• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Basing that on Graham being the 3rd worst record of a head coach and Stiles being beside him the whole time (technically Stile's assistant record is worse than RG HC record as he spent more time at the Force).

I like Stiles, have played for him, but I think giving a promotion and 3 year deal isn't the right option with the other pieces not in place. Although as every day passes it looks like they already in place.

Thinker, thanks for some very good, useful analysis above btw.

I totally agree with the above highlight from your post. There is more Stiles should show and achieve (and not just in set piece which is by no means all there is to top quality forwards play just as TWAS has noted above). And achieve more under a better HC than RG with demands for far higher standards and outcomes overall.

I also agree that with each added element of revealed dysfunction within today's QRU comes the growing realisation is that this body will probably prove incapable of assembling the right process and externally-facing attitudes essential to attract and contract the best HC candidates available.

Sadly, we may need a 2016-dated repeat of a version of the 2009 crisis that led to major board and coaching change etc before the Reds and QRU are thoroughly rebuilt to a good calibre as team, coaching group and franchise management as a whole.

Positive change in the high level supervision of Australian rugby normally only comes about through near-bankruptices and other cataclysms.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Without disagreeing with you in any way, Khunt must be absolutely thrilled that a confidential statement he made to police has ended up on the front page. How the hell does that happen?

Bloody naive if if thought it was confidential. Any "statement" made is prefaced to say it will be given in evidence. That is usually in a public court.

Now if it wasn't a formal statement for evidential purposes and he was just dishing the dirt to buy a lighter sentence he had no real expectation for "privacy".

A bit weak to try and turn it around on people who haven't committed the criminal offences here.

I am told forgiveness is a great virtue, but I have never pretended to be virtuous and I think that the bloke has received and retained a very lucrative contract whilst acting in a many which is highly likely to impede his performance at the duties for that contract. I have worked on railways and mining sites where every single morning/arvo shift I was both breath tested and urine tested at the morning briefing along with every other contractor. It was a one strike policy and we all knew what was expected, when blokes got terminated for positive tests what do you think the reaction was among everyone? Do you think I felt sorry for them and their stupidity? Their family's yes, them no.

Do I think Hunt is deserving of a high performance contract? Take a guess.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Thinker, thanks for some very good, useful analysis above btw.

I totally agree with the above highlight from your post. There is more Stiles should show and achieve (and not just in set piece which is by no means all there is to top quality forwards play just as TWAS has noted above). And achieve more under a better HC than RG with demands for far higher standards and outcomes overall.

I also agree that with each added element of revealed dysfunction within today's QRU comes the growing realisation is that this body will probably prove incapable of assembling the right process and externally-facing attitudes essential to attract and contract the best HC candidates available.

Sadly, we may need a 2016-dated repeat of a version of the 2009 crisis that led to major board and coaching change etc before the Reds and QRU are thoroughly rebuilt to a good calibre as team, coaching group and franchise management as a whole.

Positive change in the high level supervision of Australian rugby normally only comes about through near-bankruptices and other cataclysms.

Can Australian Rugby afford such a failure? With the Tahs failing spectacularly last night and still unable to fill the SFS for a home semi, rugby remains in a precarious state. I don't think we can afford to have the only successful province in this country to collapse again under incompetence.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
No Australian Rugby can't afford such a failure. Reds have burnt so much goodwill this year. Such a shame considering the highs of only two seasons ago when they made their third finals appearance in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
An observation:

When we look at the combination of raw talent, great team skill and coaching excellence revealed within the two Kiwi teams that won on Saturday, anyone who thinks the Reds can ever get back up into S18 QFs, SFs and GFs without a really outstanding total coaching capability (incl S&C) all headed by a top-notch proven HC, is just totally dreaming.

NZ rugby is getting better in almost all aspects of the game and, just as much, managerially.

And that's before we get down to the likely calibre of the Reds' 2016 player roster which, on paper, is looking decidedly thin when compared to say this year's top 6 teams.

