• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Brumbies Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This thread is for discussing this match only

The Rules
  1. Do not give scores for any other match from this round until 24 hours after the last game!
  2. Do not discuss other matches in detail.
  3. Good hearted banter is encouraged but trolling is not allowed.
  4. Be respectful to posters, players, coaches and match officials.
Breaches of the rules will be handled by the Mod Team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Any news on possible injuries for the Brumbies coming out of the Chiefs'game? Apparently, Squeaky must have finished ok as he is talking about getting more game time. How did Ita Vaea finish up? Is Moggy fit enough to be considered and would he come in for Robbie?

nathan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm hoping the Brums tinker a bit this week:

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Arnold
5. Carter
6. Fardy
7. Doyle
8. Butler
9. White
10. To'omua
11. Tomane
12. Lilo
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Coleman

16. Mann Rea
17. Smith
18. Smith
19. Smiler
20. Vaea
21. Dowsett
22. Dargraville
23. Mogg

Keen to see what Doyle can do, can give Vaea 30 or so off the bench so he can keep working on his match fitness. Mogg to come back into the 23, hopefully providing some spark at the tail end of the game, or alternatively putting the boot to good use and closing out the game.

D

daz

Whoo boy, Rebels fans, it just doesn't get any easier, does it?

I think we are going to regret falling asleep against the Tahs last weekend. Not sure we would have won regardless, but the extra bonus point at least would have been very handy.

My gut says that there is a real danger the Brumbies will go all Pulp Fiction on us this weekend. We need to contain them and get points up early; any blow out by the Brumbies will be very hard to pull back.

A level of patience and discipline is required. From memory, we only had one set of phases over 7 last week, which showed that even though we scored 4 tries, we are still trying to score a first phase try 50% of the time. The other 25% of the time we lost the ball due to poor handling or penalties, and the final 25% of the time we are kicking the pill away - rebound ball from the Brumbies will be deadly.

This is the real test of the 2015 Rebels to date. The lads showed they have the goods to match quality opposition, but can they stay with the program consistently?

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
My gut says that there is a real danger the Brumbies will go all Pulp Fiction on us this weekend. We need to contain them and get points up early; any blow out by the Brumbies will be very hard to pull back.
Rebs will match the Brums up front. Crucial to their chances will be tightening up the midfield. To'omua, Lilo and Tevita are in great form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Brumbies are playing fantastic, I just hope they don't try and shut up shop with 15 mins to go like they did against the Chiefs I know they have a game plan they switch to shut out games.. But last season it seen them run down alot.. and pretty much what happened against the Chiefs. Nic White said as much.. we tried to close down to early and if you do that you can't fight your way back in if needed.

In saying that, Brumbies across the park are playing some fantastic rugby, so I will go with them by 7 as the Rebels are tough at home.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
This is a really hard one to call, consistency with the Rebels being the unknown. If we perform like the last two weeks and have learnt from our mistakes we will come away with a win, if not the Brumbies will run away winners.

Looking forward to Ellison v Kuridrani in the centers and McMahon v Fardy in the backrows especially.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This is a really hard one to call, consistency with the Rebels being the unknown. If we perform like the last two weeks and have learnt from our mistakes we will come away with a win, if not the Brumbies will run away winners.

Looking forward to Ellison v Kuridrani in the centers and McMahon v Fardy in the backrows especially.

I don't think that's true, if the Brumbies play to there capabilities or how they have been playing they should put the Rebels to the sword. Quality and Experience count I believe we have a higher celling then the Rebels (ATM).

But either team are off and rugby's a funny game it good night nurse. Should be another hum dinger.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Could well be the match of the round. On paper, Brumbies are stronger and are currently playing high quality rugby, but we've seen what the Rebels can do at home in the past. So not a foregone conclusion at all. Both packs should give it their all, and I expect the ball to be thrown about in both backlines. Should be a high tempo game with a few meat pies to savour.

