• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Good points but still, I don't think this is a great look for a team that has been such under performers this year.

fdb0d042e2d57407c4dd7a5de37c1d65.png

This is the point. I'm sure they will some community stuff while there and obviously not training 24/7 but they don't need to show all/play up the whole holiday aspect to fans.

This stuff is akin to the plain clothes fiasco in 2007, except at least that was after the season.

Perhaps they could operate like the ATO and the players pay up the proportion of costs for time not spent actively preparing. Take that money and reimburse the members as a token gesture.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems surprising to me that some of the staff and senior players don't talk through this sort of stuff with the team and suggest that maybe they don't post that sort of stuff when the team is so under the pump.

Even if it is posted after a whole bunch of hard work/community involvement posts which portray a positive attitude, it's always going to be viewed in isolation as we're doing now.

For all I know, there may be IG posts about them building an orphanage, completing the hardest training session of the season and solving climate change in the Pacific but I don't. All I've seen is the IG post of them lounging in the pool drinking out of a coconut.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Surely some of the reason these guys are over there is to promote Apia as a tourism destination/encourage others in the rugby community to visit.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Probably not the best look but fair chance they're just coconuts rather than cocktails. I went & ran a marathon in Samoa on this weekend 3 years ago & the recovery "electrolyte" drink was coconuts with straws in them. Actually works pretty well.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Probably not the best look but fair chance they're just coconuts rather than cocktails. I went & ran a marathon in Samoa on this weekend 3 years ago & the recovery "electrolyte" drink was coconuts with straws in them. Actually works pretty well.

Yeah, definitely just look like coconuts. The hole needs to be bigger if you're going to make a cocktail in there.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

the juice can also be used fro emergency blood transfers, it makes you sick but can save lives. This was used in Pacific conflicts during the war.

T

TOCC

It's not all just pools and coconut water

Attachments

• IMG_5928.JPG
    IMG_5928.JPG
    797.4 KB · Views: 253

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
We could do a lot worse than signing a band of brothers on a "family deal"
Ben is a better 10 option than Quade (IMO)
Matt is a better half than either of our current 2 blokes
Tom and Isaac have plenty of promise
All brothers would bleed RED

That is an interesting one. Ben was two years behind me at school and I was a big fan of his efforts for the Reds. Matt has copped a pretty rough deal at the Tahs but as you say, would be a better option at the Reds. I didn't know it at the time but Isaac played Prems against my team on the week-end. Don't get along as often these days. Did anyone watch? I've only seen Tom playing sevens, but he was captaining the team. Not a bad idea Scrub

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I assume that's for Sunnybank? Did he come on for Jake Strachan? He is someone I'm very keen to see develop. Good playmaker and big boot.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree they have been playing terrible... But what are supposed to do in the downtime for 6 days??? Watch constant replays of them being shit, or should they do a bootcamp in between skills sessions?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree they have been playing terrible. But what are supposed to do in the downtime for 6 days??? Watch constant replays of them being shit, or should they do a bootcamp in between skills sessions?

Clearly, they should be forced to subsist on nothing but bread and water, and walk on their knees until their penance is served.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree they have been playing terrible. But what are supposed to do in the downtime for 6 days??? Watch constant replays of them being shit, or should they do a bootcamp in between skills sessions?

do what they like. Just don't post pics of them living the resort life on their social media feed.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
do what they like. Just don't post pics of them living the resort life on their social media feed.
I imagine the Samoan tourism bosses are happy for Quade to throw up a selfie to his 10k followers. The season is done and more so, we all whinge about PI nations being raped and pillaged for talent, resources. Sanzaar organises games there for which everyone congratulates for being charitable but now we can't promote the island???

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I imagine the Samoan tourism bosses are happy for Quade to throw up a selfie to his 10k followers. The season is done and more so, we all whinge about PI nations being raped and pillaged for talent, resources. Sanzaar organises games there for which everyone congratulates for being charitable but now we can't promote the island???

I am happy for them to play games there to support the development of the game (which the Reds are obviously doing, local clinics etc). It was never a tourism promotion for mine. It is still a Super Rugby game is it not?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am happy for them to play games there to support the development of the game (which the Reds are obviously doing, local clinics etc). It was never a tourism promotion for mine. It is still a Super Rugby game is it not?
Did you watch their last game?? Might be churchie 13 D's possibles v probables

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Samoan government tipped in some cash, though they don't seem to be saying how much.

This is from a Stuff.co.nz article:

Redman said the Blues were uncertain if a match in Apia "could be organised so quickly given the draw was only announced four months ago".
But support from the Samoan government, Samoan Tourism, the Samoan Rugby Union and commercial partners had made it possible.

So I'm assuming that the travel/accomodation costs were probably covered by the government, and the social media posts are probably payment in kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.