• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
DP isn't a 15 at this point in time IMO.

Hunt is a super rugby level 15, so we need to keep him there.

I would obviously prefer to see Hunt continue at 12 for the sake of the wobblies, the reds have just an odd line up that can't accommodate that.

Shifting DP back to 15 now will fuck him up for another two years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's two games left. I don't think it's going to help or hinder Hunt's chances of playing at 12 for the Wallabies in the Rugby Championship if he does or doesn't play there in the last two Super Rugby games.

I certainly think he has to be the favourite to play there in the first Bledisloe. He has definitely been one of our better backs in the June series.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hunt has that starch in his game that I think complements having him in combination with Cooper. Anthony Fainga'a but with better distribution skills.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't think it's going to help or hinder Hunt's chances of playing at 12 for the Wallabies in the Rugby Championship

A bit of devils advocate here. Using what Ben Darwin mentioned on the podcast about combinations being critical, does having K Hunt play 12 at both the Reds and Wallabies, add more fuel to the fire that Cooper should be at 10.

Reason being, you'd have a possible situation of:
9. Genia
10. Cooper
12. Hunt
13. Kerevi

I don't think we'll see Cooper oust Foley, moreso it just adds to the debate this forum and all punters seem all too willing to have ;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There's two games left. I don't think it's going to help or hinder Hunt's chances of playing at 12 for the Wallabies in the Rugby Championship if he does or doesn't play there in the last two Super Rugby games.

It could help Quade's chances...

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
DP is one of my favourite Reds. He's been solid at 12. But Hunt is showing himself to be international quality at 12.

I don't see this as a tough decision. Think about moving DP to 22 and start giving him reasonable time at 10. I'd call it future proofing.

And if Stiles agrees with Cheika about fitness this next period must have a change in focus. If he doesn't that's a whole new conversation and I wish someone started it. Otherwise do something about it.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
7 news had some piece on crowd expectations. They said the expect a crowd of 20k for the Reds v Brums.

http://imgur.com/qCbR9GF

tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

mj-laughing.gif

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd love it if the Reds picked up a high quality 15 and could move Hunt to 12 full time with DP covering 10 and 12 from the bench. Before anyone criticizes that as a waste, I would point out that
a) DP is barely turned 22
b) Good Super Rugby teams have blokes who could easily start riding the pine and pushing for opportunities. Pushes everybody to be better. Would also take the pressure off a 20 yr old Hamish Stewart which is something that most pundits generally want.

Reactions: dru

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Interesting thought Hammertime. You could partner this thinking with the emerging NZ strategy for bringing on a stronger bench (eg 4 or 5 All Blacks) than your starters, in order to finish a game so strongly that the opposition can't match it.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rewarding DP by dropping him to the bench is a bit tough, I reckon.

He needs solid game time to develop, and he is developing nicely just fine at 12.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Rewarding DP by dropping him to the bench is a bit tough, I reckon.

He needs solid game time to develop, and he is developing nicely just fine at 12.

At the expense of a now international quality 12 in Hunt? DP has some way to go to match that I think.

And yes, DP is developing very nicely.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Go Quade maybe join Tomic with tennis or boxing. You guys who thing that the sun shines out of his a$$ are just plan sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.