• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I know its too late and doesnt really add to the conversation but i still think gilly would have been a great captaincy choice. for next year i would prefer slips to keep his captaincy with simmo and Quade being the VCs

Yeah agree with that.

I think it is really important for Quade to be in the formal leadership group. He has returned and IMO, a better allround footballer than when he left

He will run the team (direct play) on field as he always does. His knowledge and now maturity stands him in good stead for this role. He also would play the 80 whereas Slipper and Simmons probably 60 - 70 each.

I like the Smith signing not only for what he should bring to the field but for the mentoring and cultural role he will bring.
Houston - I'll just wait and see his on field exploits before further comment. But I am OK with his signing.

The Moore signing depends on when he signed. The bloke is right at the end of his career and if the Reds wanted him as a player he should have been signed for a 1 year contract only. In the meantime we've had a young bloke named Ready who played well all year, culminating at being a real prospect of making the Wallabies EOYT. If Moore was signed at the start of the season before Reday showed his stuff then fair enough (but still should have been a 1 year deal)

If the signing of Moore was because he's a Queenslander and to bring him back "home" in his twilight years (for a 3 year contract) then that would be a joke. I remember when he left the Reds and the circumstances at that time so loyalty should not have played a part. Does Ready need him as a mentor? - I don't think so. He has plenty of quality blokes like Thorn, Smith Slipper, Douglas, Houston Simmons and Stiles around him to give support.

It's good to feel optimistic about 2017.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
My mail is that Moore's 3 year contract is in fact a staged retirement plan, and has within it plans to transition into coaching over 2018-19 and in retirement. I have also heard that the plan is that Moore won't be travelling further than Auckland or Melbourne to play for the Reds in 2017 so Ready will be getting heaps of game time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not for a moment saying he'll make it form-wise but I think that Moore is 100% trying to make it to the 2019 RWC still playing for the Wallabies.

I still think he's got some excellent rugby left in him. His body is still in good shape.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Moore'll be good for 50/60mins a game and the odd fixture close by but I can't see him keeping up the gruelling schedule of international games until 2019. Have a close look at his recent matches: good in parts but not a whole performance. The staged retirement plan sounds believable.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't he only sign for the Reds because his Munster (or was it Ulster) deal fell through? Obviously he was signing overseas with the full knowledge he would still be able to play, but it does, sort of suggest that he's "winding down".

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Didn't he only sign for the Reds because his Munster (or was it Ulster) deal fell through? Obviously he was signing overseas with the full knowledge he would still be able to play, but it does, sort of suggest that he's "winding down".

I wonder if the Reds would sign him now for a 3 year deal, with the full knowledge of Ready's performances this year.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
It's good to feel optimistic about 2017.

Interested to hear thoughts on what a successful 2017 season is, and where fan expectations are?

In my view, 3rd in the Aussie conference will be acceptable, at a minimum the Reds must clean sweep the Force & Rebels and finish above the non-rugby states. 2nd in the conf. will be above expectations.

Overall, 7-8 wins will be considered a successful season and from an enjoyment perspective the strategy & attacking intent must be more positive, hopefully resulting in a PPG of around/at least 25 at home and 20 away.

In all seriousness, although everyone wants to aim for the top, its just so far away from reality at the moment comparing to what the NZ teams are doing.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Interested to hear thoughts on what a successful 2017 season is, and where fan expectations are?

In my view, 3rd in the Aussie conference will be acceptable, at a minimum the Reds must clean sweep the Force & Rebels and finish above the non-rugby states. 2nd in the conf. will be above expectations.

Overall, 7-8 wins will be considered a successful season and from an enjoyment perspective the strategy & attacking intent must be more positive, hopefully resulting in a PPG of around/at least 25 at home and 20 away.

In all seriousness, although everyone wants to aim for the top, its just so far away from reality at the moment comparing to what the NZ teams are doing.

To me and I always aim high winning the Aussie Conference and therefor the finals would be successful to me.

We have great forwards and Quade, Kerevi and some others out wide. Looks like a good team.

Early crowd of 20 building to 30K

As said I aim high:)

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Should be aiming for first in the conference.
Brumbies have lost a heap of experience, especially in the backs (Lilo, To'omua);
Waratahs have been in decline since winning the title in 2014 (they need to find a 'new' Potgeiter for their forward pack)
Rebels don't have the depth to last the distance;
The Force will be starting their next rebuilding phase.
With the addition of Moore, Smith and Cooper the Reds have decent depth and a very good 1st XXIII to give the conference title a decent crack.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We must win at home more often than not. Let's say at least 5 out of 7 games. Style must meet the expectations of the Reds fans. Needs intelligence and expressiveness, not just power thugby and a boot. We must knock over wins, but for me style comes before winning the conference.

Oh, and continue with the best set piece not just in Aus but in the ANZ group.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
In a perfect world I would love to see the Reds win with exciting expansive, running rugby.

After the last few years I am happy to win UGLY

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don't see why we shouldn't be optimistic for a very promising season next year.

To break it down by position -
Props - strong at set peice and able to contribute around the field. Tupou now has enough experience to be a regular in the 23 and showed enough last year to suggest he can bring impact to the field, even against the best opposition.

Hooker - an up and comer with plenty of promise and a veteran whose form was very good early on. If his game time is managed I don't see any reason Moore can't remain a force at super level

Locks - workmanlike, but 2 test locks, an experienced super rugby back up and two of the most promising up and comers in the wings. Workman like locks may prove to be a bonus, freeing up our back row.

