• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With so many positions up for grab in 2017 why wouldn't they talk to Rasolea, he is a Brisbane boy and probably entertained the thought of coming home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because he is in his third/fourth season of Super Rugby and has shown no more potential than Kerevi and even Taefu.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Because he is in his third/fourth season of Super Rugby and has shown no more potential than Kerevi and even Taefu.

I would suggest that vey few coaches in Australian Rugby can develop a player and get them to their best. Most of our top line players are just exceptional talents from the start and few really develop past what they start with. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) springs to mind, the bloke still couldn't pass a ball properly after 100 tests. Then look at Nadolo, could get a start and didn't warrant a start at the Tahs, and was let go only to come back as a world 15 player after 2 years in a real development system. When faced with coaches of the like of McGahan, Graham and Foley what would you do if you knew you had the potential to be better than what you are but just can't get the correct developmental support?

T

TOCC

In the Force backline....
And Kerevi is off contract and been hotly pursued by other Australian clubs and overseas clubs, A.Fainga'a is rumoured to be heading O/S and Henry Taefu has played all of 5mins in Super Rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
LF Gill was immense for the Reds this afternoon.

The Reds look far less clueless when he is on the field, winning turnovers, and creating pressure on the opposition.

A real shame for Red rugby that you have lost him. Is is all RG's (and the QRU Board's) dithering that forced him overseas, or was he always going when Cheika saw him as behind the Pooper, and McMahon for the Gold 7 jumper?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit of both, but I'd guess that more of it being told RG would be gone, so signing on for another year, only for RG to be rehired.

Geez our backline was dire today though, and unfortunately a lot of the blame falls squarely with McIntyre.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Bit of both, but I'd guess that more of it being told RG would be gone, so signing on for another year, only for RG to be rehired.

Geez our backline was dire today though, and unfortunately a lot of the blame falls squarely with McIntyre.
I reckon this is about the most one dimensional Qld back line I can remember. Blame McIntyre but he has 5 straight line non passing bash up blokes outside of him. We need a 2nd ball player option from phase ball and at least one 'creative' mid fielder. Also any chance of getting Gillie to reconsider. ?

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Before we think about a 2nd ball player option we need a first one. McIntyre has consistently proved this season so far (both trials and competition) that he is not up to it at this level. The backs will continue to struggle until we have a 10 that goes forward with his first steps (like every other 10 in the competition seems able to do), can pass accurately, and can steer play during successive phases. The time for this experiment is well past.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I reckon this is about the most one dimensional Qld back line I can remember. Blame McIntyre but he has 5 straight line non passing bash up blokes outside of him. We need a 2nd ball player option from phase ball and at least one 'creative' mid fielder. Also any chance of getting Gillie to reconsider. ?
You only need a second ball player if your first ball player is not up to standard.
QC (Quade Cooper) would have putting these same guys through holes all day.
Keep picking JM,but don't expect results to change whilst he's there.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Now really sweating on this lot beating the Cheetahs & Sunwolves at Suncorp to avoid becoming the worst ever Reds.

On current form, the Highlanders will demolish us in 2 weeks time and can't see us winning away at all this season unless rapid improvement during the break.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Now really sweating on this lot beating the Cheetahs & Sunwolves at Suncorp to avoid becoming the worst ever Reds.

On current form, the Highlanders will demolish us in 2 weeks time and can't see us winning away at all this season unless rapid improvement during the break.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Your boys are only a game plan change away from several wins this season. With the team that went so close to beating us ('Tahs) today, I see a squad that would go very well at 10-man rugby (with the occasional flyer bursting down the sideline as an alternative strategy to confuse the opposition). The size and running style of most of your backs are ideal factors to excel at middle channel rugby. Your 5/8 would be quite capable of running that game plan. You already have set piece dominance and good crash ball forwards.

Even if this wouldn't produce the running rugby so many spectators demand these days, it would bring the Reds to the winners podium more often than not in the remaining rounds. Supporters would be happy with a team that values ball control and has an 80-minute plan to dominate the opposition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No. This supporter would not be happy.

I'll deal with games like tonight if we are building talent and sorting out a base 15.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No. This supporter would not be happy.

I'll deal with games like tonight if we are building talent and sorting out a base 15.
I'm not sure we've got the cattle for running rugby though. We're now 9 wins from our last 37 matches and only 17,247 punters turned up to what should've been the biggest match of the season.

The Reds need to win asap & playing tighter will probably help against the Highlanders given how good they are at punishing mistakes.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Reds have lost to some poor teams - Rebels, Force and Tahs. None are finals contenders. I really hope there has been substantial improvement when we start encountering the heavyweights. Some people are talking about seeing improvements but i think the quality of opposition has helped.

Next up is the Highlanders, then Bulls and Stormers away, back home to Cheetahs and then Crusaders and Hurricanes away. Not hard to see the first win of the season coming until May 21 against the Sunwolves.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Its a bit hard blaming the backline performance on McIntyre. He is a 21 year old with no backline structures outside him after first phase. What is he going to do? He sets up a number of breaks and nobody runs supports lines and then they turnover or knock the ball on. He has good skills and can take the ball to the line himself. The total lack of anything past first phase is the problem. It has been for two years and will be for the rest of this year, but it is improving. Some of the Reds backs also do not have the handling skills to play a high tempo running game and certainly fitness is a significant issue as in the last 10 minutes of each half the were struggling badly.

