• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hunt at 12 outside Cooper please.

I got pilloried for this suggestion earlier. We shouldn't forget DP, but I'd put Hunt wherever is best for a shot at the WBs.

Right now I'm guessing that Cheika will not relocate Beale for Hunt. He may get a shot at one of the wings, probably right/outside/14. Noting that he'd be playing a more traditional 15 role at times.

So we can leave leave him at 15, then relocate him for the bench as it comes on to build his "utility" function.

T

TOCC

Personally I don't think Folau should be at fullback, I've done the reasons to death In other threads, but my preference would be either Beale, Hunt or DHP. I also think Meakes should be in consideration for 12.

All a bit of a sidetrack, but the relevance to the Reds is where do they play those players to suit national interests. Right now, I'm not too sure that Hunt to 12 is an automatic selection. Prior to July tests, Hunt and DHP were the inform Aussie fullbacks.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Personally I don't think Folau should be at fullback, I've done the reasons to death In other threads, but my preference would be either Beale, Hunt or DHP. I also think Meakes should be in consideration for 12.

All a bit of a sidetrack, but the relevance to the Reds is where do they play those players to suit national interests. Right now, I'm not too sure that Hunt to 12 is an automatic selection. Prior to July tests, Hunt and DHP were the inform Aussie fullbacks.

I completely agree - just I don't think Cheika is with us.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Assuming he's in form to warrant selection, I don't see why QC (Quade Cooper) would be shifted from 10. So, Hunt to 15 looks the go. Kerevi has problems at 13. Surely a better backline combination could be found.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
DP could very easily make the shift to fullback. he has a bloody good kicking game that would be very handy there. He has good distribution skills that would see him link well with the wingers and he has a good defensive game. Hunt brings good skills but also a superior presence in contact which is why I like him at 12. Ant Fainga'a had that abrasiveness in contact and his combination with Cooper was outstanding. The other issue the Reds need to solve is the communication in the Halves. We remember the extraordinary brilliant things Cooper has done in the past but people very quickly fail to understand just how methodical he is when at his best. Communication in the halves needs to be restored to the level Genia and Cooper had during the Reds best days. The brilliance the Reds generated was master crafted at the halves. Last year it looked like to much pressure was placed on Cooper through poor communication and that is when he starts looking for low percentage miracle plays. He gets a lot of shit for it but that communication is the root of it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not trying to tell the Reds how to suck eggs at all, but I do question why anyone would want to shift the country's best No 10 when in form out of the 10 position. I'm sure the Reds wouldn't want to do that.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Only problem I see with DP at 12 and KHunt at 15 is the backline being defensively sound with Kerevi at 13.

If you want a more defensive unit, Hunt goes to 12 and DP to 15. If you want more of an attack mindset, reverse them.

Honestly, I don't care whats best for the Wallabies. We've seen that the ARU can't rely on the Wallabies to be the draw cards, you need the clubs to be winning to bring the fans in. More importantly, if Cheika didn't force Bernie to swtich To'omua and LiLo around at the Brumbies, I can't see him doing it at the Reds.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
One other thing. Players in Reds jersey's play where is in the best interest of the Reds, not the Wallabies. It's not the role of the Reds to be a Genie Pig for the Wallabies.

I kind of agree, but it's not as simple as that. We'd like to see the guys take a shot at a Gold jersey, and we should be prepared to back them in. If it can't be accommodated fine, but right now we need to be watching what happens with Korczyk, Tui and Hunt.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I like Hunt at 12 and always have. I think it's his best position long term for the Reds and the Wallabies.

If we managed to score RHP and DHP my word I would be salivating at how our spine would look.

2. Moore
8. Higgers
9. Tuttle
10. Cooper
12. Hunt
15 DHP

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Hunt defended mostly in the front line anyway this year. He certainly did at times - they pushed DP in (dropped Quade back) and the defensive line was DP, Hunt & Kerevi.

Although I do also know at times he fielded kicks at the back, but it was certainly my impression he mainly defended in the front line.

I don't see having Beale & Hunt in the one team as a major quandary at WB level because Hunt can play 15 in attack & 12 in defence & Beale the opposite. But it relies on either Folau shifting out or one of the being picked on the wing.

But I personally don't see a big impact on Wallaby selection if the Reds continue to play Hunt at 15.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@TSR agree how Hunt has been positioned at the Reds.

But it would certainly help his cause at WBs if his club experience is relevant to Cheika's intentions. Sure with Cheika's love of out of position selections it's not the only thing, and generally it's the nature of the game experience that is important, not the number on his back.

The reason it's good for the Reds is that international exposure is building ability that might not occur at Soup.

Also think through Tui, on the basis that Cheika makes good on his #6 threat - Tuis experience in the line out remains relevant. Highly actually. Scrum experience is relevant but not as much. Muscle in the tight pod is of interest too. What he doesn't get is an ability to demonstrate speed, lateral movement in defence, and his probably going to be too muscle burned to demonstrate dominant tackle and tackle busting strengths.

But if he's play #6 internationally you'd to think through how we use it, and staying at lock isn't an holistic answer.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like Hunt at 12 and always have. I think it's his best position long term for the Reds and the Wallabies.

If we managed to score RHP and DHP my word I would be salivating at how our spine would look.

2. Moore
8. Higgers
9. Tuttle
10. Cooper
12. Hunt
15 DHP

We don't have money for any new recruits apparently. So we won't be going after force players.

Happy to cut the coach though and make another pay out...

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
@TSR agree how Hunt has been positioned at the Reds.

But it would certainly help his cause at WBs if his club experience is relevant to Cheika's intentions.

The Reds should just play him where it suits the Reds.

In terms of Cheika's team, all the positions Hunt might potentially play are taken by Beale, Folau, Foley and probably Kuridrani.

So unless there is an injury, the highest he can realistically attain is the bench.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We don't have money for any new recruits apparently. So we won't be going after force players.

Happy to cut the coach though and make another pay out.

aren't the wages of the ex-pat Force players covered by the ARU?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
aren't the wages of the ex-pat Force players covered by the ARU?

You'd think their wage would be covered if they do not get signed anywhere else, or for less anywhere else maybe, honouring the existing contract. If they sign a new contract of equal or better value, can't see why it would, or should, be.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You'd think their wage would be covered if they do not get signed anywhere else, or for less anywhere else maybe, honouring the existing contract. If they sign a new contract of equal or better value, can't see why it would, or should, be.

In which case it is a straight reduction of professional rugby in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.