• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I'm not sure what to blame Cordingly for? McDuling played 12 games since the start of 2012. That's 3 games per year in his time. He has not had a season where he wasn't unavailable for multiple games due to injury.

Surely not offering a contract was the right move in this case.

Someone was upset that he didn't re-sign. As I said: that person can blame Cordingly for it as he(allegedly) made the negotiations almost impossible, hence the reason David took up an offer elsewhere even though he wanted to repay the Reds and the Reds wanted to keep him. This is unfortunately a common trend in contract negotiations with the QRU at the moment. There are huge disconnects within the organisation.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Douglas wants to return to oz because of his pregnant girlfriend, who happens to be from Brisbane..

Reds are well short of depth at lock for 2016 so Kane would be a good signing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see Kane Douglas playing for the Wallabies in 2016 year, if this report in Planet Rugby is correct:
" Easterby added: "We have been in discussions with the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and with Kane for a few weeks now and we have made our position very clear. Kane is contracted to Leinster Rugby for another two seasons and we look forward to welcoming him back when his commitments with the ARU come to an end."
I mean, he has to have either played 60 games as a Wallaby, or committed to the Super Rugby season for 2016, which cannot happen if what Easterby of Leinster club says is correct.

T

TOCC

So possible 2016 lineup:

1. James Slipper
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Greg Holmes
4. Caderyn Neville/Kane Douglas*
5. Rob Simmons
6. Adam Korczyk
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
11. Chris Kuridrani
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Karmichael Hunt
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. James O'Connor

16. Andrew Ready
17. Sam Talakai
18. Sef Fa'agase
20. Michael Gunn/Lolo Fakosilea
21. James Tuttle
22. Duncan Paia'aua
23. JJ Taulagi

Head coach aside the other glaring weakness or question mark is 5/8; Sam Greene, Jake McIntyre and Duncan Paia'aua are the local options but are all young and inexperienced.

Depth at lock and in the back row are still an issue, whats the status of Marco Kotze?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I'm pretty sure Duncan was playing in the centres for u20. Not sure he is a 10 prospect.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So possible 2016 lineup:

1. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper
5. Rob Simmons
6. Adam Korczyk
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
11. Chris Kuridrani
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Karmichael Hunt
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. James O'Connor

16. Andrew Ready
17. Sam Talakai
18. Sef Fa'agase
21. James Tuttle
22. Duncan Paia'aua
23. JJ Taulagi

Head coach aside the other glaring weakness or question mark is 5/8; Sam Greene, Jake McIntyre and Duncan Paia'aua are the local options but are all young and inexperienced.

Depth at lock and in the back row are still an issue, whats the status of Marco Kotze?

Holmes at 1 and Slipper at 3

Probably would work but why change what ain;t broke

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
After @RugbyReg's recent update, that leaves these from 2015 Team Red as unknown:

Off Contract at end of 2015
Quade Cooper (likely to be signed by Toulon)
Beau Robinson (loose forward)
Adam Thomson (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)
Hendrik Tui (Foreign Marquee) (loose forward)
Richard Graham (Coach)

Unsigned/Unknown for 2016
Pettowa Paraka (prop) 2015 EDS
Ed O'Donoghue (lock)
Marco Kotze (lock) 2015 EDS
Ed Quirk (loose forward)
Jake Schatz (loose forward)
Lolo Fakosilea (loose forward) 2015 EPS
Scott Gale (halfback) 2015 Short Term Contract
Jake McIntyre (flyhalf) 2015 EDS
Sam Greene (flyhalf) 2015 Short Term Contract
Samu Kerevi (centre)
Lachlan Turner (winger)
Tom Banks (winger) 2015 Short Term Contract

Still a few announcements that can be made at the Galah Ball.

See the first post on Page 1 of this thread for an updated list of who has signed for Reds 2016.
Edited. Thanks RugbyReg.

Pettowa Paraka - Negotiating
Ed O'Donoghue - Negotitating
Sam Greene - Negotiating
Ed Quirk - Negotiating
Lachlan Turner - Negotiating
Tom Banks - Negotiating

Marco Kotze - France 2016
Jake Schatz - 2016 off contract
Lolo Fakosilea - 2016 off contract
Scott Gale - 2016 off contract
Jake McIntyre - Signed 2016, possibly 2017
Samu Kerevi - 2016 off contract

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
So possible 2016 lineup:

1. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper
5. Rob Simmons
6. Adam Korczyk
7. Liam Gill
8. Curtis Browning
9. Nick Frisby
10.Bryce Hegarty
11. Chris Kuridrani
12. Samu Kerevi
13. Karmichael Hunt
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. James O'Connor

16. Andrew Ready
17. Sam Talakai
18. Sef Fa'agase
21. James Tuttle
22. Duncan Paia'aua
23. JJ Taulagi

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
My opinions:

Props:
Paraka should be kept if possible, he's still only about 21. I think he's a better scrummager than the injury prone Daley, too. Likely to replace Daley post 2016.

Locks:
- Ed O'D should be let go unless they are desperate.
- Kotze and Murday both lost? (Is that a rumour or true for Kotze? I thought he would've been kept.) If Kotze is gone, and Murday is gone, and Horwill is gone, and McDuling is gone, then what a cluster fuck at lock right now! No wonder they are desperate for Douglas. There's literally no-one after Simmons and Neville, so no doubt Ed O'D will need to run around another year despite being well past it. If one of them gets injured, then what? If they have to pay, say, 300k to get Douglas, I reckon it would've been better paid to keep Quade. Douglas is a good Super rugby player who has had one really stellar year (2014), but he's not worth that much.

