• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Goromaru has landed!!

An interview of Goromaru, setting realistic expectations for his time in Super Rugby..
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...ed:+japantimes+(The+Japan+Times:+All+Stories)

I found this interesting:
3c52e969551302ed156296a2b4e817e7.jpg

Roughly makes his contract at the Reds around $150'000 to $200'000. By the sounds of things, they will make that back in merchandising and marketing alone.

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
So we sign Goromaru, and marketing are making a big deal with the Goromaru membership stuff and then I read the other day Graham has no intention of playing him at FB ahead of Hunt. WTF????

Can someone please explain to me how this makes any sense what so ever? Given we basically played Hunt as a center last year I assumed that was set to continue given we recruited a well proven FB in Goromaru.
Also anyone know if tonight's game will be streamed online anywhere?

T

TOCC

I think it's a bit of an unknown, Goromaru has never played at Super Rugby level so it's difficult to say that he will be an automatic starter. Even if he is talented enough, there is the question on the language barrier, you need a good communicator at fullback especially if the Reds are playing rookie halves and midfield combos.

I think he will be used off the bench initially as he picks up the game and overcomes language barrier. Reds only have 3 fullbacks signed and Tualagi is injured, which means Karmichael is next in line. I think the Reds have more options in the centres then they do at fullback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
TOCC are you including Hunt and Green in the signed up FBs?

Goromau has played at inter international level at the RWC. When was the last time Hunt or Green featured in the defeating the Springboks?

Hunt's time to work into the game via FB has been missed. He now needs to step up into a leadership role with some true rugby nous (if it isnt evident this season should be his last). Much better done from the centers.

As usual Tricky seems to play favourites and it isnt hard to imagine that Hunt sees a WB spot open with the re-positioning of Folau. But what he needs to do is work his own game.

And of course playing around with FB is so understandable given the 10 slot is so resolved. Not.

I can see a 10/15 on-field swap between Hunt and Green (attack/defense) but I dont see it Hunt/Goro.

At this point last year I was also concerned with a lack of competition in the locks. Loved the change in personnel but competition is now stuffed by making Simmo captain. Error. AND now we start seeing rumours arise (again) about Gill. (Not hard to geuss that Gill is not one of the favoured.)

Proof will be on the field, but having watched the slow moving RG trainwreck for three years Im not feeling very comfortable.

I realise that there are some excellent rugby brains here trying to get on board the 2016 Reds train. It leads to voicing calm explanations of some of these positions.

Lets see it happen on the grass. For now I'm with Diomac.

@D live stream link is earlier in this thread. Via Reds site I think. That at least is something Reds do very well.

oncewasaback

Frank Row (1)
hunt should stick to the centres stay away from FB Goromaru will be perfect in FB regardless of super rugby level, look how he performed during the RWC.....

T

TOCC

Goromau has played at inter international level at the RWC. When was the last time Hunt or Green featured in the defeating the Springboks?

Past performances are obviously a reflection of a players ability, but you can't ignore the language barrier and lack of pre-season and familiarity/combinations with the other players. This is where it falls into Hunts favour, he played fullback alongside Frisby, McIntyre and Kerevi for the NRC, this will count for something.

diomac

Frank Nicholson (4)
I've decided to head into Ballymore for the games today. A mate tells me there is parking at Ballymore is this right? Just coming from the southside it's a bit of a pita to get to so being able to park there would be advantageous.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Anyone know if the game will be available for replay after the stream ends?

Unfortunately I'll be flying out to Miami early in the morning tomorrow so can't afford to be up in the middle of the night as I'd usually be :(

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Can anyone going today pass on the Downs v Reds U20s score? And any highlights (especially if the boys from this way do well!)? Thanks in advance!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Past performances are obviously a reflection of a players ability, but you can't ignore the language barrier and lack of pre-season and familiarity/combinations with the other players. This is where it falls into Hunts favour, he played fullback alongside Frisby, McIntyre and Kerevi for the NRC, this will count for something.

I can see us running circles here.

Yes we ease Goro into FB. Putting our possibly highest paid player to FB isnt doing this - easing Goro into FB. What its doing is locking him out, or at best locking him into a seconds role.

Who would have guessed that Taulagi's best chance at time on the field was going to be at 14? I wouldnt have thought finding back three utility players was particularly high on our preseason list of challenges.

Anyway. Hope Greene is on fire. Ditto McIntyre. And Hunt for that matter.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've decided to head into Ballymore for the games today. A mate tells me there is parking at Ballymore is this right? Just coming from the southside it's a bit of a pita to get to so being able to park there would be advantageous.

There is a bit of parking at Ballymore but it fills up quick and once it's gone you're a long walk from the gates. Also getting out takes a loooong time.

Either get there plenty early (with the crap weather more people will prob drive) or catch a shuttle bus would be my advice.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cheers guys, I did pick up the stream (thank god).

Well done Reg!

Hmm. McIntyre looked good at 10. Especially defending. And his booming boot. Hunt looked great at 15. Not sure where it leaves Greene who was changed from 15 to "utility".

Its still going to be uncomfortable when Goro steps up.

Also liked stuff from Paia and Schatz. Set piece, from the A team, just superb.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
The Reds have no desire to use the ball.. its clear that RG's gameplan is built around 'negative' rugby. The scrum has become the centrepiece of a dire strategy to draw penalties to get down the field. In the first half it worked well with the No.1 pack on, but it just leads one set piece into another.. there is no phase play. Reds backline had minimal opportunities.. I cant recall any possession with more than 3 or 4 phases. The 2nd half.. migrane inducing.. the B's clearly couldn't hold the scrum YET they persist with holding the ball in and lost penalties! Queensland running rugby is dead... I dont care if its a trial, I've seen enough.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The seconds had no choice but to leave the ball in. The Crusaders had them so low they couldn't strike for the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.