• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
You asked a question though, FP. I would certainly support Quade moving within the Aus conference. And the HQ guys looking inside the empty purse strings at QRU and ARU would certainly be doing the same. There is a nonsense going on at the Rebels where fans are claiming an intent to harm other franchises by not allowing Jono a release even though apparently he is not wanted. That is BS of the highest kind and requires a Castle up their arse. Aus conference is dire this year. As an Aus rugby approach, sidelining Quade and Jonno, in one of our positions with the lightest depth, is nonsense.

Jonno hasn't been training because he has a broken hand. It's true there are murmurs that he might want a move back to QLD, especially that Hanson has left (they are very close), but there has been no indication that he will be shut out, thats just crazy talk and i don't know where you got that from. Personally i'd be happy for him to go as i'd lean towards resigning Jack Deb as he has a far greater upside but if Wessells see's him as his man, then he signed a contract and lives with the consequences. It'd be a different matter if they deliberately decided to not play him and stagnate his career, but there is no indication that is even close to the case. Hopefully there is still some wheeling and dealing to be done by seasons end, i want all teams to be better versions of themselves from last year. If that meant McCalman to Tahs, Jonno to Reds, Quade to another team in Australia and whoever else that wants to move that isn't directly needed at their current club and would have an immediate impact on another team then im completely behind it.

T

TOCC

Australian Rugby needs the best players playing, simple as that. It really doesn't matter which franchise they're at, if they aren't getting game time at one they should be released to, or transferred to another. Australian Rugby doesn't benefit by teams warehousing players, Australian Rugby benefits by its teams playing high quality and competitive rugby union. That should be the end objective, everything before that should be a means of achieving that objective.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Australian Rugby needs the best players playing, simple as that. It really doesn't matter which franchise they're at, if they aren't getting game time at one they should be released to, or transferred to another. Australian Rugby doesn't benefit by teams warehousing players, Australian Rugby benefits by its teams playing high quality and competitive rugby union. That should be the end objective, everything before that should be a means of achieving that objective.

IMO it is disingenuous to suggest that the coach wouldn't select the best players to play each week, the other players being in reserve until called to replace, usually due to injury - who knows when that would be, so it is not sensible to release players to another club if you then might need them - what a fool you would be. In the mean time, they get to play in their local comp club rugby, so they get a game somewhere

T

TOCC

He can play either.

Played LHP in NRC with Tupou at 3

Yeah Fa’agase has played both sides, I would still rate him a LHP first and THP second.

Prop depth is still concerning, they certainly have more depth at LHP, whilst I don’t rate Fa’agase or Smith highly as starting props, they are more then capable bench props.

Asiata is also a promising young prop for the future who was playing a bit at THP for East, so he may swap to there as well.

LHP
Slipper
Fa’agase
Smith
Asiata

THP
Tupou
Manu
Luka
Hoopert

Out of those, Luka and Hoopert need a year of conditioning and playing club rugby, I wouldn’t consider them for Super Rugby at this time.

T

TOCC

IMO it is disingenuous to suggest that the coach wouldn't select the best players to play each week

That's not what I suggested.. let me use an example: One team could have the top 3 hookers in Australia, they can only start one of them and bench another. The remaining 3 teams have the 4th, 5th, and 6th ranked hookers in the country. That doesn't mean a coach isn't selecting the best players each week, but it does mean that the best players in the country aren't playing each week.
In the mean time, they get to play in their local comp club rugby, so they get a game somewhere

I disagree thats the case, for example Melbourne, club rugby doesn't start until 10 rounds into the Super Rugby season

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
That's not what I suggested.. let me use an example: One team could have the top 3 hookers in Australia, they can only start one of them and bench another. The remaining 3 teams have the 4th, 5th, and 6th ranked hookers in the country. That doesn't mean a coach isn't selecting the best players each week, but it does mean that the best players in the country aren't playing each week.

I disagree thats the case, for example Melbourne, club rugby doesn't start until 10 rounds into the Super Rugby season

well said

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What a wonderful pre-season this has been for the Reds:

"#Wallabies legend George Smith arrested by Tokyo police for allegedly punching, refusing to pay taxi driver in late 2017. #rugbyjp #Suntory

More to come..."

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
So Smith's back is not rooted? I thought he was having an operation and was going to be unavailable this season.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

So Smith's back is not rooted? I thought he was having an operation and was going to be unavailable this season.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

His back injury was before this... and before all this happened he was still expected to miss a fair chunk of the season.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I love George Smith my favourite player ever.. But I meet him out one night with John Mitchell.. Both told me to get fucked don't need a photo at Moose Heads.. His a champion but I could also see him being a wanker

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
So a guy who has had a 15 year career who has never been in trouble off the field.
On the field, despite opposition players ripping out his dreadlocks, has never been given a card for rough behaviour. Yet out of the blue he is arrested for punching a taxi driver?
Something here stinks.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Status
Not open for further replies.