• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't know why anyone hasn't said this before, but the idea of giving this kid a contract is ludicrous. He's completely unproven - he has a few highlight reels to show of, but aside from that he's an unknown quantity. This would be a giant fuck you to all the lads in the training squads, even bigger than signing any form of league player.

T

TOCC

I don't know why anyone hasn't said this before, but the idea of giving this kid a contract is ludicrous. He's completely unproven - he has a few highlight reels to show of, but aside from that he's an unknown quantity. This would be a giant fuck you to all the lads in the training squads, even bigger than signing any form of league player.

Yes and no..
He has come through the same NZ Schoolboy tournament and been selected in a nZ team that has unearthed some of the worlds best players. The NZRU aren't exactly known for throwing money at a player who hasn't demonstrated his potential or value, for them to offer him a contract as an 18yr old is indicative of this.

As for the youtube clip, of course it doesn't demonstrate his scrummaging ability because thats not highlight worthy, what it does demonstrate is someone who is 135kg who has fast twitch fibres and enormous power. Scrummaging is about power and strength, the fast twitch he demonstrated in running is indicative of the power and strength he could exert in a scrum if coached correctly.

No one's saying he will be the Wallaby saviour at the 2015 RWC, thats not going to happen, but he is an exciting prospect and its good to see Australian Rugby capture a player with raw talent like his.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Yes and no..
He has come through the same NZ Schoolboy tournament and been selected in a nZ team that has unearthed some of the worlds best players. The NZRU aren't exactly known for throwing money at a player who hasn't demonstrated his potential or value, for them to offer him a contract as an 18yr old is indicative of this.

As for the youtube clip, of course it doesn't demonstrate his scrummaging ability because thats not highlight worthy, what it does demonstrate is someone who is 135kg who has fast twitch fibres and enormous power. Scrummaging is about power and strength, the fast twitch he demonstrated in running is indicative of the power and strength he could exert in a scrum if coached correctly.

No one's saying he will be the Wallaby saviour at the 2015 RWC, thats not going to happen, but he is an exciting prospect and its good to see Australian Rugby capture a player with raw talent like his.
The coaching is what worries me

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The Reds scrum in 2014 was the best it has been in years

This has me even more nervous about the young props playing for City right now. I haven't caught more than a few minutes of the Rising match but vs. Spirit our scrum was really taken to the cleaners a few times.

There were some odd scrums where it just seemed like the entire pack was disjointed and not ready to scrummage. One in particular stood out to me as Horwill's ass was about a foot higher than his shoulders on the engage which is just really out of character for him.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Steve Mafi Sam Wykes both Tongans at the Force.

His brother is also working in the mines no better place is aus to be a miner than WA.

I would say where brother Criff resides at present is where Taniela, the "Tongan Thor" will live. It is not necessarily about the Tongan community within the Waratahs, or mining in WA.
For instance, if brother Criff works at a mine in Whoop Whoop, but has his home at Logan near Brisbane, then the Reds would have the box seat; if at Parramatta, then the Waratahs, etc.

P.S. anyone know whereabouts brother Criff lives?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I would say where brother Criff resides at present is where Taniela, the "Tongan Thor" will live. It is not necessarily about the Tongan community within the Waratahs, or mining in WA.
For instance, if brother Criff works at a mine in Whoop Whoop, but has his home at Logan near Brisbane, then the Reds would have the box seat; if at Parramatta, then the Waratahs, etc.

P.S. anyone know whereabouts brother Criff lives?

I think he's a miner in Tasmania, I haven't seen any mention of him living anywhere but there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1. A kid
2. Never packed in a real scrum
3. Famous for non-prop stuff
4. Bigger and faster than peers
5. Seems like the move to Aus would be because he isn't picked in the top teams etc there

Never say never, but unlikely he'd be worth the time.

I don't know anything about the kid, but this sure is a different take on him as compared with the Tahs' supporters.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
reckon he could be a hooking option? He has immense speed and skill, which may be better utilised from hooker? Becomes a valuable centrepoint to the scrum without the more intense pressure that lies on the props.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It's interesting to hear the Kiwi commentariat are getting stuck into him for seeking a contract in Australia.

The irony is too delicious!

Young Tongan isn't selected to play NZ Schools and chooses to chase a professional career in Australia. For the Kiwi peanut gallery to be calling an 18 year old foreigner a traitor is ridiculous.

Good luck to him. Hopefully he gets some quality scrum coaching and plenty of time to mature.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
reckon he could be a hooking option? He has immense speed and skill, which may be better utilised from hooker? Becomes a valuable centrepoint to the scrum without the more intense pressure that lies on the props.

Does he have the work ethic for today's modern hooker? He looks like a bloody powerful kid, but looking at the great Hookers, they're almost a fourth loose forward in their work rate.

If his mother hates Kiwi weather, Richard Graham better show Thor this years weather forecasts. Nice and summer up here Thor and Stiles has been working wonders at scrums!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This Tongan Thor thing sounds too good to be true, and we all know when something is too good to be true.

There has to be some reason why some of the Kiwi schoolboy selectors have decided not to back him. They are usually fairly astute at talent recognition.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This Tongan Thor thing sounds too good to be true, and we all know when something is too good to be true.

There has to be some reason why some of the Kiwi schoolboy selectors have decided not to back him. They are usually fairly astute at talent recognition.

He only holds a Tongan passport.

Apparently they would have selected him if he pledged allegiance to NZRU or something but he didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.