T

TOCC

McIntyre isn't the only reason the backline is performing badly, basic skills are lacking, a few players are overrunning the ball, passing behind the player and telegraphing their movement steps ahead of execution.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was a big advocate for McIntyre at the start of the season but we need to try something else. Every time he gets the ball he runs across field and cramps up our limited attacking options. We need the 12 to run a switch if he's going to do that all the time to put some questions in the defensive line. Currently all they have to do is drift across field and someone will run into them.
Greene should be given two weeks to train at 10 and see if he can run straight. I'd even take him as a kicking 10 who just pins the opposition down in their half at this stage. Kick some field goals to build some scoreboard pressure too.
I'm also not convinced on Frisby. He has some great skills but service from the breakdown isn't one of them. Gale seems to be able to get the ball out quicker when he gets on the field and it gives the 10 more time and space.
I thought Nevill was good yesterday, especially running wide.
Junior was also good in his first game starting. Think he worth sticking with.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Liam Gill is the best 7 in world rugby bar none. He should have been at the World Cup he should be going to the olympics for sevens and he should be the captain of the Reds. Can someone explain to me how the hell anyone at the Reds organisation let this man be treated so poorly as to see him sign off to go to France. Losing him and Holmsey makes next year for the Reds even worse. So where r we at with recruitment. Oh yeah that's right we don't even know who's coaching us next year or who our CEO is yet. Can we get a recruitment manager who actually has some success or knowledge in this role?

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Time to start playin Greene. Give him a chance as new 10 must be recruited for next year as we only need one development 10. Choices will need to be or should be made between Sam or Jake. If it's Jake we need to buy a starting 10 for next year, if Sam shows enough maybe we just need a workman like experienced 10 as back up.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I was a big advocate for McIntyre at the start of the season but we need to try something else. Every time he gets the ball he runs across field and cramps up our limited attacking options. We need the 12 to run a switch if he's going to do that all the time to put some questions in the defensive line. Currently all they have to do is drift across field and someone will run into them.
Greene should be given two weeks to train at 10 and see if he can run straight. I'd even take him as a kicking 10 who just pins the opposition down in their half at this stage. Kick some field goals to build some scoreboard pressure too.
I'm also not convinced on Frisby. He has some great skills but service from the breakdown isn't one of them. Gale seems to be able to get the ball out quicker when he gets on the field and it gives the 10 more time and space.
I thought Nevill was good yesterday, especially running wide.
Junior was also good in his first game starting. Think he worth sticking with.

Interesting Jets. I was no supporter of Mac at the start of the season. But as things settle into the season I am becoming resigned to it. I probably would have chosen differently to start with, but at this stage it would be an unreasonably tough gig to say to Greene, "you're on, you've got two games to prove yourself, against the toughest opposition we've had so far".

You'd like to think that a more proven 10 will be available next year. So one of Mac and Greene ultimately gets dropped. Greene deserves his chance. But we start feeding him onto the field with 10 to go, then 20, then 30. In the mean time see how Mac develops.

Completely disagree with the assessment that Frisbey isnt up to it. I think he makes the WB squad this year and has "promise" tatoo'd all over him.

Frisbey delivery has been slow as the forwards havent worked out how to counter the opposition slowing tactics. His decission making and passing is good. Very rarely, these last two games, stepping sideways before passing.

Our attack strategy is poor. Hate to say that when I am trying to support this half-arsed CIHC thing in the post RG era. But comparing a) possession stats; b) ruck t/o; c) scrum success; hell even the diminishing d) l/o success - comparing this to points on the board - attack strategy is simply poor.

The halves are key to that, but shouldnt be judged in isolation. Sloting in Greene wont change:-
x forward go forward
x centres that (dont) open up passing opportunities off both hips from the 10
x run meters beyond the advantage line

This all starts from strategy. Lets be fair, though, to the CIHC and MOC in particular. They've had two weeks to work on it. Quality of performance in those two games is a gestalt leap ahead of where we were under RG. Hats off that they have NOT resorted to 10 man rugby.

Right now I think its time for everyone to take a deep breath. Its going to be a long arduous season. We are not finals contenders. Lets see the team focus on the longer term.

Its possible that this includes MacIntyre. It certainly includes one of Mac/Greene. And in my mind Frisbey is locked in for the future.

Over to MOC and Stiles. Fans now want to see development in attacking strategy. Continued work in D (I think Frisbey and Mac are making way too many tackles than is sensible at this level. Kutos to them, pox on the strategy.)

Things that I love is the exposure to new talent. OK Setu is no Gill (yet) but I loved seeing him out there. Matwijou will simply keep developing. Faagase, might have a couple of weeks thinking about wayward knees, but otherwise is peaking just at the right time. Talakai needs to make this season the one where he lifts to Super quality - so far so good keep it going. Ready, a possible bolter for the WBs? Ive never really been convinced by Simmo outside the set piece, bugger me if he isnt starting to shape up, actually had some run m and obvious tackles. Hunt is firing. Nabuli looked cack in R1 and 2, since then has shown some promise, ditto (the over-hyped) Karevi. The Ballymore Kid, what can you say other than "not bad for a kid".

What is missing is strategy. Not to say that we havent seen improvement in the game plan and all round performance. Because we have.

I'll be giving all of them a lot more than two rounds to start making ultimatums. Including the CIHC. And I am definitely not judging performance on a win/loss ratio. That particular horse bolted in 2015 with the re-signing of RG.

For now we need to be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.