Brumbies by 7 - 10.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Let’s be honest, the Brumbies should do us slowly. I’m still a bit shell shocked from last season so a full 80 minute performance without brain farts and fumbles under pressure will be a good start. Brumbies are the real deal and a strong performance against them will auger well for when we start getting into the other teams across the competition.

I'll be wearing three hats:
1. One-eyed Rebels fan who will struggle to stop himself from engaging “productively” with the referee;
2. A purist Australian rugby fan who takes great pleasure in watching the best in the business play in front of me. Poey, Carter, Sio, Lilo, To'omua etcetera;
3. A raving drunkard whose arrival at AAMI will have been preceded by a five-stop pub crawl. Hat three will probably support hat one, if I’m honest.

Should be a blast.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Rebels must be wondering what they did to deserve a schedule like this. They get to play last year's top three teams in the first three games. So far the games have been really intense, especially vs the Tahs, and now they lock horns with a team that IMO didn't deserve to lose last week and is playing the best football of any team. The Brumbies will be very physical and I expect the Rebels to be worn down by the last two games and not be able to match them. But I don't think they'll fold, this Rebels team look to have some real starch this year.

But there are a number of things they can hold onto:
  • If they can be within 7 points at 60 minutes then they are a real chance of turning over the Brumbies reserve scrum, which is a major weakness, just like they did against the Tahs last week.
  • If Timani can maintain his form this week then anything is possible. There is no doubt he is potentially the best of the Timani brothers, he seems to have good hands and an offload. Could be a smokey for the WC if he continues as he started.
  • If they learn from last week on how to play against a fast, deceptive and innovative backline then they will have a chance against the Brumby backline, which in a way is just as good. They have to stop Kuridrani before he starts though, once he get wound up his stepping and power are lethal.
After this round they are on a bye and will have time to recuperate. They need to throw everything and the kitchen sink at the Brumbies this week.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I reckon this will be a slow strangle.

Pulverise up fron and slot penalties all day, until the Rebels run out of puff. That will be the deciding factor, they'll still be in at the point they start runnning out of puff.

I'd go with Doyle at 7 this week, and bring Vaea off the bench as a literal wrecking ball...

That and SWITCHING LILO AND To'omua FFS!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Let’s be honest, the Brumbies should do us slowly. I’m still a bit shell shocked from last season so a full 80 minute performance without brain farts and fumbles under pressure will be a good start. Brumbies are the real deal and a strong performance against them will auger well for when we start getting into the other teams across the competition.

I'll be wearing three hats:
1.One-eyed Rebels fan who will struggle to stop himself from engaging “productively” with the referee;
2.A purist Australian rugby fan who takes great pleasure in watching the best in the business play in front of me. Poey, Carter, Sio, Lilo, To'omua etcetera;
3.A raving drunkard whose arrival at AAMI will have been preceded by a five-stop pub crawl. Hat three will probably support hat one, if I’m honest.

Should be a blast.

Hat three will probably be lost by the time you get to the ground :)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon this will be a slow strangle.

Pulverise up fron and slot penalties all day, until the Rebels run out of puff. That will be the deciding factor, they'll still be in at the point they start runnning out of puff.

I'd go with Doyle at 7 this week, and bring Vaea off the bench as a literal wrecking ball.

That and SWITCHING LILO AND To'omua FFS!

To'omua's going to be To'omua at 10 or 12, but I think Lilo takes a back seat when his not at 10, he needs a kick in the hind parts, deceptive pacey big strong in the tackle and pretty creative.. He reminds me a lot of Larkham with out the confidence.. and as Aqua said 'If only I could turn back time'..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Walsh reffed the Brumbies last week - no choice at all.;)

One area the Brumbies will need to improve is one-on-one backline defense. A lot of missed tackles last week which was very surprising. Hope Ryano has them up for this game.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Walsh reffed the Brumbies last week - no choice at all.;)

One area the Brumbies will need to improve is one-on-one backline defense. A lot of missed tackles last week which was very surprising. Hope Ryano has them up for this game.
The cheifs back 3 were very good. So much pace through the sliding defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.