• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
With 5 franchises worth of professional rugby contracts to be filled from 2 (& 1/3 [ACT]) nurseries of talent in Qld & NSW, young talented players will always be leaving QLD and NSW to further their career with the Rebels, Ponies or Force.

I hope you are wrong, otherwise the whole point of expanding the Australian conference - to spread the game nationally, and grow it in the other states like Victoria and WA - is flawed.

I would argue that the ACT is in a category of its own, it has always been relatively strong.

If the Rebels and the Force cannot lead to a significant growth in the grassroots in their home states, then I for one can see the day when they will disappear.

If the price we pay for propping them up in perpetuity is to weaken Qld and NSW, we face the certainty that support for the game in our heartlands will continue to fall.

There are a few ifs and buts of course, but it seems to me that Darwinism will win out. Victoria and WA, put as much effort as you can into growing playing talent, or face oblivion.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If the price we pay for propping them up in perpetuity is to weaken Qld and NSW, we face the certainty that support for the game in our heartlands will continue to fall.

There are a few ifs and buts of course, but it seems to me that Darwinism will win out. Victoria and WA, put as much effort as you can into growing playing talent, or face oblivion.

If the ACT could build such a good record by plundering the Shute Shield comp, I am not sure why Perth and Melbourne can't use a similar strategy. And yet both franchises do seem to be slowly building - the Force especially. I don't share your concerns.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
If the ACT could build such a good record by plundering the Shute Shield comp, I am not sure why Perth and Melbourne can't use a similar strategy. And yet both franchises do seem to be slowly building - the Force especially. I don't share your concerns.

The Donkeys' original success was built largely on the overflow of players from Shute Shield and Hospital Cup, along with local talent like Gregan, Roff, and later Bernie Larkham. The ensuing culture of success allows them to draw in talent.

The Perth super rugby team was supposed to take advantage of Rugby's growth in WA, with the idea being that the club comp would eventually be strong enough to supply more players, and that fringe Super Rugby players would in turn play in the club comp and improve its quality. That hasn't happened, and their fringe players still fly back to play Shute Shield.

For mine, the biggest issue with talent is not too many Super Rugby teams, I believe that it's the shrinking of our junior talent pools. The Sydney junior comp is in dire straits, and the Brisbane AIC and junior club comps are being weakened through plundering by GPS scholarships.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The Perth super rugby team was supposed to take advantage of Rugby's growth in WA, with the idea being that the club comp would eventually be strong enough to supply more players, and that fringe Super Rugby players would in turn play in the club comp and improve its quality. That hasn't happened, and their fringe players still fly back to play Shute Shield..
The Force have not allowed their players to return to SS since 2013 season. (Cummins under the directives of the Wallaby coach is the exception). The Rebels not since 2014. That's why Uni couldn't didn't have a quasi super rugby team at the end of season. All started after Jake White disallowed the Brumbies from 2012 onwards. So only Waratahs and other fringe Wallabies/sevens players return. Sydney Uni's dominance of the comp in the last decade has actually raised the bar for other teams and we are seeing some more teams reach their level which is very high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
starting half at a winning Brums side with the Wallaby 10 or staying at the Reds ? no brainer really

Ah yes, I forgot about Nic White leaving the Brums.

I'm a big fan of Frisby, but if I was in his shoes, I'd be looking at my options too, I can't see the Red's getting out of the bottom third of the table for at least a couple more seasons and unfortunately that will have an impact on our young guys chances of getting a run in the gold jersey.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And if RG is kept on.....absolutely unbelievable.

Losing anyone from Browning, Frisby, Kerevi is just unacceptable, as they are all starters next year. Kuridani as well in my book.

Losing Frisby seems the most likely as the Brumbies are desperate for a halfback. Seriously, losing Genia and afterwards his replacement when Gale was woeful in the NRC shows just how inept the Reds are right now. Back to the mid 2000s with a fucking vengeance but now we have a delusional coach with full board support.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hate twitter, but I just tweeted my third ever tweet to ask @Reds_Rugby if Frisby is gone:

@Reds_Rugby rumours now circulating the Frisby is off elsewhere next year, any comment?

