• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You'd think they must have a fair bit of cash on the table for Quade to stay. I hope so anyway because there's a fair whack of experience leaving the squad now.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think that Quade is gone, unfortunately. Would be surprised (a happy one) he he stays. Sad for the fans, as he's a fan favourite and he's still fairly young (just a year older than Foley I think?) and should have been a few years away from the NH yet.

Hanson to the Rebels is a surprise, the Rebels have Leafa, Sexton and Siliva Siliva. At least one of those three must be gone next year, but they had seemed happy with Leafa as their starting hooker. I don't think that Hanson is a guaranteed starter there.

If FTS is till 2016, what about FTA? The sad part is that one of FTA and Taps should probably head off next year as the Reds have a cluttered midfield.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He's also hitting the line to set his runners up, working his ass off in support to get second touches and extend plays, and tackling like a fucking demon. We've been playing a 9 at 10 all season and finally found some kind of fluency in our attack last week - our season is also effectively "over".

Nobody is saying MacIntyre is the end-all-be-all of QLD Rugby fly-halves but he's sure as shit been a lot better than anything we've seen all season.

I have no quarrel with anything you've said there USA, but my point was about a specific area I think he needs to improve. Just wondering if any of the regular Reds fans felt the same.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I am very worried about the Reds in 2016/2017.

A lot of class to replace if rumours are true and a lot of senior players move on due to the fact that the Reds are willing to keep RG somehow involved at Ballymore next season. Possible people leaving etc with the replacements atm is a huge worry.

Potentially;
Quade > McIntyre
Hanson > Ready
Genia > Gale/Tuttle
Gill > Gunn
Tui > Koczyk
Thompson > Fakaosilia
F'Sautia > Kuridrani
Tapuai, Robinson, McDuling, Browning & Quirk also off contract.

Don't forget the members of the squad off contract next season including;
Holmes
Schatz
FTS
FTA
O'Connor
Kerevi

In this day of Super Rugby you simply can not compete with a young inexperienced squad. Boy oh boy they need a big few years of recruitment.

T

TOCC

Yeah they are losing a lot of experience in certain players, but these are the same players who people criticise week in and week out.. Genia and Horwill are according too many people the two worst players in the team and shouldn't be starting..

I think as long as you have experience in key positions then the team can still operate effectively, I think with Saia, Simmons and Simmons signed for 2016 the Reds have that key experience in the forward pack, the missing pieces in the overall team are Gill and Cooper.. As long as they are retained then experience won't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is the status of the current "unknowns" from the 2015 squad. All others have confirmed their 2016 status, which is either with the Reds or elsewhere. The first post on page 1 of this thread has been updated.

Off Contract at end of 2015
Quade Cooper (likely to be signed by Toulon)
LF Gill (loose forward)
Beau Robinson (loose forward)
Curtis Browning (loose forward)
David McDuling (lock)
Adam Thomson (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)
Hendrik Tui (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)

Unsigned from 2016
Greg Holmes (prop)
Ed O'Donoghue (lock)
Ed Quirk (loose forward)
Jake Schatz (loose forward)
Anthony Fainga'a (centre) Edit ( Part of a FTA & FTS package deal until end 2016)
Chris Feauai-Sautia (centre)
Samu Kerevi (centre)
Ben Tapuai (centre)
Lachlan Turner (winger)
Marco Kotze (lock) 2015 EDS

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
my worst fears came true.

Chibba thinks by going to the Rebels his Wallaby stocks will go up. Bullshit IMO totally wrong.

He was the starter over Saia (finally). The Reds scrum is probably the best in Australia. Slipper and Holmes are the form props and Holmes should get a wallaby call-up this year.

TPN is near finished. Stephen Moore probably good for 2016 (hopefully longer). Chibba had the potential by playing in that Reds front row of becomimg a long term Wallaby.

I'll be surprised if he does so from Melbourne.

Having said that, the Reds have shit on him a couple of times in the past so I understand why he has taken the option he has.

Personally I think Chibba has taken a short term view.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
So is Frisby going to be first choice 9 next year?

So far on the books;

1. Slipper
2. FTS
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. Turner (Could be off contact as well)
12. Kerevi
13. Hunt
14. Kurindrani
15. O'Connor

16. Ready
18. Talakai
20. Fakaosilia
21. Gale
22. FTA
23. Taulagi

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Now that Saia is married, maybe the twin umbilical cord is starting to stretch a little. They are both getting older and presumably have some awareness that their careers aren't entirely in parallel any more, so maybe they'll stop with that package deal thing?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You broke the FingerS news @RugbyReg. vvvv. Why no reference to A Finger then? Any reference yet published for FTA or FTS re-signing? on Facebook/twitter?

because it was from an article about Saia and the QLD hooking position.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...James-Hanson-signs-with-Melbourne-Rebels.aspx

Reds head coach Richard Graham said: “James and Saia Fainga’a have jostled for the starting role over the last couple of seasons. It was always going to be difficult to keep both James and Saia, especially when Saia is the incumbent Test hooker and is contracted through to the end of 2016.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am very worried about the Reds in 2016/2017.

Potentially;
Quade > McIntyre
Hanson > Ready
Genia > Gale/Tuttle
Gill > Gunn
Tui > Koczyk
Thompson > Fakaosilia
F'Sautia > Kuridrani
Tapuai, Robinson, McDuling, Browning & Quirk also off contract.

In this day of Super Rugby you simply can not compete with a young inexperienced squad. Boy oh boy they need a big few years of recruitment.

QC (Quade Cooper)>McIntyre
Hanson>Ready - yes Hanson is solid but give Ready a go. If Hanson was great FTS would be on the pine
Genia - has been more cold then hot for a while.
Gill>Gunn - Yep
Tui - hasn't played a game and is famous for a highlights reel in Japan
Thompson was never sticking around for long and Lolo looks promising
F'Sautia>Kuridrani - tie

So apart from 10 and 7 - which is huge granted, it's not all doom and gloom. Especially if there's a wise old man with Grey hair putting a common sense check on all decisions.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would be surprised if Gill leaves the Red's for anything other then the 7's.. 2 seasons in Japan and a 7 Olympics ..

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
They (ARU) need to work out some flexible deals re 7's. In the same way they are allowing Foley to do the whole Japan/S15 thing. Let Gill do 7's/S15.

I realise there is no doubt some scheduling conflicts but I reckon the Reds would rather have him for half the season than not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.