• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What could you realistically offer Simmons though?

He's going to need a big Super Rugby contract to keep him there given he's also dropping off from getting ARU top up money.

You're going to be looking to re-sign Tui, Rodda and Douglas in a year's time. If Tui continues to progress he could be a capped Wallaby in massive demand.

I don't think the Reds could reasonably offer Simmons more than a one year contract without jeopardising their chances of securing their other locks in a year. They'd most likely be paying well above the odds of what they should spend on a lock who is on the bench or outside the 23 if things play out the way they envisage.

Clearly you need 4 locks but you can't pay the fourth one $200k.

The alternative is paying $60k to Harry Hocking.

The ARU have offered Simmons a contract, now it's just for a franchise to stump up the remainder to get whatever the ARU has determined he is worth.

When does Nevilles contract end?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
In the qrus eyes... Not soon enough. Contracting someone to play club rugby isn't a brains trust idea

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In the qrus eyes. Not soon enough. Contracting someone to play club rugby isn't a brains trust idea

Another player with real promise who ends up flattened after a Reds experience. I've got no idea on the background to this but it does not seem unusual in Brisbane.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Another player with real promise who ends up flattened after a Reds experience. I've got no idea on the background to this but it does not seem unusual in Brisbane.
Couldn't agree more... IMHO you have to point the finger at the coaches if several individuals are playing below the potential. More so if they aim up come rep season

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I daresay no-one would notice the difference.:(

Hocking is deadset a young Rob Simmons.

harry-hockings.ashx

c348aa3b5730877255d1f33304cf4810.jpg

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
he has a fair bit more development to go physically then tui or even rodda did. Rodda put on some meat but hockings is super thin. His big bro tom hockings played for the force and in japan so hopefully hocko can catch up in the next couple years.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Rodda had a great first game. Since then he has been pretty dam average. Douglas has been woeful.

Reds were poor in announcing Simmo by presser instead of quietly advising him privately and letting him pursue alternatives before knowledge out there in mugland.

ARU want him. I reckon he wants to stay in Australia.

Have already heard the fucking Tahs are quite interested and with Mumm and Skelton going there will probably be room for him. It would serve the Reds right if the man gets back to his best in that Tahs jumper.

Thanks for your service Rob

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Rodda had a great first game. Since then he has been pretty dam average. Douglas has been woeful.

Reds were poor in announcing Simmo by presser instead of quietly advising him privately and letting him pursue alternatives before knowledge out there in mugland.

ARU want him. I reckon he wants to stay in Australia.

Have already heard the fucking Tahs are quite interested and with Mumm and Skelton going there will probably be room for him. It would serve the Reds right if the man gets back to his best in that Tahs jumper.

Thanks for your service Rob

I agree re the bolded. Why to why set it up as 'we've chopped RS' vs what you rightly suggest as the proper course that should have occurred.

The guy has given great service to the Reds, period. If cut, he deserves to depart with maximum sensitivity from the QRU and dignity in the doing.

And Stiles et al talk about building a 'great culture' at the 2017 Reds. This type of treatment of a fine soldier of our recent history is not in any sense the way to build that.

In any organisation, how you treat people who depart - especially if you've sacked them - after much good contribution is a mark of who you are and what you stand for as a culture.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Did I miss something that suggests this didn't occur? I would have thought a chat was had with Simmo prior to the announcement.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did I miss something that suggests this didn't occur? I would have thought a chat was had with Simmo prior to the announcement.

no doubt this was discussed with Rob before.

I think Scrubber is suggesting we shouldn't have announced it until Rob had something else lined up.

I'm not so sure. They are staying ahead of the news. The second Rob calls the Waratahs or Toulon or whoever and asks if he can play there next year, it hits the press.

QRU are just staying ahead of the news here I reckon.

Plus, Simmons may come out in the coming days with an announcement to his future. The ARU have only just lifted the contracting 'embargo'. Who knows?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I appreciate he has not been playing the house down but neither has Douglas or Rodda.

I wonder if Stiles, Cordingly & Co do the same to others they deem to have underperformed this year or in the year of renewal.

Comes to mind Moore, Frisby, Douglas, Rodda, Cooper, Kerevi, Kurindrani , McIntyre and maybe some others as well including some coaches. Actually probably chuck in the team less Higgers, Smith and Hunt

Really feel for the bloke and hope that he is not lost to Aussie rugby, EVEN if he ends up at the Tahs

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think every player uncontracted, and the coaches, will come under scrutiny.

So players like Talakai, Neville, Timu, McIntyre, Magnay, CFS and Kuridrani should be nervous.

Arnold and Gilmore should both be gone you'd think.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
no doubt this was discussed with Rob before.

I think Scrubber is suggesting we shouldn't have announced it until Rob had something else lined up.

I'm not so sure. They are staying ahead of the news. The second Rob calls the Waratahs or Toulon or whoever and asks if he can play there next year, it hits the press.

QRU are just staying ahead of the news here I reckon.

Plus, Simmons may come out in the coming days with an announcement to his future. The ARU have only just lifted the contracting 'embargo'. Who knows?

It does hit the press, but it hits the press as "Rob is looking" not "Rob is booted out". The narrative of why he's leaving doesn't matter to the Reds' agenda/

They're not letting him go because he's an awful player, or because he failed to meet team standards. It's because it doesn't make sense for their development.

Therefore, if controlling the message isn't important, why not let the guy tell his own story?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think every player uncontracted, and the coaches, will come under scrutiny.

So players like Talakai, Neville, Timu, McIntyre, Magnay, CFS and Kuridrani should be nervous.

Arnold and Gilmore should both be gone you'd think.

Sign Talakai quickly. Take time with the rest.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reg,
In response to your post and in order
Paragraph 1 - no
Paragraph 2 Yes
Paragraph 3 No
Paragraph 4 as in 3 above
Paragraph 5 He's going to now that the Reds threw him under the bus. Am sure his manager is NOW working the phones.

It is my understanding that Simmons WANTED to re-sign with the Reds. The ARU wanted him, but the Reds pulled the pin on him

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What makes you think that Simmons still has an ARU contract for 2018?

It appears as though both his Reds and ARU contracts ran until the end of 2017.

http://www.aru.com.au/news/newsarti...erm-contract-extensions-with-australian-rugby

wayne smith - the australian

Simmons, 28, still is being offered a top-up by the ARU, and could conceivably be snapped up by one of Australia’s other Super Rugby clubs. But he surely will be in contact with his old state and Test second-row partner James Horwill, now playing impressively for Harlequins, and checking out the possibilities in Britain

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting.

You'd wonder how quickly that landscape will change given Cheika has left him out of the June squad and he's no longer wanted by the Reds.

Status
Not open for further replies.