• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

something

Jim Clark (26)
I agree that Lucas would be better than Gale.

Reds don't have the ANYTHING to challenge for S15 title next year, but they have some seriously good young guys coming through and if they implement a solid coach for say, a 3 year tenure - they could work towards a S18 title in 2018.

9 & 10's Pickle/Lucas & Greene/McIntyre could make for some deadly combos - especially with dangerous runners like Sautia, Kerevi & Hunt outside them.

Any sunnybank fans have any info on junior laloifi? everything i've seen from him is pretty damn good but is super standard at all?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So what are the positions we need to fill? I think we need another hooker, possibly another blindside/8 depending on what Thomson does, another halfback, another fly half, another wing if JOC (James O'Connor) is going to Toulon, and another Centre if Tapuai is going to the Force. Could we sign Matt Lucas for the back up halfback or is that what Tuttles been signed for?

Keeping Thomson depends on whether the Reds get a 10 from overseas.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Was it Junior who scored that great try in the NRC final where he just pinned the ears back and Gassed everyone? I love him but i think F'Sautia needs to have a big season next year. He's played well in the last few games but he has done shit all this season. Who should be our backrow next year if Thomson leaves? Will it be 6. Browning 7. Gill 8. Schatz or will we give some other blokes a chance like 6. Korzyk/ Quirk 7. Gill 8. Fakaosiliea?

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
That's a bit harsh on Chris Feauai-Sautia. The guy was shuffled around between wing and centre for most of the season. Only in his last few games did he play on his preferred right wing (around about the time Knuckles came onboard). Has he actually signed on for the Reds next year?
Because there was talk about the Waratahs being interested in him.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is there any reason we shouldn't sign him? He played quite well in a few games for the Tahs and I think he would be a better option then Scott Gale.
I think I remember seeing that he's signed to play overseas next season, maybe Italy?

Perhaps one of the Manly/NSW guys would know.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Junior Laloifi is a little small for Super Rugby. Had a chance with a few starts in the NRC but made little impact. Made huge impact off the bench though against tiring teams, including that cracker of a try in the final. He also scored a few nice tries late earlier games in the season. I don't think he could make the step up, though.

The Hunt signing is just a big mess in hindsight. At the time it looked like a great signing. The obvious stupidity was making him VC and shunting QC (Quade Cooper), Genia and Horwill, that was just pure dumb Graham. To make matters worse than the drug saga, Hunt's performances on the field were not anywhere near what he is paid in comparison to the team. The loss of an irreplacable guy like QC (Quade Cooper) while Hunt remains on huge money is just painful. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, though.

There's no doubt the Reds squad is going to be weaker next year. JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Genia, Hanson and Horwill will leave huge holes, the only one close to being filled is from Neville, but gees he struggled to make the 23 for the Rebels this year prior to announcing his departure so you can assume he will be a step down even from the depleted Horwill. Taps is also likely to be gone. There's also the possibility that Browning could be gone, along with McDuling and Beau and Turner. Add all this up, and even with some decent signings the 2016 roster is a LOT weaker than 2015.

The one big hope we have right now is they get a good head coach. Another year of Graham but with an even weaker roster? Fuck me.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Who should be our backrow next year if Thomson leaves? Will it be 6. Browning 7. Gill 8. Schatz or will we give some other blokes a chance like 6. Korzyk/ Quirk 7. Gill 8. Fakaosiliea?

Surely 6. Browning 7. Gill 8. Schatz is a mild example of insanity.
Lolo or (insert bigger bopper here) has to be given a decent crack.

There's a reason those guys (incl. Quirk) included haven't had rumors in the paper re transfers (at least not to my knowledge). LFG is excluded from this conversation.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would have preferred the primary hooker to be Hanson instead of Fainga'a.

I have liked what the twins have brought to the reds in the past, but to my totally unresearched eye they seem to be rarely on the field these days. When they are on the field, they don't bring what they once did either.

Ready for back up.

T

Train Without a Station

On the bright side, myself and a few other senior players went down to support the Bond Pirates under 12s in their GCDRU Grand Final on Saturday before our game.

Very impressed to see James Slipper a former junior many years ago, come down to address the boys before their game. Well done James.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would have preferred the primary hooker to be Hanson instead of Fainga'a.

I have liked what the twins have brought to the reds in the past, but to my totally unresearched eye they seem to be rarely on the field these days. When they are on the field, they don't bring what they once did either.

Ready for back up.

Agree - Whoever the hooker at the Reds is over the next couple of years will make a run for the wallabies, simply because they have a very good scrummaging unit.

Still filthy Reds let Chibba go

Reactions: gel

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree - Whoever the hooker at the Reds is over the next couple of years will make a run for the wallabies, simply because they have a very good scrummaging unit.

Still filthy Reds let Chibba go

Agree - Chibba was clearly developing well as a very good no 2 and, just as much, very capable ball carrier, one sensed he had plenty of upside to come and that's exactly what's needed for a progressive Reds' squad led by good coaching. Saia F has at best plateaued. And if the latter was/is an indivisible package with Ant, well IMO Ant's time has well and truly come and gone, great warrior in his best days, probably now time for a lucrative season or two in France.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Problem with all of that is the F's signed two year deals in May of last year, for 2015 + 2016 when both were first choice in their position (and S was about to go on and play International standard).

You can't pay two players top Super Rugby $$ for the same position, because one will have to be a reserve, S is getting the 2 money at the moment.

Not saying that it's right, but that's the reality.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
S Fainga'a had injury issues this season like most of the Reds seemed to. Prior to that he was playing extremely well for the Wallabies and deserved first crack as starter.

I think he will still be a great asset for at least the next two years and his minutes will reduce to allow a younger hooker to get more and more game time.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Just saw this highlights package on twitter of Taniela Tupou playing in Brisbane.

Thought some positivity might be in order given how the season went and how some people seem intent on banging on about it!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Problem with all of that is the F's signed two year deals in May of last year, for 2015 + 2016 when both were first choice in their position (and S was about to go on and play International standard).

You can't pay two players top Super Rugby $$ for the same position, because one will have to be a reserve, S is getting the 2 money at the moment.

Not saying that it's right, but that's the reality.
My understanding is it goes beyond money and related to Chibba needing to play something closer to 80 regularly if he wanted to crack the wallabies. Even if the reds could've paid to keep him he'd have some pretty serious competition for a start for another year, and would struggle to get more than 50 or 60 minutes regularly. It sucks and while it's probably not the best squad management, it's a tricky situation to sort out at the best of times.

T

Train Without a Station

Strewthcobber is on the money. The Fainga'as were contracted at the end of 2014 when Saia was the top performer. At that point Hanson hadn't shown to be vastly superior, and Saia had been a proven test performer.

You can only go with what you know at the time, and at the time Saia was known to be better. That meant come 2015 he was locked in and Hanson was off-contract so he was of course not going to be able to have a competitive offer tabled when the Rebels were offering him number 1 money.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Just saw this highlights package on twitter of Taniela Tupou playing in Brisbane.

Thought some positivity might be in order given how the season went and how some people seem intent on banging on about it!

A while ago there was some contradiction about his scrummaging ability on here. Is there a consensus that he can hold his own at THP? And what about in defence?

Status
Not open for further replies.