• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Speaking of Gilly, for those that don't know, he was a star last weekend in Toulon's prelim semi win over Castres - even though he was yellow carded. He also was listed in the top 15 players in French rugby this season by french media.

They might not want to let him come back..

actually the rumours are he will be released to Lyon next year by Toulon.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
But that's Lyon saying "We'll have him!" but Mourad Boudjellal saying "He's under contract"

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gill is great and I although I understand the reason he went, he like Smith now was a point of difference in the Reds constant recruitment of the same shaped player in the backrow in recent times.

Whats the point of difference between each of them? Same shapes, similar players in terms of style. Quirk, Browning, Korczyk, Hewitt, Scott Young, Tui to name a few.
Backrows need to be recruited on balance. Reds in my opinion recruit on perceived best available at the time regardless of whether it fits the squad.

If i was Cordingley I would be searching for or retraining the next long term 6,7 and 8 as a priority. Must be of the quality to fight for a Wallaby jersey or really not worth the investment. Must be looking for balance within that backrow as a unit.

Scavenger, big ball runner/ hitter, genuine 3rd lineout option who can play in the wide channels.
Do they invest in retaining Korzcyk and Hewitt into 7's who in my opinion fall a long way short of being international quality 6's or 8's with their physical attributes?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just saying , Stiles needs another a few more years in the prep seat before the big boys set ;)
2FBB44A1-0075-4D66-8919-5C5C16F56355_zpsxrxzpex5.jpg

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
For my money Gill is the 2nd best in the world in his position. Just a tad undersized and had some "off field issues" at the wrong time in his career.
Plus unfairly tarnished by the "non-test match moments" label, despite other Australians in number 7 jerseys making worse mistakes while in gold jerseys.

That said I really doubt he will be back anytime soon. Too similarly aged to Hooper, who whether or not he is an openside, will wear the Wallaby 7 for sometime. As the kind of guy who can enjoy Europe, why not get paid money you deserve while living in the South of France as opposed to getting paid peanuts, getting disrespected at the Wallaby selection table and having to play for Graham/Stiles/whichever board member relative we hire next.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Gill again played well in this mornings penalty-a-thon semi-final between LaRochelle (favourites) and Toulon. However his performance was overshadowed by JOC (James O'Connor), sporting a new close cropped platinum-blonde haircut, who took one for the team and allowed himself to be pile-driven into the ground thus gaining a red card for LaRochelle. It was all penalties for Toulon from there to eventually give them the win 18-15.

Our favourite eurosport commentator backed up Reg's position while shaking his head in dismay as the rumours of Gill to Lyon intensified - noone seems to understand why Toulon would let go one of their best. Also rumoured was Leigh Halfpenny after being offered a down-graded contract by Toulon stated he would like to play Super Rugby. But perhaps with his mate, Morgan Turinui (sp?), at the Rebels.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I miss Gill, my avatar says it all. Tackle, offload,pilfers and finish with a clean drop goal. got it all, never saw the GOAT Macaw do that. ;):D
Cant see 2018 being any better..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok, so we're allowed to sign players. Let's take a look at what we have for next year:

Hooker:

Stephen Moore (2019)
Andrew Ready (2018)
Alex Mafi (2018)

Prop:

James Slipper (2018)
Taniela Tupou (2018)

Lock:

Kane Douglas (2018)
Izack Rodda (2018)
Lukhan Tui (2018)

Backrow:

Scott Higginbotham (2019)
Adam Korczyk (2018)
Michael Gunn (2018)
Leroy Houston (2018)

Scrumhalf:

Nick Frisby (2019)
James Tuttle (2018)

Flyhalf:

Quade Cooper (2019)

Centre:

Samu Kerevi (2018)

Wing:

Izaia Perese (2018)
Lachlan Maranta (2018)

Any I missed that people are aware of?

I don't think we have 'lost' any players yet?

I assume Hendrick Tui won't be able to re-signed again.
Rumours abound about Leroy Houston.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So running through the positions.

No more hookers needed.

I'd be happy to re-sign Talakai and Fa'agase with Vanzati and Sanday as support somehow.

I still back Simmons and like Neville, but we don't need to keep both. I'd like to keep at least one of them and then perhaps we focus on Harry Hockings.

Backrow. We need strong ball runners to replace Tui and perhaps Houston. Will be interesting to see how Timu goes this weekend. If the Force go under, I'd love Naisarani to come back.

We really need to invest in an openside though. A tough pick as to what type? Another development one (Liam Wright perhaps), a solid understudy (like a Brad Wilkin) or a legitimate starter (Sean McMahon etc). In fact, that's an easy option. McMahon every day.

No movement on scrumhalf with Sorovi back up I guess.

Hamish Stewart and Jake Strachan as the back ups for QC (Quade Cooper)?

