• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Not even a little bit surprised. Also now that he's inked that deal what's the bet he'll play like ass until the end of the season?

the contract was signed weeks ago, its come out now and he has confirmed it because the French have a habit of leaking details

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not even a little bit surprised. Also now that he's inked that deal what's the bet he'll play like ass until the end of the season?
Plenty of players go the other way, having signed a contract the pressure comes off and they find quite good form. The way Kane is playing this year looks alot like that, he's not worrying about wallaby selection or future deals and just going out there, enjoying his rugby and getting the job done.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Reds have a new sponsor, a company called Majella Group, QRU hasn't announced it but it's on the new gear which is out.

As there always is with the QRU theres a bit of a back story about Majella Group, CEO Seb Monsour is the brother in law of Cambell Newman and Seb was due to run for the seat of Ashgrove in the 2012, but was forced to resign after he lied about having played for the Queensland Reds. It would now appear his sister is now the head of marketing at the QRU.

Ahh... so a number of Majella’s companies have now being sued over debts owed, and the QRU are in ‘deep discussions’ with Majella over the financial commitments made. The sleeve sponsorship is worth around $1.5million, presumably a multi-year deal..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ahh. so a number of Majella’s companies have now being sued over debts owed, and the QRU are in ‘deep discussions’ with Majella over the financial commitments made. The sleeve sponsorship is worth around $1.5million, presumably a multi-year deal..

yeah and there was an article in the paper recently about some supposed dodgy land dealings in the US with Seb Monsour's credibility very much called to question.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As a general rule any small company who is forking out sponsorship money is in a bad fiscal state/run by snake oil salesman.

Reds and Titans past sponsor GRT same issue. there are other examples in the NRL which escape me.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quade says he's happy playing for Souths:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...ooper-determined-to-win-back-wallabies-jersey

Headline a little misleading IMO (yeah, I'm shocked too :)), I think he knows that ship has sailed (but of course he's not going to say so).

I saw this stuff as either Quade pushing for a payout and/or he can't get a contract near what he is currently on O/S.

He can't seriously be thinking his last few years of pro rugby should be running around in Brisbane club in front of 32 people each week

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Douglas, Lance, gone end of season.Slipper will be next. certainly wont be left with a lot of experience

I'd be surprised if Slipper leaves before the 2019 RWC.

Whilst he is eligible playing overseas because of the 60 cap rule, he should be one of the players on a Wallaby top up as integral to the team and would be paid pretty well here.

Douglas and Lance have the ability to earn a huge amount more overseas because they are only guaranteed their Super Rugby contract.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Douglas, Lance, gone end of season.Slipper will be next. certainly wont be left with a lot of experience

Slipper has been playing for the Reds since 2010. He's never played for any other clubs, I don't think he has even contemplated playing for any other club be it in Australia or overseas. Slipper is 28, still a baby in porp years; I almost expect another 8 years of service to Queensland! While I was very disappointed to see him not retained as captain, and am sure he was too, this is the only slight he would have against the Reds.
I don't expect him to be going anywhere!

Having said all of that, if he was to leave I don't think we'd be in too much trouble, Fa'agasi is a beast -- he could easily start on another Super Rugby team, I'm sure he'd be more than capable of stepping up to fill the hole.
I'd also point out we would still have the 900 year old George Smith and Higgers, the two Smith boys, Lucas and while he's young Samu has had a tone of experience. Also worst case if we need / want we have Karmichael Hunt and Quade Cooper who could be considered leaders and have a wealth of experience.

While these are the baby Reds, they are young not inexperienced.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
You have to hand it to Quade - he's handled a difficult situation with plenty of dignity. (Getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars helps of course)

Let's pretend of the sake of the discussion he finds that 2011 love for the game and gets back to that form (we'll also pretend it wasn't that ACL injury), if he shows he's working hard and performing on the field; if that happens part of me thinks Thorn would say 'we'll give you a run'.

I've always heard people talking about Thron as being hard but fair, maybe this is just his way of showing that love?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The only way I can see Cooper back in the Reds is if becomes the most dominant defender in Premier Rugby.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Slipper is one of the older guys they will want to keep on post WC. He's not that old and Robertson is just too far away from him and Sio IMO. Already will lose Kepu so I just doubt they will be willing to bleed both of those front rowers. Reds will be happy to pay half of whatever RA think he is worth.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
From facebook apparently a couple of days old. Meaning somewhat new but the news has been out there for a bit.

Its another example of things have changed since 2000, when it was League, Union, daylight, moonlight, a running track, soccer, AFL.

Anywho Logan council has built the Roar a 9 million dollar training facility. While its no Ballmore I am told it has a 2k stadium for their womens & NPL sides.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156333338907728&id=113534507727

I mention and post simply to highlight what others are doing and how we should be critical of Admin suits not only RA suits if they are failing to keep pace with rivals.

BTW its not huge the Roar thing its more the trend pathways seem to be away from rugby.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Logan building facilities for soccer is more a trend away from league then union. QRU's focus for government money should be on the ballymore redevelopment which is where it looks to be at the moment. If they can get that sorted and thinks start to look quite good from a back office perspective. Might be a big if though

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The Logan city council built a pretty impressive rugby facility only a couple of years ago at Meakin Park.

Are Logan still entering Brisbane Premier Rugby this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.