Too many plum wines tonight :(

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I know JOC (James O'Connor) did some work with van Straaten in SA but it clearly didn't work too well tonight.

When we get home, got to get someone in to sort out the goal kicking. Been diabolical this season.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I know JOC (James O'Connor) did some work with van Straaten in SA but it clearly didn't work too well tonight.

When we get home, got to get someone in to sort out the goal kicking. Been diabolical this season.

That and that he was working with Wilko while in France on goal kicking and from hand. I was expecting his kicking to have gone up a level, instead it seems to have gone backwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
The reality is that next year, and more than likely the year after that, the Reds are going to be in a rebuilding phase again. Plenty of new players and a new coach (hopefully). Losing Frisby will not be the end. Losing Kerevi would be a far bigger loss IMO looking at who we will have as centre cover from next year. Gale is an excellent 9... he is 20yo. I find it quite sad how people on these forums stick the boot into young players who have little to no experience at super level. We have 2 VERY good young 9s coming through in Gale and Tuttle but they are young. They will learn and develop over the next few years. At which stage they will still be 22 or younger. I have also read people putting the boot into browning on these forums recently, expecting him to be Vermuelen when he is still 21! 21!

Give them a god damn chance to develop and put some experience under their belt... or another franchise will. Which will trigger the usual "woe is me" response from people bitching and moaning about how they went to another franchise which got the best out of them.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
The Donkeys' original success was built largely on the overflow of players from Shute Shield and Hospital Cup, along with local talent like Gregan, Roff, and later Bernie Larkham. The ensuing culture of success allows them to draw in talent.

The Perth super rugby team was supposed to take advantage of Rugby's growth in WA, with the idea being that the club comp would eventually be strong enough to supply more players, and that fringe Super Rugby players would in turn play in the club comp and improve its quality. That hasn't happened, and their fringe players still fly back to play Shute Shield.

For mine, the biggest issue with talent is not too many Super Rugby teams, I believe that it's the shrinking of our junior talent pools. The Sydney junior comp is in dire straits, and the Brisbane AIC and junior club comps are being weakened through plundering by GPS scholarships.
six of yesterday's Force squad were locals-and add another who was out through injury(Koteka)-dont tell me that's not developing local talent!

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Yes, Frisby is doing a good job at #10 at the minute for the Reds in my opinion, but Sam Greene must be in the selectors mind. Played very well against GPS on the weekend and has a true flyhalfs' mindset and playing style. Also one of the best goal kickers in Australia. Outclassed Duncan Paia'aua by a country mile on Saturday.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Reds have excellent young players and they should see them taking over in the next couple of seasons (providing they will not be lost to other franchises). The likes of Gunn, Wilkin, Fakosilea and Korczyk will mature to form very strong Reds backrow. In particular Adam Korczyk has been a stand out in 2015. Not that long ago he played colts for Uni before he shone at NRC (after given opportunity), got MOTT at the recent under 20 championship and a one week after his Super Rugby debut he scored a try and was one of the best on the field. What a remarkable story.
I look forward to watching these boys in the upcoming Under 20 RWC in June.

B

Bobby Sands

I have also read people putting the boot into browning on these forums recently, expecting him to be Vermuelen when he is still 21! 21!
This!

I honestly read so much of here about Curtis, and just scratch my head.. What do you people expect from a large-bodied backrower?

Tom Cusack is an exceptional young backrower and schoolboy contemporary and he hasn't even player Super Rugby yet.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Well it depends on your definition of a star.. mine would be someone who has dominated Super Rugby, Kerevi is the only young player to do that. Curtis Browning?

Frisby too but he surely can't be leaving.

Seriously why even mention it if you won't give us a name? Even if it is a rumour.

With Adam Ashley-Cooper departing, the Waratahs will need a replacement 13. While A-C was injured, they struggled a bit in that position.
So Kerevi, who is young (21), while Frisby in now not so(23) is my guess.
Also he would have had helpings full of - "ïmagine the opportunities you'll get with Phipps & Foley to play with"

Status
Not open for further replies.