• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Genia comes with baggage. He's not that good anymore so his "ceiling" is dropping even if he is the best available for the WBs. Though I dont necessarily agree that he is better than Phipps, bar Phipps needing form.

Our current 9s have a better ceiling and are worth persisting with.

BTW G&GR, that advertising thing jumping over the top of visiting this place? Love the place, dont like that.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
My main concern is their floor.

In a competition with as steep a playoff structure as Super Rugby you need as much consistency between matches as possible, one of your halves having a mare in a single match could literally cost you the season under the current structure.

Genia has made some goof-ups before but I can't ever recall him putting in anything resembling the multiple absolutely disastrous performances we've had out of Frisby just over the last 2 years.

I also don't really see enough in Frisby to say he's got more potential than a guy who a few years ago was consensus Top 2 and even today when he's at 75% capacity is still comfortably Top 5 in the world at his position.

Dunno, I guess after all the Quade stuff I'm pretty sour to the idea of holding onto a talented guy who is prone to mental collapses during matches where any pressure is on.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If we recruit Genia, Tuttle does a ready and gets less game time, sorovi gets jack of it and leaves than in two years time we have no Genia and whoever the version of Tuttle and sorovi is....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd hope Tuttle/Sorovi wouldn't forget how to perform core duties of their position and then go on the piss against team directives after playing so poorly, no matter what happens.

The game time Ready "lost" this year was entirely his fault.

I'm fine with persisting with Tuttle/Sorovi or picking up Genia, really. I just don't see how Frisby is going to reverse the downward spiral he's been on for years without at least getting away from the current coaching group first.

Even if we signed Genia for 2 years I'm pretty certain that would put all their contracts on the same expiry date, or Tuttle/Sorovi would be up a year before Genia. You pick the best of the two and then cycle in the next new-young-thing to keep the machine running, or resign both if there are no young talents worth contracting at the time, in two years Sorovi will be 15 years old or something like that.

It's not like Sorovi is getting meaningful game time at the Reds with Frisby there either.

Everything wrong with Frisby seems to be between his ears, looks like a deer in the headlights and gen does something that makes you wonder how long he's been playing 9 for any Rugby Union side. Guys like this don't usually bounce back very well from these long declining spirals, at least without a change of scenery, and it worries me.

I don't think this current Reds environment is a great place for a player struggling for form and confidence, above all things.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'd hope Tuttle/Sorovi wouldn't forget how to perform core duties of their position and then go on the piss against team directives after playing so poorly, no matter what happens.

The game time Ready "lost" this year was entirely his fault.

I'm fine with persisting with Tuttle/Sorovi or picking up Genia, really. I just don't see how Frisby is going to reverse the downward spiral he's been on for years without at least getting away from the current coaching group first.

Even if we signed Genia for 2 years I'm pretty certain that would put all their contracts on the same expiry date, or Tuttle/Sorovi would be up a year before Genia. You pick the best of the two and then cycle in the next new-young-thing to keep the machine running, or resign both if there are no young talents worth contracting at the time, in two years Sorovi will be 15 years old or something like that.

It's not like Sorovi is getting meaningful game time at the Reds with Frisby there either.

Everything wrong with Frisby seems to be between his ears, looks like a deer in the headlights and gen does something that makes you wonder how long he's been playing 9 for any Rugby Union side. Guys like this don't usually bounce back very well from these long declining spirals, at least without a change of scenery, and it worries me.
You're right re sorovi, nothing changes for him. My concern is that Tuttle goes from run to 20 minute cameos then leaves. I think everyone is forgetting that these guys would hate being squad members/bench warmers. They've spent the whole career playing a whole game and now they spend the whole year training for 10 minutes of game. Some players don't get that and aren't released to play club. Would have me looking around.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think this current Reds environment is a great place for a player struggling for form and confidence, above all things.

This statement is very concerning. It also means that while Ready needs to own his story, in management terms there is much more going on. Reds culture and coaching is where this stuff must start. I'd also want to know more about Genia's head space before bringing him in. The reported scenario with Chook Fowler, if it's not something he has gained maturity over, would be a ticking time bomb in 2018 with our coaching and admin issues.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
This statement is very concerning. It also means that while Ready needs to own his story, in management terms there is much more going on. Reds culture and coaching is where this stuff must start. I'd also want to know more about Genia's head space before bringing him in. The reported scenario with Chook Fowler, if it's not something he has gained maturity over, would be a ticking time bomb in 2018 with our coaching and admin issues.

Wasn't the issue with Fowler not exactly of Genia's making?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wasn't the issue with Fowler not exactly of Genia's making?

Was it? Look we only get 4th and 5th hand reports so maybe you are right. The way I heard things it was a primadona sportsman having a tantrum that borders on assault and the issue hushed up because he was too big a personality.

No doubt these stories are done to death and any witness POV will depend on their relationships. Not good anyway.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
From my understanding Genia is goooooone.

Unless he tries to renege on the deal as ghe did at the Force some years ago.

Big difference now is that no-one else wants him (for all the reasons already mentioned). Therefore his value should decrease markedly. He has only come back to "retire", same as Moore.

At least it looks like the QRU won't get sucker punched AGAIN.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Was it? Look we only get 4th and 5th hand reports so maybe you are right. The way I heard things it was a primadona sportsman having a tantrum that borders on assault and the issue hushed up because he was too big a personality.

No doubt these stories are done to death and any witness POV will depend on their relationships. Not good anyway.

Edit: probably shouldn't post unsubstantiated gossip.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

noooooo. Not it at all. Way off.

Let's just say the Chook is from a different generation and may have said some things that people from a different generation could have got away with saying.

But totally inappropriate now.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hate to say it, but I'd rather then $200-300k extra that Genia would want over Frisby would be better saved and spent on attracting a more experienced assistant coach.

Will's knees only have so many more games in them before going bang. You'd get a more better return getting a defensive coach who can implement a real change to our system over a 2 year contract compared to what Genia would bring.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
noooooo. Not it at all. Way off.

Let's just say the Chook is from a different generation and may have said some things that people from a different generation could have got away with saying.

But totally inappropriate now.

OK Seems I owe Will an apology.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hate to say it, but I'd rather then $200-300k extra that Genia would want over Frisby would be better saved and spent on attracting a more experienced assistant coach.

Will's knees only have so many more games in them before going bang. You'd get a more better return getting a defensive coach who can implement a real change to our system over a 2 year contract compared to what Genia would bring.
Can't really trade off like that, the way the salary cap and cba work money spent on players isn't going anywhere but to players in most cases. If the money could be spent on 25-28 year old flyhalf of high enough quality then I'd be there with you.

If To'omua was off contract he'd probably be my first choice

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

It was always between the Reds and Rebels, Reds couldn't offload Frisby so looks like Rebels may come up trumps... if they remain in the comp.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^
Sure, he could play until probably 34.

Biggest trouble with him is his legs and some other things that have been mentioned many times on here (if he was to return to the Reds).

It appears the Reds are not prepared to sign him and personally I agree with that.

A gig to the Rebels may be very good for Genia and rejuvenate the balance of his playing career, hopefully another several years.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I would rather watch Tuttle develop. His service is excellent from the base of the ruck. Watch the premier rugby grand final in 2 weeks time and watch him play 10, probably does a better job than Quade!

Status
Not open for further replies.