• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Tongue firmly planted in cheek, with a kernel of underlying truth. As a resident South Australian (all eastern staters are idiots who don't understand that SA is the greatest place on earth) I am now permitted to make sweeping generalisations like this.

Turn it up, you guys elected Bernardi ;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think the attack coach needs to tell Quade etc how to play nor do I think they will. Hopefully we'll revert back to what Link did, give Quade, the backs and the team the general structure on what will beat the opposition on the weekend and play it as you see.

Deans used to preach about how he wanted the guys to play what's in front of them, but either he didn't know how to teach players who've never played that game plan before or there's a huge difference in the English language between Australians and Kiwis. However, we saw Link was able to effectively teach the youngsters this and it worked which is why I think with Quade back they'll revert back to generalities rather than a specific plan of; 3 hit ups right side then quick ball to the left!

IMO Link was a very good strategist of the game. He would study the opposition and formulate a game plan to often counter the strengths and explore weaknesses in the opposition.

He probably had the players to implement the plan. I think he also let players (best example is Quade and Genia) play what was in front of them.

His philosophy seemed to be that because players were good enough to get to this level let them play. No doubt coaching of shills defence blah blah.

I think Stiles and his assistants will be more in that type of mould. Extensive consultation with senior players and an all-round feeling of inclusiveness . It has the promise of a very good environment.

As long as we beat the Waratahs it will be a successful year.:)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You've gotta think Malcolm Roberts'd easily trump Nick Xenophon for loopiness. Queensland win this one hands down.

Shall I bring up the cricket result yesterday? :rolleyes:

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
...so all have all coach and player positions been filled?? If so we have a long wait until Feb with not much to speculate over. I wonder how many of Quade, Moore and the other big names will play in the 10s tournament. Has all the ingredients for a ripper day: rugger, sun and fizz.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think you'll see plenty of our big names playing at the 10's. It's our home ground and the $$$ on offer would be too big a carrot not to go all in for.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think you'll see plenty of our big names playing at the 10's. It's our home ground and the $$$ on offer would be too big a carrot not to go all in for.
Does the ARU have any input into the running of it?? Or only as a 3rd party due to the super rugby sides being contracted with them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does the ARU have any input into the running of it?? Or only as a 3rd party due to the super rugby sides being contracted with them.

ARU don't have much input. Big money to the winner so it will be one of those CEO v Coach situations I reckon. Each Aussie team for sure could do with the prize money boost but coaches will be keen to manage players in the lead up to the season kick off just weeks later.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I cant decide whether playing dads army at the 10s would be a good or bad thing. Surely Higgers, Houston, and douglas and to a lesser extent Quade and Smith could all use a hit out so we can gauge where they are at. But at the same time, because of some of their ages we need to be managing their workload more. Gonna be a great tournament though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I have no idea what you need in a 10s team, but perhaps something like this (acknowledging we are meant to pick our 5 (?) best/biggest paid players)

10 Eto Nabuli
9 Izaia Perese
8 Samu Kerevi
7 Quade Cooper
6 Nick Frisby
5 Adam Korczyk
4 Cadeyrn Neville
3 Taniela Tupou
2 Andrew Ready
1 Sef Fa'agase

11 Alex Mafi
12 Pettowa Paraka
13 James Slipper
14 Lukhan Tui
15 Caleb Timu
16 Moses Sorovi
17 Duncan Paia'aua
18 Lachlan Maranta

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I cant decide whether playing dads army at the 10s would be a good or bad thing. Surely Higgers, Houston, and douglas and to a lesser extent Quade and Smith could all use a hit out so we can gauge where they are at. But at the same time, because of some of their ages we need to be managing their workload more. Gonna be a great tournament though.

It's a bit of an unknown and I reckon the proof will be in the pudding. We win the thing and don't have any injuries then it was worth it 10 times over. We lose a couple of key units and don't come away with the cash and you can bet your last dollar that the keyboard warriors will be screaming Reds Administration incompetence for even contemplating entering a side in the tournament.

The reality will likely lay somewhere in between.

T

TOCC

I don't think Moore and Smith will play central roles to the tens, Smith will be coming off the Top league season and Moore being a Wallaby, already has a reduced pre-season.

I think the non-Wallabies will form the primary role within the squad supplemented with players like Quade, Frisby, Houston etc.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Pretty sure Brothers were using him out in the backs at least a little bit the season just gone. Say off set piece like a lineout, he'd be standing out in the midfield and come steaming onto a flat pass then wreaking havoc with their either breaking the line or getting well over the ad line.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pretty sure Brothers were using him out in the backs at least a little bit the season just gone. Say off set piece like a lineout, he'd be standing out in the midfield and come steaming onto a flat pass then wreaking havoc with their either breaking the line or getting well over the ad line.
And at wing for kick returns. Hilarity ensued.... except for the first defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.