• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Given one RG has just been reappointed, can we just put a line through 2016 and move onto 2017?

Will we get a new coach? Will we still have any proven players left in the squad? Will LFG still be here?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After the traditional and ritual scapegoating following "disappointing" RWC15 performance against usually unrealistic expectations from National Unions, there will be a few top notch coaches on the Market in early 2016.

I'm not sure that they will hang around doing "gardening" waiting for the Reds HC position to be re-advertised, assuming that RG has only been extended to the end of 2016. They couldn't/wouldn't have engaged him to beyond 2016 would they, and clearly they are not prepared to fire him mid contract, based on past precedent. It sounds like Reds won't be getting anyone with sufficient gravitas or experience for quite some time. This is not a good position for Australian Rugby to be in.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Unless they got Richard Graham for a bargain basement price with the sole intention of hiring a more experienced coach after the RWC? A Warren Gatland type perhaps?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I was only joking about starting this thread, but now that it's here, I feel a sense of optimism once again.

Can we make it a rule though that since RG won't be a part of the 2017 Reds that from this post on, he doesn't get a mention?

Yes?

Fantastic! :D

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I was debating whether we start a Reds Positivity thread or a Reds 2017 thread, but figured we'd have a new coach in 2017 and that would be enough positivity..

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
How do you guys know RG won't be there in 2017?

From the current press release he beat 20 other contenders for the 2016 head coach position, and this was done under a complete loser scenario for the last 2 years he was in charge. With that sort of track record, he should easily bolt it in for Reds coach 2017.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I hope the boys can continue the great for they displayed beating the Tahs to the Super Rugby title in 2016.

Best of luck to the retiring R Graham, thanks for stepping down during the trials and joining the cheerleading squad.

Liam Gill was fantastic as Wallabies captain following on from being captain/coach of the winning Reds in 2016.

Hopefully the recruitment of Link as coach for this coming season will get us to the magic 50,000 ticketed members at our fortress where we are undefeated in over a season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
WHY??????? He's done fuck all for the past 3 years why would 2017 be any different

Besides by that time McIntyre will admirally fill the hole.

If you're asking I doubt there is a likely meeting of minds. You don't think injury might have had an impact over the last two years? And you completely right him off in 2012?

For me, QC (Quade Cooper) is one of those once in a lifetime players in terms of simple interest in a game, but also impact. He has plenty of time left.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
WHY??????? He's done fuck all for the past 3 years why would 2017 be any different

Besides by that time McIntyre will admirally fill the hole.
Ahoy skipper your foresight is amazing. Now pull those thingys that make those big white sheets go up. And scrubber the decks 2050 times.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If you're asking I doubt there is a likely meeting of minds. You don't think injury might have had an impact over the last two years? And you completely right him off in 2012?

For me, QC (Quade Cooper) is one of those once in a lifetime players in terms of simple interest in a game, but also impact. He has plenty of time left.

I fully agree he's had moments of brilliance from time to time but surely no-one can say that he's been great (when he's come back from injury)

Obviously the Reds are not interested enough to share your view and pony up the bucks (and probably totalling some $800K - $1M with top-up included) for a promise that may never be realised. He's just not worth the money/ Would rather see it spent on promising young guys

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ahoy skipper your foresight is amazing. Now pull those thingys that make those big white sheets go up. And scrubber the decks 2050 times.

no problem Sully - I am always happy to have a crack at new talent.

However I also find it quite amazing that posters can and do, in retrospect make excuses for players (not when injured or recovering) for poor performances over a long period of time.

Anyway the 12 months should give me plenty of time to scrub the poop deck 2050 times. The ship should berth at the Kangaroo Point cliffs (the naval base of the Queensland Navy prior to Federation) in about February 2017 and be ready for action.:)

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
I won't be excited about 2017 until RG is gone.

It was IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to think he was an appropriate hire. He got hired.

IMPOSSIBLE to survive 2014 and he did.

IMPOSSIBLE to be re-appointed and actually offered a new contract where he received income for the work he did. Yet no alternative was even considered.

Unless McCall, Carmichael, White and Co are gone, it is almost even money betting the RG will be here in 2017.

Remember Stiles got a 2 year extension. He would almost have certainly been replaced by another head coach, or at the very least limited the options of coaches who may have come in. So every chance RG will get yet another year.

Not to mention we have Cords and Herbert, both former players who assumed top level HP roles before they had any experience and so far have lost Hanson, Genia, Horwill, Cooper, Thompson, SLipper and others from the worst QLD team ever and replaced them with Ready, Tuttle, Neville, Greene, Korcyzk and Talakai. So the list management has been a success.​

dru

Tim Horan (67)
However I also find it quite amazing that posters can and do, in retrospect make excuses for players (not when injured or recovering) for poor performances over a long period of time.

Scrub, I'm making one single attempt at this. Against your base, captured above, what did I transgress?

Let's make it specific buddy. If you want to say you had the shits with the world and placed it on me, be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.