• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would not be surprised if they threw Hunt there at some stage. Probably has the most experience at 10 in pro rugby...

Hunt had 14 starting games for Biarritz when he was there in 2009/10 - only three at flyhalf.

For the Broncos he was almost exclusively a fullback.

Yeah, losing the utility value of Lucas (and to a lesser extent Harris) was always going to be a potential pitfall; but as Hugh Romney, the announcer at Woodstock, said - "There is always little bit of heaven in a disaster area ".

Some of the appearances of players for their Super Rugby teams this year will not be altogether about 2015 - but about 2016 also. There will be so many experienced players leaving their Super teams that any involvement their replacements get this year will be priceless.

All Super Rugby teams will lose players and not just for injuries.

They will lose their good players for a few weeks because their national body will have it so to rest them for the RWC. In Australia, Cheika (with his Tahs' hat on) will enforce some whacky-looking exclusions to benefit spots that are potentially weak next year.

If Hunt and Paia'aua can get time in the position this season it will serve them well in the next - and if Hunt plays there Turner is not the worst fullback I ever saw, provided he is healthy, and neither is O'Connor.

Therefore I wouldn't play Genia at flyhalf, nor O'Connor.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Its more like a casualty clearing station than a rugby paddock.
List of injured from above reports include:

Greg Holmes - shoulder - (is he over his end of 2014 injury?)
David McDuling
Quad Cooper - fractured collar bone - 10 to 12 weeks
Ben Tapuai
Samuela Kerevi
Chris Feauai-Sautia
JOC (James O'Connor)
(are there any others?)

and not one game played.

I suppose in a number of cases they are niggles and that the lads are training without body contact.
Can anyone put what the injuries are to any of the players and what the expected injury period is?
In JOC (James O'Connor)'s case I believe its multiple niggles.:(

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tapuai and McDuling also out injured. In regards to Quade they should have just let him box he probably would'nt have sustained the injury.

Are these recent injuries? I was at training a week and a half ago and everyone was training except Quirk and Simmo. I was told that everyone bar Ed would be available for the trial.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The Brumbies over the years have had to field injury depleted teams and always seem to come up with a plan to deal with it and win. I remember the Reds being on the wrong side of floggings by depleted pony sides.

This is now a case of can the reds field a team with a game plan they can competantly execute and win with? No change really to the theme for 2015 after a bad 2014.

Come on Woody, show us your Rugby brain.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
McIntyre looked composed for Brisbane, Duncan looked good for the Boncos. Like you said though, hopefully they are ready to step up. We'll see how good the NRC prepped the guys anyway.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It's a shame Quade is injured.

Another will step up. IMO Quade has not shown the brilliance on a consistent basis since 2011. On his day, no different to Genia, he can be awesome.

Quades World Cup chances have taken a big nose dive.

Fuck it - we'll still win

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Daley
2. FTS
3. Slipper
4. Kev
5. Ed
6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Paia'ua
11. Turner
12. FTA
13. ....Magnay?
14. JJ
15. Hunt

Round one, fuck that isn't what I had in mind a month ago

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
McIntyre looked composed for Brisbane, Duncan looked good for the Boncos. Like you said though, hopefully they are ready to step up. We'll see how good the NRC prepped the guys anyway.
Huh?
Count his touches in the final game.
They totally played around him.
The 9 literally did everything.
The 9 continually cut him in preference to passing him the ball.
I'm not saying he will never be up to this level,but he needs a lot more time IMO.
And he is streets ahead of Duncan,who i believe was a very poor signing.
If the Reds are reduced to playing a no name,they are better off calling Sam Lane.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1. Daley
2. FTS
3. Slipper
4. Kev
5. Ed
6. Thomson
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Genia
10. Paia'ua
11. Turner
12. FTA
13. ..Magnay?
14. JJ
15. Hunt

Round one, fuck that isn't what I had in mind a month ago

That's certainly a very big change to the anticipated backline just a matter of a week or two ago.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not good news for the Reds. The one position where Reds 2015 could least deal with losing the incumbent for an extended period was at 10.

Despite the otherwise impressive playing roster, they seem a little vulnerable now. Pity because 2015 was really shaping up to be a good year for the Reds.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I love how it's been mostly Reds fans chatting in here until Quade goes down, then all the experts (from other franchises) chime in and tell us the sky is falling.
All teams are going to have to deal with injuries to key players. I think I'd prefer them 3 weeks before the comp starts rather than 3 weeks before the finals.
But yeah, call us vulnerable or say our season's over. That's just the way we like it.
We'll be right. :D

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I love how it's been mostly Reds fans chatting in here until Quade goes down, then all the experts (from other franchises) chime in and tell us the sky is falling.
All teams are going to have to deal with injuries to key players. I think I'd prefer them 3 weeks before the comp starts rather than 3 weeks before the finals.
But yeah, call us vulnerable or say our season's over. That's just the way we like it.
We'll be right. :D
That

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What do you know of Duncan? I'm not saying he was a good signing or anything but mostly up until now people have been ambivalent about him as they generally know nothing about him.
I have seen him play Holden Cup for the Broncos.
It's a much easier comp,where he had heaps more time than a 10 in Soup footy will have.
I struggle to see what he offers in this grade.
But hey,good luck to him & the Reds if they play him.
I think he would be suited more as a Tahs style 10.
I think he will struggle as a distributing 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.