Back row - Houston, Tui & Smith all provide ball running, good defence and interchange with the playmakers. The back ups all have potential. Back up 7 is probably my biggest concern.

Halves - Test reserve and Aust U 20s rep who already had super experience

10 - Cooper. Based on his current test form I personally have no concerns about his ability to be successful at super level again.

Kerevi - not sure if he'll continue at 13 or move to 12. Not overally worried - either option has its benefits and I expect him to thrive outside Cooper

Outside that, things do get murkier but between Paia'uau, Hunt, Nabuli, Perese & Magnay I believe there is plenty of talent. I am also hopeful that Cooper will be a real positive influence on CFS as he seemed to have that influence on others like Higgers & Davies who could be a bit enigmatic.

Our biggest threats are
injuries (although I am pretty happy with forward depth. An injury to Cooper would probably be devastating though)
- ability of Stiles as HC. I admit I have concerns given he has been part of the coaching team for the last few years, but I am hoping his movement from a forward coaching role to HC will also see him change focus from set peice dominance to a 'whole of game' approach which I believe is necessary to compete with the NZ sides (and which I feel will be much more popular with the supporters)
- new combinations - I have no doubt there will be some teething issues getting things to click, but there is a nucleus of players continuing on and Cooper was only missing for one year, so I am hopeful things will click quickly

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not for a moment saying he'll make it form-wise but I think that Moore is 100% trying to make it to the 2019 RWC still playing for the Wallabies.

I still think he's got some excellent rugby left in him. His body is still in good shape.

I was trying to think who may be in the team at the World Cup from the Reds.

I think the following players will be there-

Ready (Start), Frisby (Start), Cooper (Start), Kerevi (Start)
Slipper (Bench), Lukhan Tui (Bench), Perese (Bench)
Simmons (Squad), Tupou (Squad)

I would not have Moore playing in the World Cup, unless there is an injury crisis

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Looking at the player rosters, I think the Reds should finish first in the conference with the Tahs second and the Rebels and Brumbies fighting it out for third. There are not too many apparent weaknesses across the park - although an injury to Cooper would see McIntyre totally stuff up the backline. If Cooper stays fit and looking at the draw, the Reds should start looking for scapegoats if they don't make the semi's as the top Australian team. The Waratahs have lost too much experience, the Brumbies have no inside backs, the Rebels will be out of it by round seven and the Force were never in it.

Interesting to see just how vulnerable all the Australian conference teams are at 10. Waratahs have got Foley and ?Deegan, Brumbies have got Coleman and a couple of U-20's, Rebels have got Debreczeni and a halfback, the Force have got Lance and another halfback. Of all that lot only Cooper, Foley and Lance are Super quality and one bad injury leaves their teams in a barbed wire canoe (as the Force found this year).

Compared to NZ, where test standard players struggle to get a starting Super spot, we have no depth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting to see just how vulnerable all the Australian conference teams are at 10. Waratahs have got Foley and ?Deegan, .

Bryce Hegarty will probably be the backup 10 for the Tahs.

Deegan could surpass him there though if the upward trend he is showing in the NRC continues (Hegarty is also potentially better elsewhere).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Bryce Hegarty will probably be the backup 10 for the Tahs.

Deegan could surpass him there though if the upward trend he is showing in the NRC continues (Hegarty is also potentially better elsewhere).

My bad, I forgot him! Bet the Rebels wished they hadn't ditched him!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Looking at the player rosters, I think the Reds should finish first in the conference with the Tahs second and the Rebels and Brumbies fighting it out for third.

So the issue is suggesting that the Reds will mount a finals interest. At best I see us following the Brumbies into sitting ahead of only a single Kiwi team. Basically because of this:

Compared to NZ, where test standard players struggle to get a starting Super spot, we have no depth.

Coming 5th in the Group with or without first in the conference is probably about what we can expect. It isn't what I would call a "real" finals spot. BUT it would be fantastic improvement on the RG nadir. And if it comes with expressive rugby I am happy.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I was trying to think who may be in the team at the World Cup from the Reds.

I think the following players will be there-

Ready (Start), Frisby (Start), Cooper (Start), Kerevi (Start)
Slipper (Bench), Lukhan Tui (Bench), Perese (Bench)
Simmons (Squad), Tupou (Squad)

I would not have Moore playing in the World Cup, unless there is an injury crisis

i dont know why Slipper would be benched. the fact that hes being benched right now doesnt even make sense. i reckon if Tupou keeps developing he could easily be our Test Tighthead as soon as the spring tour next year. his running game is great, he puts some big hits on in defence and based on the limited time he played this year he has some skills at the breakdown, i think i remember a good pilfer from him? we havent seen much of him against top tier scrums yet but after an initial poor scrum in his debut he held his own each time afterwards. we definitely has some great youngsters in the side

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My bad, I forgot him! Bet the Rebels wished they hadn't ditched him!
Definitely. Think one or a combination of two things must have happened.

1) We must have been significantly more confident of extending Harris' contract in 2015
2) he didn't fit the McGahan Mould, the same way Veainu, Pyle, Neville and what now looks like Siliva too, didn't. For Backs in particular he seems to like them one or more of tall, bulky and having a strong kicking game, something which a quick, lean, average height fly half with a pop gun boot doesn't demonstrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.