When you have a squad like the Reds' 2016 version, and the obvious loss of so many seasoned Reds players, the calibre of coaching needed to drive player development and motivation and so on just increases.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Reckon the Reds boys would give Hunt a wide berth and will never be really accepted into the group.

It os a sha,e the QRU did not take their opportunity a few months ago

My personal favourite from this weekend's revelations re KH's heavy drug and alcohol bingeing (around the time the QRU was promoting his signing) was that he ascribed much of it to 'the stress associated with changing codes and teams'.

Amongst other things, what does this say about this man's character, mental strength and fortitude?

T

Train Without a Station

And that's before we get down to the likely calibre of the Reds' 2016 player roster which, on paper, is looking decidedly thin when compared to say this year's top 6 teams.

Most of your comments are fair. But what did people say of the Reds at the start of 2010? Or even the Highlanders this year.

The perceived caliber of a squad can change a lot in 12 months.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
An observation:

When we look at the combination of raw talent, great team skill and coaching excellence revealed within the two Kiwi teams that won on Saturday, anyone who thinks the Reds can ever get back up into S18 QFs, SFs and GFs without a really outstanding total coaching capability (incl S&C) all headed by a top-notch proven HC, is just totally dreaming.

NZ rugby is getting better in almost all aspects of the game and, just as much, managerially.

When you have a squad like the Reds' 2016 version, and the obvious loss of so many seasoned Reds players, the calibre of coaching needed to drive player development and motivation and so on just increases.

agree with a lot of that.

The Reds were just about dominant at set piece time all year. We lose only one of that group, being Horwill and replaced with neville. I don't think there will be a significant change for the worse.

The backline continues to be the major concern to me. Genia ( and now questionable if leaving),m Cooper gone both leave a big hole even though neither has played to expectation consistently (for whatever reason). Couple of handy lads out wide but its the playmaking role that has me concerned. Reckon the Reds are scouring the world for a good 10.

The backroom seems to be OK with Assistant coach, S&C's., Thorn, Connolly etc

Head Coach is the other MAJOR concern for me and I think everyone else as well.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Most of your comments are fair. But what did people say of the Reds at the start of 2010? Or even the Highlanders this year.

The perceived caliber of a squad can change a lot in 12 months.

Very good and fair point.

Link came in afresh in 2010, the key change. But JJ has been with the Clan for some years.

I guess a key parameter in what you say is this: how many players from 2009 (Reds) and 2014 (Clan) respectively were of the class and potential to be the winning rocket fuel for the season that came next and when led by very competent coaching?

And, comparing that question to the 2015 Reds 'stayers' and likely 2016 Reds squad, do we realistically see just that same type of potential?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@RH - yes with the correct guidance there are players with the potential to take the side to the finals next year. The key is game plan, S&C, and the ability to replace QC (Quade Cooper).

However the players all have to be a cohesive team and as Scrubber said above there is the potential for division in the side with Hunt in particular. Senior players that remain will not readily forget that he was made VC over long time players with a far more professional approach to the game. We may on the surface think that the QRU wouldn't have known, and they probably didn't but I doubt greatly if the players didn't know something. That sort of bitterness tends to hang around.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
So what are the positions we need to fill? I think we need another hooker, possibly another blindside/8 depending on what Thomson does, another halfback, another fly half, another wing if JOC (James O'Connor) is going to Toulon, and another Centre if Tapuai is going to the Force. Could we sign Matt Lucas for the back up halfback or is that what Tuttles been signed for?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So what are the positions we need to fill? I think we need another hooker, possibly another blindside/8 depending on what Thomson does, another halfback, another fly half, another wing if JOC (James O'Connor) is going to Toulon, and another Centre if Tapuai is going to the Force. Could we sign Matt Lucas for the back up halfback or is that what Tuttles been signed for?
Edit - should read more closely. Thought you said Ben.

Lucas has resigned with Montpellier for next year.

Not that contracts appear to mean anything anymore

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Is there any reason we shouldn't sign him? He played quite well in a few games for the Tahs and I think he would be a better option then Scott Gale.

Status
Not open for further replies.