• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebutting the "RU is the Devil" arguments from League fanatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As Godfrey says, you've formed a position without understanding it. Now you're looking for arguments to support it.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
As Godfrey says, you've formed a position without understanding it. Now you're looking for arguments to support it.

Having read a few post from Karl on this and another couple of forums I have formed the opinion that he actually likes both codes and is just getting a little sick of the mud slinging.

As I said before I subscribe to the chocolate theory and have learnt to walk away from the arguements.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
What is this position you say I have formed? I'll answer that for you - I haven't. I have said I am looking for a nice potted summary of Rugby's response or rebuttal of the various accusations leveled at it by certain League tragics. I don't have a position. I am just looking for easily digestible information that can be used to counter accusations and allegations.

And you're right suckerforred, I'm just a little sick of the constant one-eyed whinging about Rugby and it's poor treatment of League down through the ages and I suspect that a lot of it is very self-serving and probably spin-loaded. Some things do appear to have been pretty shabby, but I doubt it's all one way traffic.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I am pretty sure that Pappy was not allowed back in, that was the straw that broke the camel's back for many of us who had been happy with amateurism for many years.

Papworth definitely "came back" and played in the lower grades at Eastwood but it may have been after rugby had gone professional and the embargo had been lifted.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Papworth definitely "came back" and played in the lower grades at Eastwood but it may have been after rugby had gone professional and the embargo had been lifted.

Fair enough, I was overseas at that time, so obviously missed the whole story. I do remember the controversy, though.

The irony is that a lot of club rugby players played league, or tried out for league teams, without any particular fuss being made.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Fair enough, I was overseas at that time, so obviously missed the whole story. I do remember the controversy, though.

The irony is that a lot of club rugby players played league, or tried out for league teams, without any particular fuss being made.

They may not have been paid.

There's been a quite strong history of sports excluding professionals. Cricket, Rugby and most notably The Olympics.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
They may not have been paid.

According to the rules, you only had to play against professionals to be classed as a professional. Incidentally, rugby players have been paid, in cash or in kind, for many years (most notably in France) before the advent of professionalism. Have you heard of "boot money"? Even a number of club rugby players in Sydney were known to be paid, or given a flat, or a sinecure of a job from time to time.

Campo of course was making a motzah playing in Italy, well before professionalism.

There's been a quite strong history of sports excluding professionals. Cricket, Rugby and most notably The Olympics.

Er, yes, that point has been made earlier in this thread. The difference is that all other sports dealt with the professional/amateur split in a far more rational, mature and (dare I say) honest way than rugby did.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Actually, what the French RU did in the 40's to RL in France in cahoots with the Vichy Government was pretty despicable from what I have read on it, but hey, they're French, and it was during a war. How long are you going to carry the chip? As I have pointed out:

Any time one body splits off from another over ideological issues, there’s going to be acrimony and the incumbent body is going to take steps to protect its position from the newly emerged competitor. What do you think is going to happen? It’s the law of the jungle.

also to point out that the IRB readopted FIRA in 1995 and that FIRA was a seperate rugby governance body.

I used to troll the leagueys on the roar, its just not worth it, you have to remember they think everyone is out to get them and hold onto things, therefore legitimising them far longer than any rugger buggers.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
"Being told to 'get over vichy', with out even an apology and an attitude that we deserve it. This is is an event where there has been acknowledgement of stolen property, in financial terms it is now the largest amount of money NOT returned from theft during WWII."

I can't believe this to b true, did French rugby league have a massive deal with fox during WW2?

S

spooony

Clearly shows how shit rugby league are. They had to pay the people to play it unlike Union who did it for fun

P

ParraEElsNRL

Great thread Karl, you wannabe blue blood.

LOL, you're going to give us an education about Rugby and throw a few back huh?

You have proved in this thread and all the other threads at LU that you really don't have a fucking clue about RL let alone Union.

Dumbarse.

Oh, and if it wasn't for RL, union would've stayed dead in qld, and union did play games during ww1.

And the original rabbitohs were the wallaby's.

Need to know some more?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Great thread Karl, you wannabe blue blood.

LOL, you're going to give us an education about Rugby and throw a few back huh?

You have proved in this thread and all the other threads at LU that you really don't have a fucking clue about RL let alone Union.

Dumbarse.

Oh, and if it wasn't for RL, union would've stayed dead in qld, and union did play games during ww1.

And the original rabbitohs were the wallaby's.

Need to know some more?

Yes please, keep going, we enjoy discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.