• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Slipper tested positive for cocaine twice.

Sat down for two months and fined 20-something thou.

No Wallabies duty for him. Thorn is going to rip him a new one. Might be playing Club Rugby when he's back.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Terrible news. I hope he's OK. I hope he doesn't get judged too harshly, that won't help his mental state. I've been in dark places and dealt with it badly. Luckily I never had to give a sample. If you've never been there, think before you post. He's been a great servant to the Reds and Wallabies. Let him heal in peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm sure Slipper will get through. The publicity is really the harshest measure. Cash is fleeting and a 2 months ban is almost nothing.

it goes to the culture of the organisation

Yeah. Although Reds apologists might not like it, I reckon it's a culture that Thorn is cleaning out.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Terrible news. I hope he's OK. I hope he doesn't get judged too harshly, that won't help his mental state. I've been in dark places and dealt with it badly. Luckily I never had to give a sample. If you've never been there, think before you post. He's been a great servant to the Reds and Wallabies. Let him heal in peace

I'd be concerned if any player there since 2010 wasn't on drugs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Illicit Drugs in professional sports is nothing new... I’ve always thought rugby union has been the benchmark of holding players accountable.

The other codes are a disgrace. Amazing how all that drug use down at the Titans/Suns was uncovered via a police probe (where’s the urine samples picking up the NRL/AFL players)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
You've obviously never had to deal with the Black Dog DP

Yeah man. Slipper has this morning stated he's been dealing with depression for some time.

Anyone who thinks a notable % of our 200 best rugby players haven't suffered from bouts of severe anxiety, mild or deep depression or elements of bi-polar disorder needs to experience a bit more of what life has to offer when people stop hiding their emotional realities and can talk openly about them.

And cocaine is these days the drug of choice to take the pain away and make life artificially better for a few hours or days. It's power lies in its effectiveness in this.

Partly there's a cocaine epidemic in our cities as there's a pent-up uncured and poorly understood anxiety epidemic in our cities and in the contemporary careers and home lives of many people.

Sympathy and understanding is the sole path to helping someone who becomes hooked on drugs via the pathway of depression or anxiety. Patronising condemnation only drives the problem underground, for an individual, a known group, or for a tract of our society.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah man. Slipper has this morning stated he's been dealing with depression for some time.

Anyone who thinks a notable % of our 200 best rugby players haven't suffered from bouts of severe anxiety, mild or deep depression or elements of bi-polar disorder needs to experience a bit more of what life has to offer when people stop hiding their emotional realities and can talk openly about them.

And cocaine is these days the drug of choice to take the pain away and make life artificially better for a few hours or days. It's power lies in its effectiveness in this.

Partly there's a cocaine epidemic in our cities as there's a pent-up uncured and poorly understood anxiety epidemic in our cities and in the contemporary careers and home lives of many people.

Sympathy and understanding is the sole path to helping someone who becomes hooked on drugs via the pathway of depression or anxiety. Patronising condemnation only drives the problem underground, for an individual, a known group, or for a tract of our society.
Very well said:)

Reactions: dru

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The problem with lines in the sand is there's a bloody great line in the sand when a loyal long term servant of the Reds gets caught in the same trap. If they treat him any different to Hunt they'll look like idiots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The problem with lines in the sand is there's a bloody great line in the sand when a loyal long term servant of the Reds gets caught in the same trap. If they treat him any different to Hunt they'll look like idiots.

Unless they want to start an argument that dealing is worse than using... Which this thread could very well delve into

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I don't think they should treat Hunt any differently. Hang in there Slipper.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
You've obviously never had to deal with the Black Dog DP

Most folks with the access to the resources Slipper has deal with it at the psychiatrist's office - not in Fortitude Valley.

Depression is a monster but there's still no excuse for repeatedly falling a drug test for cocaine multiple times in the same season. He's a grown adult who knew full well in FEBRUARY that this was not an effective or logically sound way of dealing with the problems he was having and also knew full well what the consequences would be the FIRST time he was caught.

I hope he now gets the help he needs but this was a particularly stupid way to handle things especially in light of the issues with Karmichael this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most folks with the access to the resources Slipper has deal with it at the psychiatrist's office - not in Fortitude Valley.

Depression is a monster but there's still no excuse for repeatedly falling a drug test for cocaine multiple times in the same season. He's a grown adult who knew full well in FEBRUARY that this was not an effective or logically sound way of dealing with the problems he was having and also knew full well what the consequences would be the FIRST time he was caught.

From his statement he has been seeking treatment.

As a professional sportsman he probably can't really deal with the issue using anti-depressants and continue performing.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
"
Slipper tested positive for cocaine twice.

Sat down for two months and fined 20-something thou.

No Wallabies duty for him. Thorn is going to rip him a new one. Might be playing Club Rugby when he's back.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...er-positive-cocaine-test-20180524-p4zh71.html

"Last week I was advised by our integrity unit that one of our Wallabies and Queensland Reds players, James Slipper, had returned a positive test for cocaine," Castle told reporters.
"Under Rugby Australia’s illicit drugs policy, the first instance of a positive test remains confidential between the player, the Rugby Australia integrity unit and medical staff.

So would the Reds have known or just RA?
For consistency he should be gone, or put back to club rugby and if the Reds knew about the first positive then he should have gone at that point in time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"

So would the Reds have known or just RA?
For consistency he should be gone, or put back to club rugby and if the Reds knew about the first positive then he should have gone at that point in time.

No. Only the integrity unit, the medical staff and the player are made aware of a first positive test for an illicit substance in an out of competition test.

Status
Not open for further replies.