

Also Martin Johnson should also have a look at Lipman. Alot was said about the rebels recruitment drive but in these 2 and Cipriana they have found some gems.

Ryan Jones of Wales goes OK. He used to be the captain but lost a bit of form and was superseded by Powell at 8 though sometimes he played at 6. He's back in form now but comparing his form with Ospreys with that of Delve for the Rebels - there's not much in it. Powell was in poor form for Wasps in the first half of the season but has been better in recent months. I'd favour Delve's general form ahead of Powell's any day.

Lipman would be at longer odds than Delve to be a smokey for the RWC. The injured Moody will be the England starter most likely and his backup will be Wood who played 7 for most of the 6N (though he wore the 6 jersey). Moody is a leader, Wood a lineout option, and Lipman has already been discarded by England. He would have to rely on a couple of injuries because there's other fellows at home to be considered as well.

Playing away from Europe will have done these two no good as they can't be compared with their rivals.

I was confident these two would be successes in Super Rugby but Cipriani has applied himself better than I thought. Some folks said that they were surprised by his turn of pace when he scored that individual try couple of weeks ago but they had probably forgotten those couple of fast, dangerous runs he made against the Wallabies at HQ in 2008. Also, his long, flat passing has been better than I remember it for Wasps.

I can't say all my predictions about the Rebels recruits were spot on. I doubted if Saffy would be a starting player, "Huge" Pyle was from my local club and not a Super player at the minute and Campbell Light was a pussy cat.

But I'll take credit for assessing Phipps as better than Cordingley though I probably wasn't the Lone Ranger on that horse. I was appalled when Cords was picked to start in Round 1.

Big Paddy

Bob McCowan (2)
Ryan Jones of Wales goes OK. He used to be the captain but lost a bit of form and was superseded by Powell at 8 though sometimes he played at 6. He's back in form now but comparing his form with Ospreys with that of Delve for the Rebels - there's not much in it. Powell was in poor form for Wasps in the first half of the season but has been better in recent months. I'd favour Delve's general form ahead of Powell's any day.

I think Delve will be a shoe in for the Wales world cup squad despite him playing in Australia. Jones hasn't played well for a couple of years and Powell is a one trick pony (super retard strength).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree. It's a key yet under-rated skill for an 8 isn't it EE?

Young Vaea of the Brumbies is quite good also. He isn't the biggest bopper but with big hips and thick legs he has a low centre of gravity - a bit like Picamoles of France. Watch this space on Vaea.

Status
Not open for further replies.