• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

An article from the Courier Mail indicated that Chris Kuridrani is hoping to use the NRC to get an offer from the Reds for a contract for 2015.

Nemani Nadalo is currently in Brisbane visiting, hopefully he pop's down to Ballymore and has a chat about next year, would be good to see him on the end of some Quade Cooper passes.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Probably a bit off-topic but heard about this on the radio today:

"Logan City Council will invest in a $40,000 partnership with Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) to deliver the Pacific Islander Community Engagement Project (PICEP) in the city."

http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/about-c...try-line-firmly-in-sight-with-new-partnership

I'm no longer fluent in local governmentese but it does appear that QRU & LCC are trying to take our game to the huge PI community in these parts & that's gotta be a good thing, esp considering the resources both AFL & NRL are throwing at their in-school programmes.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
An AFL supporting mate of mine just sent me this

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-07-30/the-grill-players-make-some-tough-calls

Skip to 6:07

i don't often listen to his dribble about AFL, but i'm quiet happy with what Karmichael Says :D

That's awesome. I really can't believe the ARU are not providing any top up to help sign him. Even if he doesn't become a regular Wallaby, his profile is huge and there'll be a lot of interest in how he goes from fans of both league and AFL.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've never got that. People turn in to see how one bloke goes that they don't care about?

Well they don't care in the way a friend might care, but they're interested. Hunt has been a big success for the AFL. They've got their money back and then some in media exposure alone.

People are more likely to watch matches involving players they are more familiar with as well and the media will be very interested in reporting how he goes.

If Kurtley Beale went to AFL or League wouldn't you be curious to see how he went? I definitely would.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm curious how one measures Hunt's success in the AFL? Couldn't be on playing ability and it would be hard to attribute any rise in ratings and revenue directly to him?

Not AFL because I don't watch it. I watch NRL when there's no rugby on and if he was playing then I would but I wouldn't seek out a game to watch one player. Could be alone though. People watch Folau not because he's Folau but because he's a fucking good player.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Unlike Folau Hunt became a legitimately decent AFL player. But he's reached his ceiling in the sport. The young guys at the Suns have surpassed him. But in terms of value he joined a new team and brought them a huge amount of exposure and media interest in Queensland to help get them off the ground. Many league fans and casual league fans would have followed his conversion, and some of those became fans of the Suns and the AFL because of him. Now he is a household name among both league and AFL fans.

The Reds are obviously much better established, but if he plays rugby there'll be plenty of interest in it from both the media and fans of the other codes.

Have a read of some of the posts on this page at the biggest AFL forum:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/karmichael-hunt-is-it-over.1019814/page-18

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Well they don't care in the way a friend might care, but they're interested. Hunt has been a big success for the AFL. They've got their money back and then some in media exposure alone.

People are more likely to watch matches involving players they are more familiar with as well and the media will be very interested in reporting how he goes.

If Kurtley Beale went to AFL or League wouldn't you be curious to see how he went? I definitely would.

Nah, not me. Haven't watched a game of League since converting to Rugby in mid-nineties, and have never had an interest in AFL despite growing up in (then) VFL country. If KB (Kurtley Beale) goes to League, it will the last I will ever see him play.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm curious how one measures Hunt's success in the AFL? Couldn't be on playing ability and it would be hard to attribute any rise in ratings and revenue directly to him?

Not AFL because I don't watch it. I watch NRL when there's no rugby on and if he was playing then I would but I wouldn't seek out a game to watch one player. Could be alone though. People watch Folau not because he's Folau but because he's a fucking good player.

It would be difficult to guage Hunt particularly if JOC (James O'Connor) comes along for the ride as well - suppose it may be that at seasons end the numbers of supporters over the year has grown ????? .

I do think that some League followers, particularly Bronc's supporters may have tuned in to rugby to watch the bloke - AND formed the view that he a fucking very good union player as he was a league player. Everyone acknowledges he was shithouse at AFL

T

Train Without a Station

I doubt JOC (James O'Connor) will bring any additional Reds supporters in.

He's been out of the spotlight for a year now so casual fans won't see it as a major boost and fans that do know a bit about him will be likely sceptical.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I doubt JOC (James O'Connor) will bring any additional Reds supporters in.

He's been out of the spotlight for a year now so casual fans won't see it as a major boost and fans that do know a bit about him will be likely sceptical.

Suppose we'll just differ on opinion there (as often we do). I would have thought that JOC (James O'Connor) would bring a lot more to the Reds than Hunt, both on the playing field and increased supporters. - as long as his off-field antics are non-existent

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Suppose we'll just differ on opinion there (as often we do). I would have thought that JOC (James O'Connor) would bring a lot more to the Reds than Hunt, both on the playing field and increased supporters. - as long as his off-field antics are non-existent

Karmichael Hunt is a much bigger name in Australian sport than JOC (James O'Connor). He'll generate a lot more publicity and get some new people watching that may not have watched many games in the past. The people that will be curious to see how JOC (James O'Connor) goes are rugby supporters that would be watching anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think after the initial intrigue in a convert disappears which is a very short period, it is entirely dependant on how good they are.

Hunt has zero impact on the interest in the Suns relative to Gary Ablett.

T

TOCC

I think after the initial intrigue in a convert disappears which is a very short period, it is entirely dependant on how good they are.

Hunt has zero impact on the interest in the Suns relative to Gary Ablett.

The issue is most people from SEQ don't/didn't know who Gary Ablett is.. He might be the games best player but he was largely unknown in Queensland.

What Karmichael did for the Suns was give them a player the general population could relate to/recognise, a player people would see in the newspaper and on TV that they may take the time to listen to or read articles on. For the first two seasons he mightn't have been the best player but he featured in most articles and press conference, purely because of the profile he carried.

Status
Not open for further replies.