Flankers:
- Can't see Quirk being kept, shame but it's pro football and he doesn't fit into the Reds team right now with Schatz, Browning, Lolo and maybe Thomson.
- What's happening with Beau? With Gunn signed, I guess he'll be let go. He'll be missed by Reds fans.

9:
Not sure Gale will be kept, he's been a bit disappointing. So the rumours of his departure aren't surprising. They might look to Tuttle as the backup, then.

10:
Greene should be dependent upon Cooper. I think Cooper is gone, but screw any other high profile signing, Cooper is the one guy left they desperately need. If Cooper is gone, then Greene will probably be the backup behind McIntyre. Pretty worrying at 10. I think we're in a bit of trouble at 10, actually.

Wingers:
Another position we're in trouble with. We are really lacking an attacking weapon in our back 3 outside of JOC (James O'Connor).
- Turner has been good for the Reds. He's a limited player, but he's solid. Like most of our outside backs, he's injury prone. Would be good to keep for another year.
- Banks would be good to see run around in the NRC.

I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) is gone too, sadly.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
We don't have to be in trouble at 10. Jake and Duncan could both be quite serviceable if they really put the hard work in. And I mean unbelievably hard work.

Not every team has a cooper or cruden at 10.

A solid go to game plan and very hard work and this reds squad may just be competitive enough to deserve to be in the competition.

Do the players left in the squad have the resolve? Does the management have the capability of creating the environment that gets results?

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
My opinions:

Props:
Paraka should be kept if possible, he's still only about 21. I think he's a better scrummager than the injury prone Daley, too. Likely to replace Daley post 2016.
Will most likely stay put, needs some serious S&C work.

Locks:
- Ed O'D should be let go unless they are desperate.
- Kotze and Murday both lost? (Is that a rumour or true for Kotze? I thought he would've been kept.) If Kotze is gone, and Murday is gone, and Horwill is gone, and McDuling is gone, then what a cluster fuck at lock right now! No wonder they are desperate for Douglas. There's literally no-one after Simmons and Neville, so no doubt Ed O'D will need to run around another year despite being well past it. If one of them gets injured, then what? If they have to pay, say, 300k to get Douglas, I reckon it would've been better paid to keep Quade. Douglas is a good Super rugby player who has had one really stellar year (2014), but he's not worth that much.
Definitely a spot of bother for the Reds with majority of the second string reserves let go. They will be paying prime $ for the services of Douglas will need a second signing because there is no one in clubland

Flankers:
- Can't see Quirk being kept, shame but it's pro football and he doesn't fit into the Reds team right now with Schatz, Browning, Lolo and maybe Thomson.
- What's happening with Beau? With Gunn signed, I guess he'll be let go. He'll be missed by Reds fans.
Beau will be leaving at the seasons end. It's believe Tui will renegotiate after the WC but is willing to return to QLD. Thompson will be on standby to the decision made by Cooper. Tala Gray is off contract at the Waratahs looked promising in the NRC maybe even Cottrell depending on his Commitments with the Force

9:
Not sure Gale will be kept, he's been a bit disappointing. So the rumours of his departure aren't surprising. They might look to Tuttle as the backup, then.
Both Tuttle and Gale are on the books for next year will be fighting over the reserve position

10:
Greene should be dependent upon Cooper. I think Cooper is gone, but screw any other high profile signing, Cooper is the one guy left they desperately need. If Cooper is gone, then Greene will probably be the backup behind McIntyre. Pretty worrying at 10. I think we're in a bit of trouble at 10, actually.
If Quade leaves the Reds will be looking internationally for a replacement hendr the pending decision to keep Thompson. Greene and McIntyre will need more experience to become a solid second string 10. Will need to have strong NRC seasons.

Wingers:
Another position we're in trouble with. We are really lacking an attacking weapon in our back 3 outside of JOC (James O'Connor).
- Turner has been good for the Reds. He's a limited player, but he's solid. Like most of our outside backs, he's injury prone. Would be good to keep for another year.
- Banks would be good to see run around in the NRC.

I reckon JOC (James O'Connor) is gone too, sadly.
Another position in some serious strife. O'Connor for the moment is staying however if not booked on a plane to England could be lost to the ARU. The Reds are lacking genuine pace on the fringes maybe someone like Kingston wouldn't be a bad addition. Otherwise no real word on replacements

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Given that the Reds own both QLD NRC teams I hope they will play the young fly halves in every game.

We need to see if these "kids" can perform as Men.

To me this is what NRC is about and since we have two teams then we can let the two main contenders play off against each other.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd hope that Duncan doesn't get slotted in solely because of his Reds contract. From what I've seen out of Brisbane Premier this year he's not exactly at the top of the pecking order for 10s.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd hope that Duncan doesn't get slotted in solely because of his Reds contract. From what I've seen out of Brisbane Premier this year he's not exactly at the top of the pecking order for 10s.

He will likely replace Tapuai as a replacement 12

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon they'll make Greene move to Country.

Gale was really, really poor last year in the NRC prior to getting injured. If he plays well though Country could have a young and interesting backline, with Gale, Greene (potentially), Duncan at 9, 10, 12, Tuilagi at 15. There's also CFS, who I thought would go to Country last year, Ant and Magnay, although currently I don't rate the young kid. He's got a lot of improving to do, but he is young.

City's backline looks nice again, though - Frisby, McIntyre, Kerevi (if not picked for the WC, I think it's likely he won't be), ? at 13 (was White last year, and I thought he went well), Kuridrani, Turner on the wings, and Hunt at 15. If CFS goes to City that'd be interesting, but that backline would lack a lot of finesse.

There's also Taps, although he may play for Spirit.

B

Bobby Sands

Duncan was excellent at the U20s.

He played 12, and is running and distribution game really came to the fore.

We really have little idea what he offers at 10 at this stage. Good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.