• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We've had any number of the "next big thing" No 10s in recent years, Horwitz, Deegan, McIntyre and Mason, and none have yet kicked on to fill that spot at Super Rugby level. Stewart had some very uninspiring minutes for the Reds through this year, but I thought his performances at the U20s have improved with every game.

For the sake of Aus rugby generally, I hope that he does prove to be the goods in another year or two.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Stewart is a very good young player, played well at U20's level (and all the levels he's played at so far). Signing him as a rookie is the right move, and he should spend the next 12 months playing QPR and NRC before becoming a regular for QLD. That said, best laid plans are often a knee injury away from destruction.

A playmaking group of Cooper, DP, Stewart and ?Hunt (do we sign another 15?) looks pretty good

I have been pondering if DP will become 15 with Hunt moving to 12 for Super Rugby, maybe next year after a season of NRC to get used to the switch.

I think he would be suited, he has a boot when given the chance to use it and can easily step in as a play maker.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
^^^^^^
and I really liked Jake McIntyre as well. Thought he had all the attributes to be a fine 10.

Then he started his Super career and my earlier thoughts were blown out of the water.
I can honestly say I have never looked at McIntyre play and thought this guy should be in super rugby. I had a hope he might work out and that is all. He didn't.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We've had any number of the "next big thing" No 10s in recent years, Horwitz, Deegan, McIntyre and Mason, and none have yet kicked on to fill that spot at Super Rugby level. Stewart had some very uninspiring minutes for the Reds through this year, but I thought his performances at the U20s have improved with every game.

For the sake of Aus rugby generally, I hope that he does prove to be the goods in another year or two.

Were Horwitz and Deegan promoted down south as such - "the next big thing"? I never really saw them referred as such. McInytre certainly wasn't.

Mason has indeed but given he's in his first year back in rugby (and first year out of 20s) I am not prepared to write him off yet.

I also think its harsh to describe Stewart's Reds minutes as 'uninspiring'. You could barely describe them as minutes to be frank. He's played bugger all.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have been pondering if DP will become 15 with Hunt moving to 12 for Super Rugby, maybe next year after a season of NRC to get used to the switch.

I think he would be suited, he has a boot when given the chance to use it and can easily step in as a play maker.

Interesting. I was toying with
9. Sanchez
10. DP
12. Hunt
15. Quade, with a very roving role.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Please no. Paia'aua's best position is 12, he isn't a 10 or 15

Unless the Reds recruit another fullback Karmichael won't be movIng from 15

Yes I was thinking the same. But he's young enough and might be able to change. You'd have Hunt swapping 1st and 2nd fly, and Quade out back communicating the holes he sees to someone fast enough to use the info.

OK, its nutty thinking. And I DO like DP at 12.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Were Horwitz and Deegan promoted down south as such - "the next big thing"? I never really saw them referred as such. McInytre certainly wasn't.

Mason has indeed but given he's in his first year back in rugby (and first year out of 20s) I am not prepared to write him off yet.

I also think its harsh to describe Stewart's Reds minutes as 'uninspiring'. You could barely describe them as minutes to be frank. He's played bugger all.

Horwitz was being touted as the No 10 of the future when he was playing for Randwick a couple of years ago. At the time I thought Rohan Saifoloi outplayed him whenever they met.

Deegan and McIntyre, and indeed Mason, were all being claimed by many to be prospective Wallabies when they were in the U20s, as is Stewart by some again now. I think Stewart probably is the best prospect of the lot, but he does need to prove it at premier and NRC level.

Deegan had quite a good NRC last year and I would have him ahead of McIntyre on talent and Mason on experience right now. But I don't think he is ready for Super Rugby just yet, and maybe won't be.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Quade's already enough of a liability fielding high balls at 10, would rather never see him at 15.

Please don't give anybody at Reds HQ any ideas about moving Duncan away from 12 either, I think he's been pretty spectacular there.. actually looks like a successful development of a young player through the Club/NRC systems this year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Horwitz was never, ever a "boom" player. He was always seen as a pretty solid 10 who did not make mistakes.

He also got a fair bit of publicity because he is one of the very few, maybe the only, Jewish player running around in pro rugby in Australia.

Nobody, but nobody, ever suggested that he would be a star. At least I never saw anything to that effect.

T

TOCC

I think some people loosely like to claim that players "were touted as next big things" without any real grounds. I don't remember McIntyre ever been labelled a future star either. I think most people have been fairly pragmatic towards performances towards some of the young flyhalves, if anything the fans have been fairly forgiving for repeated average performances.

Flyhalves may get a lot of airtime on these forums, and that's probably because there is a serious crisis in 5/8 depths in Oz Rugby, there are 2 or 3 Wallaby inelegible 5/8s playing for Australian teams, losing To'omua, Lealifano and Beale in a 18month period has really impacted on depth and these young kids are getting Super Rugby game time earlier in their careers.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Speaking of depth, has Michael Gunn been playing QPR at all? With Smith producing the goods, Gunn really hasn't had a chance to be included in the matchday squad. Last year we saw some glimpses that Gunn may be able to fill Gilly's shoes but so far I don't think I've seen him on the field?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think some people loosely like to claim that players "were touted as next big things" without any real grounds. I don't remember McIntyre ever been labelled a future star either. I think most people have been fairly pragmatic towards performances towards some of the young flyhalves, if anything the fans have been fairly forgiving for repeated average performances.

Flyhalves may get a lot of airtime on these forums, and that's probably because there is a serious crisis in 5/8 depths in Oz Rugby, there are 2 or 3 Wallaby inelegible 5/8s playing for Australian teams, losing To'omua, Lealifano and Beale in a 18month period has really impacted on depth and these young kids are getting Super Rugby game time earlier in their careers.

How much of it is due to conservative coaching whitewashing natural creativity in the youngsters? I have no idea, for instance, whether Jake was touted as a star, but his performances often have the look of "playing to script".

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Speaking of depth, has Michael Gunn been playing QPR at all? With Smith producing the goods, Gunn really hasn't had a chance to be included in the matchday squad. Last year we saw some glimpses that Gunn may be able to fill Gilly's shoes but so far I don't think I've seen him on the field?

Yes he's been playing for Easts week in week out. I have to say when I watched him he didn't stand out. Having said that not many of the REDS contracted players have stood out on their return to club land. Is the gap between clubland and fringe reds players really that close?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
The REDS contracted players probably feel slighted to be put back to club land, and find it hard to get enthused to put on their best set of boots.
Opposite to when a player gets promoted to the Reds - he will be highly motivated.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Please no. Paia'aua's best position is 12, he isn't a 10 or 15

Unless the Reds recruit another fullback Karmichael won't be movIng from 15

Plus, if you like Hunt is his Wallaby 12 role (he goes pretty well there), he could probably play a similar role at 13 for the Reds with DP staying at 12.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Plus, if you like Hunt is his Wallaby 12 role (he goes pretty well there), he could probably play a similar role at 13 for the Reds with DP staying at 12.

Sup?

2c4abab4e2e6b7592c5d7672255612ce

Status
Not open for further replies.