• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

How old is Greene? Is he eligible for Asut U20's next year?

I would be surprised if they picked him over McIntyre. I am guessing that the finals series of Premier Rugby will be interesting in regards to how the 10's from each club perform.

Yes, he is younger than McIntyre.

The decision who they take, if not both, will boil down to more than who got picked in the U20s.

They are completely different players.

McIntyre has a pop-gun boot and an intricate passing game, he is also quite slight.

Greene is more robust, with a big-kicking game, with probably less strings to his passing game.

Will be very interesting how they develop into senior rugby.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Exactly. I think Link did James a disservice taking him on the EOYT with the intention of replacing him. He ended up playing, but was really just filling in for the Wallabies at the time. Would have benefited greatly from a full off-season and pre-season based on his condition.

TWAS - agree and that may be the case BUT he was Wallaby captain who got dropped purely on performance. Mowen was appointed captain and it was only after Simmons got injured at training was James back into the team.

I dio expect a lot out of the bloke because I know how good he can be. James being back to his best will also lift the rest of the other Reds players.

T

Train Without a Station

The problem is he can't win. He says he's underdone and needs to stay home and people would say his selfish. He goes because we really lack depth (remember timani toured FFS) and he's bagged for being off the pace.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fair bit of coin required just to sign Hunt and O'Connor but didn't think it would have been this much.

From the Australian

THE Queensland Reds have forked out between $600,000 and $700,000 from their own Super Rugby salary cap to sign code-hopper Karmichael Hunt after the ARU declined to provide him with a top-up.
While there has been no official announcement that the Reds have signed Hunt, it is an open secret that it’s a done deal.
With the ARU deciding against topping up Hunt’s contract, the Reds had to compete against NRL teams Brisbane, Canterbury and Gold Coast, who are believed to have offered him between $600,000 and $700,000.
The Reds are relying heavily on the recruitment of Hunt and former Wallabies utility back James O’Connor, which is also yet to be officially confirmed, to revive their fortunes.
Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie was unaware of the Reds’ contract negotiations with Hunt, but he confirmed the ARU was not involved in the deal.
“I’m not sure where it is up to. As far as I’m aware it hasn’t involved the ARU. If they have done anything, they have done it themselves,” McKenzie said.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
JOC (James O'Connor) and Hunt will not make a difference to the fortunes of the reds whilst Richard Graham is at the helm.

Unless he is gifted a number of extra special assistant coaches (tactics, defence and hopefully someone who can actually identify game patterns *whilst* the match is actually being played), the results will be exactly the same.

If we are going to stick with the someone so completely useless at their primary role, then it is only with a mammoth amount of quality support coaching staff that I can see us changing anything from this year.

He is a blight on the sport and should really just fuck off out of it entirely.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sometimes you have to spend to save, and Khunt would be a decent sort of investment for the QRU.

ARU is broke and risk averse. I'm not sure it could help financially even if it wanted to do so.

Khunt and JOC (James O'Connor) playing for the Reds should keep the crowd numbers up at Suncorp.

Will they be enough to counter the coaching effects of RG?

T

Train Without a Station

Considering the poor skills and execution of our backs has been a major issue surely two elite rugby backs will help is at least stop bombing some of our chances.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yes, he is younger than McIntyre.

The decision who they take, if not both, will boil down to more than who got picked in the U20s.

They are completely different players.

McIntyre has a pop-gun boot and an intricate passing game, he is also quite slight.

Greene is more robust, with a big-kicking game, with probably less strings to his passing game.

Will be very interesting how they develop into senior rugby.

My thought was that Greene might play Aust 20's if eligible next year. Not saying the Reds should sign the older player.

While McIntyre may be smaller than Greene I have not seen any issues with his defence. I have heard that this is an area that Greene needs to work on. As a result the size issue doesn't really come into it.

I agree that it will be interesting to see who the Reds go with.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Considering the poor skills and execution of our backs has been a major issue surely two elite rugby backs will help is at least stop bombing some of our chances.

I agree that ONE is an elite rugby back. I will wait until I see Mr Hunt's performances before I classify him as such. (but I do expect him to be very good)

Of course some posters reckon that performance doesn't count - Bullshit I say. from the perspective of most teams' supporters, it is the only thing that does count (and winning as a result)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree that ONE is an elite rugby back. I will wait until I see Mr Hunt's performances before I classify him as such. (but I do expect him to be very good)

Of course some posters reckon that performance doesn't count - Bullshit I say. from the perspective of most teams' supporters, it is the only thing that does count (and winning as a result)
I tend to agree although Hunt may come out stinking if the Reds go Rubbish and His paid so much, and it probably wouldn't be his fault.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Karmichael has proven his Rugby abilities at an Elite level. It is how long it takes him to find his form again that will be the big question.

T

tranquility

Not sure if happy or sad

It's alot of money, more than I had hoped or even realised possible based on my earlier posts. But it has to be a good thing. If we get both we have nabbed to the two most talented players available on the market, one could even argue that they were not even in the market.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For an FYI, the minimum super rugby salary for a fully contracted Australian player next year is $67,500. Just found it when looking for something else.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
But it has to be a good thing. If we get both we have nabbed to the two most talented players available on the market,

this is exactly what we supporters thought when both Beale and O'Connor came to the Rebels. that turned out well.

as they say, be careful what you wish for.

T

tranquility

tahs got what they wished for with beale and folau - lets hope its more like that, then like the unfortunately crap rebels

Harsh! They"re getting there.

I just saw Tommy English getting a chop, not that bigger bloke really.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i was merely pointing out that the sum of the parts may be less than one hoped for.

one hopes that RG can manage all the talent (and egos)

Status
Not open for further replies.