• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I have concerns around the coaching department. Especially that no replacement has been announced for Mat O'Connor.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have concerns around the coaching department. Especially that no replacement has been announced for Mat O'Connor.

Weren't they looking for assistants from the local scene?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Me too - but I think I would be more concerned if O'Connor was still there. Maybe that'll prove to be unfair on him - but I really didn't see anything from the backs to suggest he was the guy to take us forward.

Still, at least he had high level experience I guess. It'll be interesting to see who does get appointed to the role.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Me too - but I think I would be more concerned if O'Connor was still there. Maybe that'll prove to be unfair on him - but I really didn't see anything from the backs to suggest he was the guy to take us forward.

Still, at least he had high level experience I guess. It'll be interesting to see who does get appointed to the role.

True, but as with anything in coaching you only have limited control of a variety of factors.

It's best to look at the entirety of someone's career and not one gig.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
True, but as with anything in coaching you only have limited control of a variety of factors.

It's best to look at the entirety of someone's career and not one gig.

fair enough but his gig at the Reds was for a couple of years (I think) and on balance his coaching of the backs was poor.

The poorest decision was his unwavering support of Jake McIntyre who was dismal. He should have given Green a shot. Good coaches need to make hard decisions. He wouldn't or couldn't so I glad his car park is vacant at Ballymore.

I too am very interested in Stiles's selection of assistants

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I was trying to think who may be in the team at the World Cup from the Reds.

I think the following players will be there-

Ready (Start), Frisby (Start), Cooper (Start), Kerevi (Start)
Slipper (Bench), Lukhan Tui (Bench), Perese (Bench)
Simmons (Squad), Tupou (Squad)

I would not have Moore playing in the World Cup, unless there is an injury crisis

I'd say in 2 years Tupou will be a starter for the Wallabies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
fair enough but his gig at the Reds was for a couple of years (I think) and on balance his coaching of the backs was poor.

The poorest decision was his unwavering support of Jake McIntyre who was dismal. He should have given Green a shot. Good coaches need to make hard decisions. He wouldn't or couldn't so I glad his car park is vacant at Ballymore.

I think Mac Mason will take over from McIntyre. He seems to have a lot more to his games to date, and I'd like to see QC (Quade Cooper) as his mentor.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Dunno about that but.

Fitness and injury will play a part as well as mind-set.

I just hope the lad gets mentored well at the Reds and keeps his feet firmly on the ground.

Having said that the lad has all the goods ATM

2017 should be a breakout year for him and I reckon he will be the regular starting THP by rounds 4 or 5

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I hope so too, I think he will be starting in some matches, I am dreaming that this will be a World Cup final team, Tupou will play in earlier rounds but will still be very young.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
2017 should be a breakout year for him and I reckon he will be the regular starting THP by rounds 4 or 5
Maybe - but I'd be equally happy if they continue to bring him on in stages and Talakai is used predominantly as the starter with Tupou used off the bench.

Talakai is a pretty good prospect in his own right and, while it may seem like Tupou had been around for a while now he is still a rookie THP with lots to learn.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

The secret is these selections are usually done by panel. I doubt the backs coach is given free reign to pick the back line, though he would've had more say when he was co-head coach.

I thought Greene was a really good prospect too (still is). Do you know where he is this year?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The secret is these selections are usually done by panel. I doubt the backs coach is given free reign to pick the back line, though he would've had more say when he was co-head coach.

I thought Greene was a really good prospect too (still is). Do you know where he is this year?

I only know where he isn't in 2017

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hopefully. But if they both improve at the same rate Tom's always going to be in front. From what I've see of the two (and I've been to every Tahs match in Sydney this year) Tom's much better at the set pieces while Tupou's a bit better in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.