• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon it will be the Captaincy issue. A lot of player criticism in 2014 re captaincy.

Horwill has been a great servant to Reds rugby and reckon he will "relinquish" the position voluntarily ( instead of having it possibly ripped away from him by RG) to concentrate of his rugby.

Candidates have to be Quade, Genia (but he probably doesn't have the support of the playing group), Slipper. Simmons should be there as well but I don't think he has ever been in that role at any level.

Liam Gill may be the smokey - he has captained the Aussie 20's (I think), is still very young and may be a good long-term selection

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
If Genia gets promoted to captain for 2015 I will seriously consider not renewing my membership. Hopefully Reds management aren't so short sighted to give it to a bloke who is quite possibly on his way out and essentially seems to act like a dick on the field.

If the announcement is captain related I think Slipper should get the nod with Quade as VC.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree with previous post re Slipper - excellent choice - but doesn't seem to be loud enough and has enough on his plate.
Gill or Cooper I reckon - Although with Cooper running the backline, and possibly goalkicking that might be a large burden.
Heck... JOC (James O'Connor) seems to have improved so much let him Captain! - #Toosoon?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with previous post re Slipper - excellent choice - but doesn't seem to be loud enough and has enough on his plate.

The biggest issue I have with making a prop captain is ideally, you don't want them playing 80 minutes.

Slipper would make an excellent captain but invariably, he isn't likely to be on the field most games in the dying minutes when the game could be on the line and the captain might be called on to make a big decision.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
This may have been discussed on this thread recently, in which case my apologies, but can anyone tell me aside from RG, who are the coaching/training staff, and their roles.
And just how good are they?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The biggest issue I have with making a prop captain is ideally, you don't want them playing 80 minutes.

Slipper would make an excellent captain but invariably, he isn't likely to be on the field most games in the dying minutes when the game could be on the line and the captain might be called on to make a big decision.

I agree with you. But the Reds have a pretty strong set of leaders who should be able to pick up the slack; two ex-Wallaby Captains (Horwill, Genia), Cooper isn't too shabby and Gilly surely stands out as a natural leader.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whoever is captain, the play in general is always driven by Genia and Cooper (as it should be)

The on field role of captain is the making of decisions - most of those static decisions are predetermined by RG. A level head is required in the moment of battle. The captain also needs to be a motivator of players, one respected by his peers, one that other players will follow his example.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree with you. But the Reds have a pretty strong set of leaders who should be able to pick up the slack; two ex-Wallaby Captains (Horwill, Genia), Cooper isn't too shabby and Gilly surely stands out as a natural leader.

That's why I'd make Cooper captain. He's one of their leaders and generally he'll play 80 minutes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
From the media release. I'm a little sad to tell the truth.

18/12/2015

James Horwill signs a three-year post-Rugby World Cup deal with top English club Harlequins

Queensland Rugby Union today announced James Horwill has signed a three-year contract with English Premiership giant Harlequins.

Horwill, a 107-cap St.George Queensland Red who has 58 Wallabies caps and has led the national team on 16 occasions, will make the move to the famous London club following the 2015 Rugby World Cup, which concludes in October next year.

He is currently the most-capped Queensland captain, having led the Reds on 69 occasions.

A modern-day champion of the Reds who led Queensland to the 2011 Super Rugby title, Horwill will make the 2015 Super Rugby season his 10th and his last and is determined to achieve success when he pulls on the Reds jersey for the final time next year.

“The Reds have been my life for many years. I grew up supporting them, I’ve had the honour of representing Queensland on over 100 occasions and also the privilege of captaining my State, including winning the Super Rugby title - a night I will never forget.

“As hard as it will be to leave Ballymore, my teammates, the staff and all my fans and friends in Queensland, I’ve been offered a fantastic opportunity with Harlequins to experience Rugby in another part of the world and this is right for me at this stage of my Rugby career. I’m completely committed to helping the Reds and Australia achieve success in this World Cup year and then I’ll turn my attention to the next chapter of my life in Rugby with Harlequins,” Horwill said.

Queensland Rugby CEO Jim Carmichael paid tribute to Horwill as a player and a man and said he would be leaving the Reds at the end of the 2015 season with the blessing of the club and all its followers.

“James has given everything for the Reds and is one of the great modern-day sporting treasures of Queensland. I was privileged to be in the changing rooms in New Zealand last year when James received his 100th Reds cap from our Chairman Rod McCall. The emotion in the words he delivered to his teammates that night reminded me how lucky Australian Rugby has been to have someone of James’ calibre in its ranks in recent years.

“James and Queensland Rugby have been working together toward this announcement for a number of months and we have discussed this decision in detail as James seeks a smooth transition to the next stage of his Rugby career. I’m pleased James has chosen Harlequins, who are steeped in the history and traditions of our game and with whom the St.George Queensland Reds enjoy an excellent relationship.

“I’m sure our players and fans will ensure that James’ last season with the Reds is one we will all remember in years to come,” Carmichael said.

Conor O’Shea, Director of Rugby at Harlequins, said: “I’m delighted that we’ve attracted someone of James’ standing in the game to play for us following the completion of the Rugby World Club next year. James is known around the world not only for his uncompromising style of play but also for his strength of character. James will be an asset for us on the field and within the changing room."

David Ellis, CEO of Harlequins, said: “James will be hugely popular with our supporters, who respect his achievements in the game with the Reds and Australia. We are grateful to the Board and management of Queensland Rugby who have worked with us to ensure that James’ transition to European Rugby after next year’s World Cup is as smooth as possible. We look forward to welcoming James to The Stoop later next year.”

James Horwill

Position: Lock
Height: 200cm
Weight: 116kg
Born: 29/05/1985
Place of birth: Brisbane, QLD

Senior Club: University of Queensland
Junior Club: Wests Bulldogs
School: Brisbane Boys College
Representative Honours: Australia A (2006), Australian Wallabies (2007- ), Rugby World Cup (2011), Queensland (2006-2015)
CapsPointsDebutProvincial Rugby10740 (8T)2006 v NSWSuper Rugby10335 (7T)2006 v NSWTest Rugby5830 (6T)2007 v Fiji, PerthPlayed 100th game for Queensland in 2014Most-capped Queensland captain, with 69 caps as captainBecame the 77th captain of Australia ahead of 2011 Tri-nations and Rugby World CupCaptained the Wallabies to 2011 Tri-Nations victory Captained the Wallabies during 2011 Rugby World Cup Captained the Wallabies during 2013 British & Irish Lions tour Captained the Reds to their maiden title of the professional era in 2011Played for Brisbane City in the inaugural National Rugby Championship in 2014, which Brisbane City wonBefore 2009, Horwill played in every Queensland match possible since his debut in 2006 – stringing together 39 games in succession Played Australian U21s in 2005 & 2006 Represented Queensland at schoolboy, U19 and ‘A’ level

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Glad he's he for this year. Shame he's gone for three years, would have been great if he left for a year or so and came back. But he'll pretty much end his career over there.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see the effect this has once he goes considering the lack of locks. The reds just lost their Soul.

Mate - you are kidding. The Reds are full of blokes who live and breathe the Jersey. Blokes come and go - it has always been that way.

Champions move on to either aniother team or retirement. There is no question James has been a stalwart for QLD, a champion player and bloke.

The culture doesn't change

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would bracket, Slipper, Simmons, Shatz, Taps, Shatz and Gill as stalwarts with Browning following. All these blokes are about 24 or 25 (except Gill and Browning)

Status
Not open for further replies.