• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Why get rid of Quirk and sign Chabal? That would make no sense. I am hopeful someone is taking the piss with this bit of info.

Surely its a gee-up.

Suppose the bloke would be a stand out marketing coup with the wildman look UNLESS the old bugger's hair has started falling out. Then he's worth $1.50 per year

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Can't say I'm particularly surprised is was Quirk to go, all things considered. What he brought this year was very similar to what Schatz did, except Schatz made himself an integral part of our line out by developing into an excellent front-pod jumper.

For all the shit he copped this year his work as a jumper on both sides of the ball was very, very good. He gets up there very quickly.

T

Train Without a Station

Quirk and Schatz brought very similar attributes to the table as players in 2014.

Schatz brought a stronger breakdown presence, a better line out presence and the ability to play at the back of the scrum whilst also cover 6 and 7 though.

But most importantly, Schatz was the one signed for 2015. So even if it was Quirk with the slight edge, if we had to shed space, he was going to be the one to go.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I've been very critical of Shatz in the past but I agree that out of the 'expendable' back rowers who play a similar style, it should be Shatz who is kept.

My main issue with him is that he seems to already be at full potential, which in all fairness is just passable Super Rugby level. Aside from his lineout improvements, after three years as a regular starter he hasn't really expanded his skill set or improved in gameplay areas. He seems more of a place holder until someone better comes along, rather than someone we can rely on.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Vito would be a great pick up,

Repeat. A great pick up.

I agree that if we're losing one of quirk, Schatz and Browning it unfortunately should be Ed.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Is it his modelling exploits that impress you most?

If you're asking me whether or not I enjoy his abundance of fast-twitch fibers - the answer is a resounding "Yes!".

The extra kit would be to replace the ones I stain with my tears of joy when he goes galloping over the gain line. I like to plan ahead.

@Ash I honestly can't say I feel any differently. The mental projection that started rolling when I'd read we may have signed Chabal is honestly the first time in 5+ years of watching the Reds that I've second-guessed myself.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not going to get to worked up in a lather over the prospect of Vito.

I just don't consider him what we really need. Vito is a real athlete. We need a fucking hard fluffybunny. And that really isn't Vito. When you look at the NZ loosies going around with Read, Messam, Kaino, Vito, etc. Kaino is the one that fits the bill of what we are lacking.

That being said I think having something like 6. Browning 8. Vito or the other way around would be a step up from Schatz and Quirk and you can only sign players from the pool that is available and I don't know of anybody else out there that is available and more suitable.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Exactly, and I don't think you're giving enough credit to Vito. He'd walk into most international setups.

Shit, if you don't think he's hard I'm not sure the vocabulary exists to describe the hardness you think our signed squad members possess ;)

Either way, I think he's head and shoulders above any other option in the rugby world (at least, all the ones that have been discussed as a possibility here and elsewhere) and would pretty much change the dynamic of our pack almost immediately.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That's all right and good mate and I respect your sentiment.

But I will be very disappointed if this goes the way of deriding folks who choose to vote with their wallet. The Reds are supposed to be a proper sporting business (it's 2014, people) and there is nothing wrong with refusing to turn over your money to a business which is producing a shit product.

It doesn't make you any less of a fan and to say otherwise goes into the realm of religion and blind nationalism.

T

Train Without a Station

I certainly don't think the bloke is soft by any means. But he doesn't quite exude that toughness in the way Potgeiter does or Kaino does that really lifts the standards of those around him.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I certainly don't think the bloke is soft by any means. But he doesn't quite exude that toughness in the way Potgeiter does or Kaino does that really lifts the standards of those around him.

Haha well, a guy who has consistently been one of the best 6/8s anywhere for a while and another guy who might actually be a crazy person is a pretty high bar to set!

Status
Not open for further replies.