• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

REBELS v STORMERS RD 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes but the TMO answered with probable try. By doing that he can skip the knock and just look at the foul play. Wrong answer to the question which skips the knock on. The knock on would make the holding back irrelevant.

They looked at a potential knock-on from Higginbotham several times. He obviously made a decision that there wasn't one there.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
They looked at a potential knock-on from Higginbotham several times. He obviously made a decision that there wasn't one there.
No he did not. He just looked at the foul play and give the answer. After it was awarded the network looked at the knock on. He looked at one angle and gave a answer in less than 20 seconds. He even gave the wrong numbers. He said 9 was held back 9 went of at half time

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I have watched the match again since Friday, and yes it'may be a knock on from some camera views. The Neville try that was disallowed for double movement which looked like the right call from where I was sitting at the stadium was actually a try and balances it out. Watching the replay their was no double movement and momentum carry's him over the line.

Should the Stormers have kept the score board ticking over with the penalties they kicked for touch? Would have gave them at least 2 points.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I have watched the match again since Friday, and yes it'may be a knock on from some camera views. The Neville try that was disallowed for double movement which looked like the right call from where I was sitting at the stadium was actually a try and balances it out. Watching the replay their was no double movement and momentum carry's him over the line.

Should the Stormers have kept the score board ticking over with the penalties they kicked for touch? Would have gave them at least 2 points.
2 wasn't good enough. It was all or nothing. The penalty retake was a ridiculous call. Not even high school referees are that incompetent let alone a Super Rugby one

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Well if you have taken the 3 points on offer, you would have had a better chance of getting your 4th try on the counter attack. But instead you went to bully the forwards over the line which really was not going to work that night.

And once you failed you really bought the home crowd into the game and it was lost from there. 10 000 people made the noise of 30 000 and the Stormers chances where gone.

I actually turned to my mate in the 47th minute and said the Rebels will win this one. He didn't have my confidence but we lose our games by leaking to many points early and the Stormers just didn't put the 15-20 points head start you need to win in Melbourne.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
It have nothing to do with subtracting dividing and what other maths. Its to do with incompetent officials. If he doesn't know a simple rule like a when opted to go for post you can't kick to the sideline what hope is there with the tougher decisions?

In RL this is the only time you can reverse a penalty, its deliberate cheating and shouldn't be dealt with by a "try again"

But it done and dusted. Lets move on rather. But talking about adding points

vlcsnap-2013-05-19-01h44m14s232_zpscbb224fd.png

They decided to subtract the Rebels a point for mediocre celebrations

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Really enjoyed that win after coming so close last year against them in SA.

We've all had times we believed we got the short end of the stick but hey thats rugby. I did think JDV was being a bit ungracious laying on the embarrassment spiel so thickly. I imagine some of it was his decision making and some team indiscipline, but I also think he is guilty of underestimating a team that has a very good offensive structure once it sucks teams into playing their game - something we have started to do quite well. Either way JDV is a class act and I can get over it, and yes he did acknowledge the Rebels.

I'm looking forward to the Rebels Lions game. I think we can win it, and maybe even drop some large hints for certain coaches doing it. Of course we could get smashed too.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Lyndon Bray at it again!

"I have spoken with both the TMO and the Broadcaster [Fox Sports]. It is obvious that the best angle, that provided clear evidence that a Rebels player knocked the ball on when tackling Stormers #2, was not displayed during the TMO referral replays. I think there are two good learning points for us, moving forward within the TMO Protocol Trial: firstly, we are reviewing with the TMO how articulately he presented the Director with what he was looking for, i.e. "potential knock on by Rebels player". Secondly, I am awaiting a report from Fox Sports, as to why unfortunately that camera angle was not available at the time of the referral."

"There is no question that this was an unfortunate error - and it obviously meant that the TMO could not make a conclusive decision on the knock on. Had he been able to access the reverse angle at the time of the decision, then the penalty try scenario would have been cancelled out."

"Having spoken with all parties concerned, I am 100% satisfied that this was a communication and process issue - an honest mistake. Our learning out of this will be to re-clarify the robust process between the TMO and Broadcast Director, to ensure the specifics of any incident in question are clearly understood by the Broadcast Director, and that angles are fully available at the time of the TMO referral. It helps nobody for the Broadcaster to then replay an angle that was not available at the time of the referral."
http://www.supersport.com/rugby/super-rugby/news/130522/Stormers_penalty_try_an_honest_mistake

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I didn't think it did - I never saw an angle which showed Higgers' hand hitting the ball. Don't get me wrong - I think it's very likely that Higgers' hand did his the ball, just that there was no angle that showed that it did.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
FFS can we let it go. the stormers are not the first team to possibly lose a game because of a poor decision by an official, nor the rebels the first to benefit. there are NO f'ing conspiracies, just human fuck ups. its is part of the game, any game where there is a degree of subjectivity to the rulings. it is one of the lessons learnt in sport, things don't always go your way and life isn't fair. suck it up and move on.
the whole TMO thing I think is being handled poorly by all the officials, especially the refs who now seem scared to make a decision lest a replay shows it is wrong. I think improving the standard of assistant refereeing (which I think is poor) and empowering the ref (and, Rassie I agree) getting all the laws correct, would be better than relying on technology. I always thought the first law of the game was the referee is the sole arbiter of fact

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Two or three years ago, a thread (or pub/club discussion) would drag on with robust discussion about the performance of the referee.

The introduction of the TMO and video evidence is supposed to provide conclusively and objectively what happened and remove any post match whinging about referee performance.

It seems that all that has happened is that people whinge about TMO decisions for days on end.

I like where swingpass is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.