• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs Round 2 - 2012R02 - Dunlop Shield III

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
MELBOURNE REBELS v NSW WARATAHS
FRIDAY MARCH 2, 2012
AAMI PARK, MELBOURNE
RECORD - NSW 2 MELBOURNE 0
LAST - NSW 28 def MELBOURNE 9, 2011 R11, SFS

Less than a week away from Melbourne's return to Super Rugby, starting off against the NSW Waratahs once again for the Weary Dunlop Shield, at AAMI Park.

Friday will likely mark the debuts of James O'Connor, Kurtley Beale and Mitch Inman for their new club. Rebels captain Stirling Mortlock is unlikely to play.

The Waratahs played well for little result against the Reds in round one, with a big injury list it will be interesting to see how they react to a gutting first-up loss.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Without baiting, I think the tah forwards will be too strong for the good (on paper) rebels backline. Hopefully foley has the sense to drill into the players not to kick to (or near) Beale

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Expect a high-scoring game. Cippers, JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) can put points on any team, but unfortunately, without Mortlock, your backline has more leaks than the Costa Concordia.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
Who captains in Mortlocks absence?

Please tell me it's not a Queenslander - assuming Barnes returns for this match, captains of the Australian sides will be (and correct me if i'm wrong):
Tahs - Barnes (Qld)
Reds - Horwill (Qld)
Brumbies - Mowen (Qld)
Force - Pocock (Qld)

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

Please tell me it's not a Queenslander - assuming Barnes returns for this match, captains of the Australian sides will be (and correct me if i'm wrong):
Tahs - Barnes (Qld)
Reds - Horwill (Qld)
Brumbies - Mowen (Qld)
Force - Pocock (Qld)

It would be Delve or Pyle, likely Delve. Regardless, both Welshmen, of the original and 'New South' varieties respectively.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Expect a high-scoring game. Cippers, JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) can put points on any team, but unfortunately, without Mortlock, your backline has more leaks than the Costa Concordia.

I don't think that you can realistically gauge the Rebs on last year, given the turnover in personnel and the demonstrated improved ethic of some of the weaker links. I certainly don't think 1 player is going to make any significant difference to whether the Rebs backline defence makes the grade.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So many variables in this game.

Tahs
-what will the injury list look like
-will they be hungover from the reds
-can they maintain the breakdown intensity

Rebs
-first week off, how will that affect them
-getting over the rust and up to full speed
-Damian hill taking a step up as coach
-can the frwards aim up
-if the forwards don't aim up can JOC (James O'Connor) and Kurts reign in the chips and miracle plays.
-cab the Rebs scre a try against the Tahs.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Very much looking forward to watching the Rebels backline on Friday! Some very exciting combinations.

I think the Tah's forwards will prove too strong for the final result but it should make for a great contest.

Alcock in my opinion deserves to be dropped for his performance, especially the huge amount of missed tackles he made in the last few minutes of play. It is really his fault that we lost the Red's game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Shame about Mortlock - he's not the player he was, but he would be useful for some leadership and getting over the gain line. Also shame about Robinson - was one of the best forwards for the Rebels last year, along with Sommerville and Delve. Good news that Freier is back, though. I don't think they can rely on Tessman, at least, not yet.

For the Rebels to win, their pack will have to put in a very good performance. If they don't stand up to the Tahs, it won't matter what backs they have.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

Tahs - Barnes (Qld)
Reds - Horwill (Qld)
Brumbies - Mowen (Qld)
Force - Pocock (Qld)

How long can David Pocock be called a QLD lol he is from Zimb and spend 3 years in QLD when he first moved to Aus and has been in WA for almost 6 years now...I think he is a Sandgroper now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
B. Foley played well off the bench. We Sydneysiders saw him play for the Junior Tahs and Sydney Uni last year, and tonight he convinced us that his Sevens expertise was transposable to the XV man game. He looked better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback on the night and one wouldn't be surprised if he starts at 15 soon and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) takes BKH's starting spot on the wing.
Just back from Victoria Barracks where the Tahs were training and it looks like this will happen. BKH was playing in the reserves in the mock game they had, and Foley was with the starters.

Barnes did not train and Hangers was with the Ones; so it's unlikely that Barnes will play come Friday.

Other observations:

- Pakalani looked sharp. He had some kind of shoulder brace on, and it wasn't full contact, but he can't be too far off.

- It was quite revealing how the Ones front row pushed back the Twos front row in the 3 on 3 contests they have.

- No running from Rocky yet; Mitchell walking without a moon boot; Hoiles doing rehab type exercises and not in the main training group. (WTF).

- Players from outside the 35 at training included: 1. Sam Takalati; 7. Lala Lam, 12/13 Michael Hodge.

- No sign of McCutcheon.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Barnes has been ruled out of the match...

It's just a shame the Rebels don't have a forward pack or they could be contenders...

Status
Not open for further replies.