• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Miller and the QRU are giving Thorn support. Strong and public support – and so they should. But this 10 year thing is a verbal target, nothing more.

They ain't gonna die in a ditch for Big Bad Brad to give him a decade as coach. It's up to Thorn next year to secure their confidence past one more year.

You've gotta know the difference between commitment and support.

See, Jeff Miller is the chicken in this scenario. To use the old farm breakfast analogy, he is not the hog supplying the bacon. That would be full commitment … (and be assured, when the time comes, bringing home the bacon will be Brad's job).

Chicken Jeff is just rolling out a couple of eggs for the grill. In total support. :)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^"Chicken" Geoff or "Beetroot" Geoff is head of the organisation.

As such he is ultimately responsible (along with his Board) for the Reds, its financial state and performance on and off the field (obviously along with Thorn and his cronies). I sort of understand a level of support for the coach however this coach is totally inexperienced at this level and his "man management" skills are deficient (not from me but several players). We nearly came last in the competition. Thank God for the Sunwolves !

Miller obviously is incapable of seeing the wider picture and has got into bed with Thorn (figuratively speaking of course) and thrown ALL his eggs at him. It is a stupid position for a responsible person to take.

I have even heard of a forthcoming legal stoush involving Thorn and the QRU and a player who wasn't selected to play this year thereby damaging his ongoing and future rugby contracts. That would be interesting.Bloke should focus on Thorn's assets because the QRU is broke.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
What senior players are left?

Take out Slipper, Douglas, Smith, Lucas, Lance, Nabuli, Hunt and Toua and all the age is gone - thats 8/9 most experienced players in the squad.
Take out Ready & Faagase and theres the.semi senior

Who is left that could possibly be considered 'senior' - Higs? To take up another lucrative contract and focus on his businesses instead of being at the Reds next year? Kerevi? still barely a semi senior and doubt he's going anywhere.
What is a senior player?

Games played at super level, age or a combination of both?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I would imagine the Thorn ten year thing is an inspirational goal.

For him to be there in ten years time is saying that the Reds will have long term success.

I am not a supporter of Thorn but I would imagine to last that long he would have to have a fair bit of success.

Linebreaker

Allen Oxlade (6)
If he (and I'm not saying him) wanted to go Higgers gets $1.2 million to play in Japan. Tough gig that.

Higgers will never play for the Wallabies under Cheika so that's not a consideration.

Culture at the Reds has blown up. Lots of players are not happy and others won't come here (unless there is no other choice).

Thorn is a polarising figure !

Yep it will be just a kiddy garden next season with a few minders and a power/control freak for a coach

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What is a senior player?

Games played at super level, age or a combination of both?

I think in age you'd have to be at least in the back 'half' of a career. Say...standard is 10 years, 22 - 32. So thinking late 20's inwards. Experience in regards to professional games under the belt ties in with that to a degree I suppose.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think in age you'd have to be at least in the back 'half' of a career. Say.standard is 10 years, 22 - 32. So thinking late 20's inwards. Experience in regards to professional games under the belt ties in with that to a degree I suppose.

Agree with that but also once you get to Wallaby level you seem to have some "seniority" at State level, irrespective of age.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2018 Award winners
Pilecki Medal – Samu Kerevi
Rookie of the Year – Jordan Petaia
Spirit of the Reds – James Tuttle

2018 Pilecki Medal Top 10
Samu Kerevi – 191
Taniela Tupou – 152
Jono Lance - 151
George Smith – 148
JP Smith – 142
Chris Feauai-Sautia – 125
James Slipper – 124
Izack Rodda - 115
Angus Scott-Young – 114
Caleb Timu - 113

Pilecki Medal History
2018 Samu Kerevi (191 votes)
2017 George Smith (278 votes)
2016 Liam Gill (282 votes)
2015 Liam Gill (420 votes)
2014 James Slipper (239 votes)
2013 Jake Schatz (269 votes)
2012 James Slipper (272 votes)
2011 Will Genia (263 votes)
2010 Will Genia (209 votes)
2009 Digby Ioane (253 votes)
2008 David Croft (195 votes)
2007 David Croft (188 votes)
2006 Rodney Blake (186 votes)
2005 Nathan Sharpe
2004 Chris Latham
2003 Julian Huxley
2002 Chris Latham
2001 Toutai Kefu
2000 Chris Latham
1999 Chris Latham
1998 Daniel Herbert
1997 John Eales
1996 Jason Little
1995 Jason Little
1994 Matthew Pini
1993 Rod McCall
1992 Peter Slattery

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Well done Samu.

Must be fewest votes for the winner/game since they started publishing. He did miss a few games but votes shared around this year

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Agree with that but also once you get to Wallaby level you seem to have some "seniority" at State level, irrespective of age.

See I disagree there because some people get capped at wallabies veryyyyyy early and some get capped ...seemingly just for the sake of it. I don't think Nabuli or Rod Davies suddenly jumped up the seniority levels based on their involvement, nor do I think JOC (James O'Connor) was suddenly granted seniority when he debuted at 18, or Quade and Beale at 20. They were young guns, not 'seniors'.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it’s just one of those things you can’t generalise with. Some guys take a lot longer to get comfortable with a role of leadership or seniority, be that a confidence or a maturity issue. Some have a natural leadership about them much earlier, are more emotionally mature and take on a ‘senior’ role more easily/quickly.

NB : Well done to all award winners

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The level of defence here of Thorn and the QRU is frankly baffling.

The current roster does not read as a cunning plan well developed and on track. We have $1,000s investment wasting on the sidelines while we gamble the future. The actual plan seems to be at a roulette wheel “put everything on red 6”.

After so many years of malaise though, it’s hard to raise much outrage. More of a “Reds, meh”.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

The current roster does not read as a cunning plan well developed and on track. We have $1,000s investment wasting on the sidelines while we gamble the future. The actual plan seems to be at a roulette wheel “put everything on red 6”.

After so many years of malaise though, it’s hard to raise much outrage. More of a “Reds, meh”.

Sadly, so true. The time for outrage is dead after about 237 outrage moments since 2012.

Now we would be just truly shocked if the current Reds roster was centred upon any semblance of a real plan. Shocked at a deviant moment in any otherwise highly predictable, intensely repetitive cycle of incompetence, stupidity and appalling business and rugby judgement always wrapped in the most laughable array of excuses and unearned self-forgiveness.

Reactions: dru

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

I love the roulette reference.

I do believe (someone can check my math) but if you add up the numbers on a roulette table (1+2+3+4+5 etc) it leads to a very interesting number - one which would give Thorn a heart attack.

Start adding guys:D

Status
Not open for further replies.