• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Peter was a 400m Champion as a youngster. I think he might still hold the record. Just to avoid any debate, you need to be a very strong sprinter to run a fast 400m.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
His knees ruined his speed around his mid 20s.

Not sure about that as he played most of his Wallabies career in his mid 20's. He was 30 when he retired in 2012 and played Wallabies from 2008.
What the Reds would do for a player like Hynes again. Not only a good counter attacker but he had a good rugby brain on his shoulders and helped organised the back very well.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/graham-seeking-reds-super-rugby-spark-20140508-zr6lg.html

I only just saw this article (a bit slow, I know), but it really does show how utterly daft RG is.

"
That is probably something I am critical about myself, The last two weeks we have focused heavily on our attack.

This is after the two away games in new Zealand where we were pretty inept in attack and scored lower than our own average tries per match for the season as well as lower than the average tries to be scored against the Hurricanes and the Blues for their seasons - tldr: our attack was bad, even though it was apparently something we were actually supposedly focussing on according to RG.

But certainly this week we have a big focus on rectifying that and make sure we defend well.

So we were to concentrate on our defence for the following game against the Crusaders, which just so happened to be the worst defensive game for the Red's season - tldr: our defence was bad even though it was apparently something we were actually supposedly focussing on according to RG.

The formula is simple - stick tight as a group and there will be a catalyst that brings change. It could be something simple like a referee awarding a try rather than disallowing a try.

RG rescue plan for the season after the disastrous NZ tour was to rely on some dodgy refereeing that favoured the reds. Good plan. Master strategist at work apparently.

Coming into the role I knew what was ahead of me

I am uncertain as to what that comment even means. It's the sort of comment that is made when someone comes into a role knowing that they are going to be having to deal with a lot of losses. He was gifted a team that had a pretty decent record for the past 4 years actually, and in less than half a season he completely and utterly reversed that teams fortunes. Amazing stuff.

Graham admitted he had never seen a string of back three injuries like he had this season.

Toua, Turner and Sautia (and to a lesser extent Shipperley and Davies) - would not have been hard to predict that all three would go down for extended periods in the season leaving the back three positions pretty susceptible to injury woes.

Conclusion: Richard Graham is so far out of his depth that it is quite frankly ridiculous to even contemplate how someone like him even gets a job as a coach at any level at all.

His statements at the end of the season press conference were even more ridiculous.

How is it that journalists go so easy on these sort of coaches? The journos seem ever so keen to probe (or goad) players and other professions pretty heavily, yet I very rarely hear of them really giving it to a coach during a press conference. RG should be being grilled over what he has done this season. He should be being hounded mercilessly, yet no one seems to really care about it.

He displays almost all the attributes of the idiot savant, except for those attributes synonomous with the savant part of the definition.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I thinking relying on some possible future event to be a catalyst rather than working on internal team dynamics, skills and strengths is the most telling failure.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Yes gel, you've repeated such things about RG a number of times. I agree with you that the coach is the biggest problem and maybe a few others here do as well.

But, what can we do about it, we don't get to vote, we don't have a say and we are rarely heard (even though I did email the Red's and tell them my views). Feels like all we can do is wait until the admin wakes up - or we get some different admin members who have the same views as us.

I simply cannot understand these people who are the administrators of sports teams. All the indicators are there. You need a special coach to succeed. The Reds themselves proved this when they hired Link and he took a team mostly filled with nobody's to a Super Rugby Championship. A bloke called Jake White took a team of mostly nobody's to an S15 grand final, and a bloke called Cheika is now doing the same with the Tah's.

Yet they think a coach with one of the worst win record's and poor performance history can do the same? The mind boggles.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yes gel, you've repeated such things about RG a number of times. I agree with you that the coach is the biggest problem and maybe a few others here do as well.

But, what can we do about it, we don't get to vote, we don't have a say and we are rarely heard (even though I did email the Red's and tell them my views). Feels like all we can do is wait until the admin wakes up - or we get some different admin members who have the same views as us.

I simply cannot understand these people who are the administrators of sports teams. All the indicators are there. You need a special coach to succeed. The Reds themselves proved this when they hired Link and he took a team mostly filled with nobody's to a Super Rugby Championship. A bloke called Jake White took a team of mostly nobody's to an S15 grand final, and a bloke called Cheika is now doing the same with the Tah's.

Yet they think a coach with one of the worst win record's and poor performance history can do the same? The mind boggles.

Get a fan forum happening. Many would say the Tahs forum was a failure. I would argue that point. I think that the management actually saw first hand how angry and disillusioned the core supporters were. They wrote it off short term because Hickey/Foley produced irrefutable proof in the form of statistics on how good they were. A year and a bit later Foley jumped ship with some help with plummeting crowd and viewer figures. There could be no doubt as to why as the passionate fans would turned up to said forum told them in no uncertain terms.
I have been a rusted on Tah since the late 70s and my introduction to Rugby, but my interest in the entire game was on the wane seriously with the dross of the Tahs year after year couple with Deans at Wallaby level. The only light I had was the backline play of Mooney at the Reds followed by the Link revolution.

It really is the duty of Reds fans to push for change if you honestly feel that the systems are leading to underperformance, and such a position can be supported by evidence (which I think it can). Do not meekly accept it lest you suffer nearly 2 decades of it like a Tah fan.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The fan forum changed nothing.
The Tahs actually confirmed Foley's reappointment for 2013.
Foley quit for a longer term gig at the Force.
If it was down to planning,the Tahs would have finished 8th in the SS this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.