• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Whilst it had nothing to do with the Reds not wanting Barnes again, it kind of arrives at the same point.

I think the notion of signing a short term replacement for Cooper is completely ridiculous and likely to result in worse results than just playing an existing member of the squad.

Agree.
These are the times understudies live for, or should.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst it had nothing to do with the Reds not wanting Barnes again, it kind of arrives at the same point.

I think the notion of signing a short term replacement for Cooper is completely ridiculous and likely to result in worse results than just playing an existing member of the squad.

the written word of a real Tah

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
With Quade potentially leaving us next year, I can't see the point of having a stop gap. May as well let a young kid get used to the heat of Super Rugby now without any pressure on them. He'd have Wallabies on either side of him (potentially Genia, A Finger or Taps). The last time Quade was out for awhile and we didn't have Harris et al it wasn't the young guys that let us down. It was the constant injuries and disruption in the back line that stuffed us.

As long as Duncan can tackle better than JJT I've got no issue with a greenhorn taking the reins.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
By all means then, go for it. Sign a player from elsewhere to come in and play ahead of other members of your squad for a few weeks.

It couldn't possibly backfire.

Yeah could be a real disaster like one George Smith from Japan filling in for an injured Pocock a couple of years back at the Brumbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Go for it then guys. Pull out the cheque book and see if you can entice Berrick Barnes, the leading fly half in Japan to come and play for you for a few weeks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The talk is up to 10 weeks - season is potentially over by then

That is entirely true but it's how professional sport goes.

Let's assume Berrick Barnes is the best player you could potentially sign. Do you try and get him for round 1 and not even give Duncan Paia'aua a single game to see how well he goes?

Do you not consider playing Hunt or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and assume Barnes will be a much better choice?

You make it sound like recruiting a player from outside the squad to come in and play 10 will be a seemless transition and that you'll barely miss Quade Cooper.

There's no easy option to cover for one of your best players getting injured. That's part of parcel of professional sport.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That is entirely true but it's how professional sport goes.

Let's assume Berrick Barnes is the best player you could potentially sign. Do you try and get him for round 1 and not even give Duncan Paia'aua a single game to see how well he goes?

Do you not consider playing Hunt or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and assume Barnes will be a much better choice?

You make it sound like recruiting a player from outside the squad to come in and play 10 will be a seemless transition and that you'll barely miss Quade Cooper.

There's no easy option to cover for one of your best players getting injured. That's part of parcel of professional sport.

I would give Duncan the trials but have barnes in reserve,

No I would not put Hunt or JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. JOC (James O'Connor) was shithouse at that spot last time he played it. Hunt , who knows but fullback is where I think he is most valuable.

There is no easy solution - just hope Duncan smashes 'em at the trials then no problem.

B

Bobby Sands

Personally, I can't wait to see the kid go and I am confident he will do well.

However, we still have a big problem.

You always need atleast two people capable of playing ten in a match day squad. So even if Duncan kills them, we will still need to see how JJ or K go in that spot. If JJ become the backup 10/15 that changes the make-up of the team a fair bit.

Unless of course Graham is willing to consider JOC (James O'Connor) as an emergency 10, if injuries were to strike (which I assume he would be).

Taps can play 10 a little bit, but probably not at this level. Finger can't. McIntyre crocked. JOC (James O'Connor) has to be getting some training at 10 one would think.

T

TOCC

I'd imagine JOC (James O'Connor) would be the backup 10 if Duncan goes down considering he is the only guy who has played flyhalf at super rugby and test level... Alternatively JOC (James O'Connor) moves to fullback and KHunt to 10... Either way it's a bit premature to go calling for the return of Barnes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah the Barnes idea it was tongue in cheek lads.

I did rate him (always thought he was a very smart, talented footballer who developed a few bad habits) but it would be nonsensical to try and lure him back as cover for 8 weeks. Things would have to be very, very dire with Duncan and/or JOC (James O'Connor). Or they both got injured.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Its just a shame the three players I was most looking forward to watching this year aren't taking the field yet! - Quade, Kerevi and Thomson.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Two or three years ago, the Brumbies signed a short term No 10 when injuries hit, and I'm pretty sure that he (can't now remember exactly who it was) wasn't used in any of the games. Probably contributed at traing though.

And was Daniel Halangahu a short term signing when he played most recently, and actually captained to Tahs?

If the Reds were to sign BB short term, it might work or it might not. (Very insightful!):)

Status
Not open for further replies.