• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes but one could say the kids that made debuts in 2014 and are in the NRC are probably just as likely to succeed.

Fact of the matter is we can't keep every player, even beyond the 32. There are still financial limitations on the WTS.

So sure, throw up a proposed player. Just let us know who you propose that we cut loose to accommodate him.

This is valid but it sounds a lot like the lines trotted out by Waratahs fans in 2009-2012.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Like the Fainga'as from Canberra with a brother in Melbourne? How strong were there ties to Queensland at the end of the 2009 season?

Who cares - they became a big part of the QLD rugby community and that kept them from accepting multiple other offers over the last few years to stay at the reds.

T

Train Without a Station

Who cares? You're saying Turner has no ties and then refer to players that moved here. I'm asking how strong their ties were when they had been here for the same amount of time then as Turner has now.

Beau Robinson had no ties in QLD but have a look at him now.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While Turner might not have been a star on the field he has been great off it. I've seen him at countless junior rugby events, even some not run by the Reds, and he is always happy to chat with kids and engage with fans.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Turner was the best winger the Reds had this year when fit. We need him to stick around. As for depth the cover in the centres looks decidedly better than wing IMHO.

Will be a massive loss if Lucas goes. He is the second best 10 in the team and the ability to cover 9/15 is underrated and extremely rare.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Who cares? You're saying Turner has no ties and then refer to players that moved here. I'm asking how strong their ties were when they had been here for the same amount of time then as Turner has now.

Beau Robinson had no ties in QLD but have a look at him now.

Maaaaate, he worked at a Goodna hotel for godsakes. That would have instilled Queenslander into the bloke and washed away that contaminated New South Wales blood. Love ya Beau

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
KHunt has officially quit AFL at a presser this afternoon.

"My family and I have been considering my next step as an athlete for some time, and as a result, now is right time for my playing career with the Gold Coast Suns to come to an end," he said.
"I will be forever grateful to the AFL and Gold Coast Suns for giving me such an amazing opportunity.
"I've enjoyed every aspect of it and the game and the Suns will always be part of mine and my family's life."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...eer-set-to-join-qld-reds-20140828-109gsc.html

T

TOCC

I'd take all rumours of K Hunts salary with a grain of salt, rugby union has a much more flexible system in regards to third party contracts so it's possible they have secured a large chunk of his wage through these means..

His value to sponsors probably has him ranked as one of the top 2 or 3 players at the Reds as the most marketable players. Given his NRL and AFL background I'd suggest he probably has a biggest profile then any of the players.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd take all rumours of K Hunts salary with a grain of salt, rugby union has a much more flexible system in regards to third party contracts so it's possible they have secured a large chunk of his wage through these means..

His value to sponsors probably has him ranked as one of the top 2 or 3 players at the Reds as the most marketable players. Given his NRL and AFL background I'd suggest he probably has a biggest profile then any of the players.

Yeah, if Israel Folau has the highest profile of any player in Australian rugby then even before he has laced a boot you can expect Hunt's to be very high.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
KHunt has officially quit AFL at a presser this afternoon.

"My family and I have been considering my next step as an athlete for some time, and as a result, now is right time for my playing career with the Gold Coast Suns to come to an end," he said.
"I will be forever grateful to the AFL and Gold Coast Suns for giving me such an amazing opportunity.
"I've enjoyed every aspect of it and the game and the Suns will always be part of mine and my family's life."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...eer-set-to-join-qld-reds-20140828-109gsc.html

The MILLION BUCKS per year certainly sweetened the 'amazing opportunity". No wonder he is "forever grateful" to the AFL and Suns.

I must be a conspiracy theorist

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm happy to have a "reformed" JOC (James O'Connor) at the Reds next year, but KHunt, no bloody way! As my mate Richo (the dual-international), said months ago, he's too injury-prone, and his best is behind him.

Fact: Hunt has played just one first-grade game this year for the Gold Coast Suns!!!

@$1,000,000 per game in 2014, can we (the Reds) afford him in 2015?
On those figures he should be playing the round-ball game in Europe!!

T

Train Without a Station

Are you kidding Mr Doug? He has been available for more than one game. How many injuries did he have playing NRL? In 6 seasons he played 125 games of NRL and 21 rep games. That's 24 games a year.

During his season in the top 14 he played 15 league games and a rep game for the French barbarians.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The day before the Reds announcement. Done deal.

I did see something on Monday or Tuesday suggesting the Titans were still in with a sniff but, yeah, looks very much like its a done deal. Expecting some fallout from that in terms of why NRL boss Smith didn't use his discretion to throw some extra cash his way (but as pointed out by several people on here incl yourself iirc that would just open the floodgates for the likes of Hayne, Inglis etc).

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Over here there seems to be a real facination with splashing the cash on the pretty boys, ie, izzy, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt, Beale et al. I think the reset button needs to be pushed and start splashing the cash on some tight five grunt.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Over here there seems to be a real facination with splashing the cash on the pretty boys, ie, izzy, JOC (James O'Connor), Hunt, Beale et al. I think the reset button needs to be pushed and start splashing the cash on some tight five grunt.

If we were losing tight 5 talent overseas maybe there's a point there..

T

Train Without a Station

Old school who fills what we need that is off contract that we should be looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.