• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Well it certainly is a right of passage for a Queenslander in his 20s to take the big bucks in the West before eventually snapping after paying the best part of $20 for a coffee and toasted sandwich then returning.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
^^^^ of course they will be, every worldwide search up there,finds the best candidate in the carpark :)

No no no ILTW.
Did you not hear about the probe that was sent to the moon to take photos of the earth recently? This was the photo of the earth that came back:
ballymore car park.png

dru

Tim Horan (67)
When we talk of progression paths for coaches, what is this like for Premier Rugby in Qld? Maybe local assistants is a good thing?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If that happened, every reds fan here would riot.

Well except maybe Scrubber ;)

Cheap low shot Torp

If you cannot see any valid criticisms of Quade, particularly in his performances over the past years at all levels, whether at the Reds, Toulon or the Sevens program you are an extremely poor judge of rugby players.

Even with that I have advocated his return, unless a more suitable candidate emerges.

It really was just a silly, uniformed comment.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
When we talk of progression paths for coaches, what is this like for Premier Rugby in Qld? Maybe local assistants is a good thing?
It's not picking on merit.

It's insular, and is unlikely to yield success.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cheap low shot Torp

If you cannot see any valid criticisms of Quade, particularly in his performances over the past years at all levels, whether at the Reds, Toulon or the Sevens program you are an extremely poor judge of rugby players.

Even with that I have advocated his return, unless a more suitable candidate emerges.

It really was just a silly, uniformed comment.

I agree - there are many criticisms of Quade - his tackling technique, while he can tackle, is not the best (it does tend to be a bit too high). When the team he is playing for is losing, he tries to do too much - this leads to more errors from him and subsequently it gets worse. His kicking is a bit meh (but TBF all Australian players are meh at kicking) and he can't play as a 12 in Cheikaball (it's pretty clear that Cheiks sees him as a 10). He also produces far too many "rocks and diamonds" games, i.e. does some good stuff, but also some bad stuff.

My original comment was meant to be taken in jest over some comments that you have made that seem to imply that you don't want Quade at the reds and that you would rather someone else to play fly half (and poke fun at these comments). You seem to have interpreted it differently (which is fair), and I seriously apologise if I offended you in any way Scrubber.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I agree - there are many criticisms of Quade - his tackling technique, while he can tackle, is not the best (it does tend to be a bit too high). When the team he is playing for is losing, he tries to do too much - this leads to more errors from him and subsequently it gets worse. His kicking is a bit meh (but TBF all Australian players are meh at kicking) and he can't play as a 12 in Cheikaball (it's pretty clear that Cheiks sees him as a 10). He also produces far too many "rocks and diamonds" games, i.e. does some good stuff, but also some bad stuff.

My original comment was meant to be taken in jest over some comments that you have made that seem to imply that you don't want Quade at the reds and that you would rather someone else to play fly half (and poke fun at these comments). You seem to have interpreted it differently (which is fair), and I seriously apologise if I offended you in any way Scrubber.

Torp
Thanks for that.

I have only ever been critical because of performance. It doesn't mean I don't like the bloke. I have known him for a while.

I look forward to him returning, mainly because we are so very deficient at 10 and seriously lack a leader in the backs.

I think he will be a very valuable "cog" in the wheel (if we can get his signature)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's not picking on merit.

It's insular, and is unlikely to yield success.

Why would selecting assistants from the local Premier comp be unmeritorious? We choose the local rugby development for players for the Reds. Presumably on merit. We cast a wider net too. Happy to a mix like that for the coaching too.

Yes I'd prefer a wider search, subject to cash constraints. but I dont see the involvement of Qld Premier Rugby coaching talent as necessarily a negative.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Because the QRU clearly are not casting a wider net, and therefore they are excluding better qualified staff.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Because the QRU clearly are not casting a wider net, and therefore they are excluding better qualified staff.

in the end though I think part of the HC interview process was around the support team - Blackadder was coming with Matson etc. Stiles obviously proposed his support crew and given his limited top level experience he's clearly gone with people he's worked with.

I guess in the end he (and then the QRU) have chosen options who they are confident are 'on the same page' as him and can deliver the outcomes he knows he will be judged on.

T

Train Without a Station

Really?

How successful has thrusting Assistant Coaches onto the Head Coaches been for the Wallabies gel?

Status
Not open for further replies.