• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It's a fine line between developing players and having an experienced squad.

Often comes down to money.

A mixture of the two groups is the key.

Every Australian super rugby team has several guys who have the talent to be excellent rugby players. Every team also has several "development" or inexperienced players.

To be a champion team you need a hell of a lot more experienced guys than inexperienced fellows.

Trouble has been for the Reds this year is that those experienced heads like Moore, Douglas, Simmons, Frisby, Quade and Kerevi (shit defence) have not performed to their pay level.

Some of the younger guys really stepped up

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tuttles real drawback (something that frisby did well a few times) is actually pose a threat as a runner himself. Delivery is one thing, but if the defence always knows tuttle is just going to pass, then they can put extra pressure on quade. Genia and Frisby give defence something else to think about.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^
Genia is, thankfully, gone so no option there at all whether you like the bloke or not.

Looks like frisby and Tuttle.

The greatest surprise to me this season was the non performance of the Pickle. He had the spot after being rewarded at the end of last year, There was no-one in front of him and he actually had the opportunity of becoming the Wallaby half. For some reason, only known to him he blew that opportunity.

The other bloke who didn't step up was Ready but I think his demise was totally due to his own fault (essentially after Moore was signed). He opened the door for Mafi who played pretty well.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Did anyone hear about Connolly and the Reds being in court? I had absolutely no idea until FoxSports recommended me a story this afternoon.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...g/news-story/7135195543226779ef4c7631c5b7d73b

FORMER Wallabies coach John Connolly says he signed an incorrect contract following discussions to become a consultant for the Queensland Reds because he trusted those involved.

Connolly is at the Brisbane District Court suing the Queensland Rugby Union for $159,000 after he was sacked in July 2015, six weeks into a $3000-a-week job.
According to Connolly, it was expected to last until the end of the 2016 Super Rugby season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wow, depending on the outcome of course, but the QRU are looking like handy replacements for the ARU if they implode after the Force arbitration case is decided.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Knuckles can't/won't travel os anymore.

Not a HC option (might add value in another role though)

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Wow, depending on the outcome of course, but the QRU are looking like handy replacements for the ARU if they implode after the Force arbitration case is decided.

Maybe John Connoly could use the same lawyer as Michael Jones, he received a hefty settlement.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe John Connoly could use the same lawyer as Michael Jones, he received a hefty settlement.

Asking a solicitor for his legal opinion on a contract is akin to asking him how much money can you give him.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Anyone get an email from the QRU today?

"On behalf of Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) I want to thank you for indicating you would be willing to participate in the below research we will be conducting to help improve our membership and ticketing program.

online survey
postal survey
phone survey
focus groups in Brisbane - depending on timing and availability

I apologise we have not been in touch sooner but I am rather new to the role (4 months to be exact) and as you can imagine the Premiership Club Rugby Finals and upcoming National Rugby (NRC) are looming, so all hands are on deck. Please do come along and join us at Ballymore to watch the Finals Series for our Premier Club Rugby (details at www.redsrugby.com.au), or join us in welcoming Fiji to the NRC on 2 September with their first match on Australian soil, up against our Brisbane City team.

Otherwise we will be in touch to organise next steps on gaining your valued feedback through the above research activations which we will be conducting during September. In the meantime though I just wanted to send a short message to say we have not forgotten that you kindly agree to participate, we just did not want to rush the process.

warmest regards,

Heidi"

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Well the Force got the guilitine.

Anybody ready to talk about which free agent players fit the Reds scheme?

Lance, Tessman, Cottrell all over in Perth. Am i missing any other Queenslanders?

Some might say it's disrespectful to talk about this while it so fresh but gotta strike while the iron is hot. I'm sure the 4 remaining franchises are circling their whiteboards ticking and striking names like vultures.

#RIPWESTERNFORCE

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
yep. Tonight not the night for it. should all be mourning for the Force.

But you'd be crazy to not think that coaches and general managers are having discussions right at this moment about which X-Force players they want to bring in.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

But you'd be crazy to not think that coaches and general managers are having discussions right at this moment about which X-Force players they want to bring in.

I knew there was a reason I don't like coaches and general managers.

T

TOCC

If the Reds had just been cut and fans from the Tahs or Rebels were picking over the pieces of my team I'd be a bit unimpressed, it's an emotive issue for some, and discussing which players to snap up just hours after could be considered a little tasteless..

Every team in Australia would have had multiple plans in places based on the outcome, and players would have had clauses in their contracts depending on what was too occurr. We will all find out in time, and I wouldn't discount the Force taking the ARU to court and earning their place back.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I am absolutely crushed for the Force and my first preference is that somehow they successfully challenge

But if some of their players need new homes the I'd be after RHP, DHP and Rona

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Not too early, it is too late.

If we had a professional set up we would have approached players at Rebels, Force, Kings and Cheetahs the day after the initial announcement.

As a fan this is hard as we fall in love with a sport and not a business but the reality is any good prospects will have taken care of themselves and probably already have plans in motion.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
We knew months ago that which ever team was getting cut was going to spread the wealth of the talent amongst the other 4 franchises.

One thing the Force have done great is picking no names out of obscurity and giving them the super rugby gig. Angus Cottrell & I believe also Richard Brown/Nick Cummins all got Force gigs with no previous experience at Qld representative level.

Is there any other Queensland boys over there apart from Tessman, Lance, Prior & Cottrell?

Status
Not open for further replies.