In the centres we want Duncan P and Magnay to re-sign and I'd guess Teafu won't be an option anymore. Dare I say Lance or Meakes? I don't think we'd be their preferred option. I do think another 12 option would be handy.

Wings I wouldn't rush to re-sign CFS (I guess form this year dependent) nor Kuridrani. Yes to Nabuli but some more options would be handy. There is some talent in the 20s but I retain my fandom of Junior Laloifi as a finisher.

We need to unearth some fullback talent too, assuming we can hang on to Hunt. Tom Banks would've been handy. Aidan Toua and Jonah Placid both uncontracted I believe.

I don't want to speak too much of who from the Force or Rebels we'd want because I don't think it's appropriate yet. But we need to find some Super Rugby ready talent urgently.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I definitely see Tui's + G. Smith's replacements and the right wing (whether or not Perese is going to step up is in the air, he does as much good as bad but is still very young) as big priorities alongside with backups at 10/12.

Can't see us getting near Banks with him asserting himself at the Brumbies now and I don't really think signing Toua would be a great idea, maybe if we can get him cheap as the backup back 3 player but I doubt he would do that as opposed to getting paid in France or Japan.

JJT has looked "ok" from what I've seen of him in the much lower standards of the Japanese comp so I wouldn't really be too high on bringing him back either.

Junior could be a great answer as a relatively budget friendly bench player for the back 3 next year as he can cover 15 and wing well and open a game up in the last 15-20.

Pretty sure Gill has another year left on his Toulon contract, seems to be very valued over there, and just won the Top 14 championship with them so I cannot see his homecoming happening.

Does anyone have an inkling of what is happening behind the red tape with Houston?? I know he didn't show very good form at all in the trials but wasn't he excluded from the recently announced touring party entirely? That was a bit shocking.

Hunt seems to be keen to stay and I doubt he's unhappy with the money he's already getting, with more to come from the ARU unless Cheika has a brain aneurysm before test season and doesn't select the form Australian fullback.

Some space is going to have to be made for Duncan P who is surely going to be asking for more money, deservingly so. The idea of Magnay being the starting 13 next year if Kerevi picks up an injury makes me very nervous.

Reactions: gel

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
UJ seuteni, Monty Ioane and Taulagi wouldnt be bad bargain buys (if they are bargains). How I imagine JJT will be looking to stick around in Japan for WC potential.

I'd really like to see perhaps Tom and Isaac Lucas come to the Reds from the 7s. Isaac was schoolboy player of the year and a flyhalf, would be a handy u20 flyhalf for us just like H.Stewart as stewart progress to the senior squad next year.

Henry Taefu if capped by Samoa will need replacing, so another secure centre would be nice. We have a couple good 13 options in Kerevi, Magnay and Perese, however light on the 12. Lefau from the NRC hasn't been given a shot. Kind awkward to think it wouldn't be bad to have Fainga'a or Tapuai back just in case, but I would be looking to a 12 that would become available potentially - tuipolotu or meakes.

Wouldn't mind seeing a safe winger back in Red, again an ex Red like Shipperly, thought would rather see us pick up Pama Fou instead of Kuridrani. As Reg said also, Toua or Placid would be great backups, thought I think Toua is starting to cement himself in the Brumbies there Placid would be a more useful backup 15 then Maranta (even though he is staying here). Really just need a back 3 member that can kick! JOC (James O'Connor) anyone?

How about going all out and trying to get Joe Tomane and Mogg back to QLD. That would form a pretty balanced back 3 with Hunt.

I tend to be sticking to Queenslanders here, but that being said, one of our newest favourite sons L.Tui we pinched from NSW, so if Hodge or DHP get folded in their teams, I'm sure we could accommodate them with open arms as the ARU honour their contracts.

A winger with brains and someone with a cannon. Please.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tomane or Mogg are good shouts, although I have no idea as to their contract status over there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@ RugbyReg - fabulous contribution and could not agree more.

@USARugger - I suspect we need to start thinking of LFG the same way we need to be thinking about Link. It's sad but move on. Agree Hunt must be locked in, we've invested heaps and want our piece of this guy. Houston is a conundrum, impossible to comment on involvement next year without understanding the background.

@upthereds - Tomane and Mogg at the Reds - that would be something I'd like to see!! Though a gentle caution that we have not done as well as we should, historically, bringing in big names.

Guys, generally, we heard earlier from a poster suggesting there were issues in the squad that player leadership and coaching staff had not been able to address. No idea on the legitimacy of that claim, but who needs to go in order to resolve personalities?

Of course player lists mean nothing without appropriate Coaching staff. Surely there will be changes, if not the drastic action that some (possibly myself) might like. S&C as well.

Thoughts on any movement?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Kerevi as captain is almost publicity based. He can't talk to refs and he isnt integral in decisions making, tactics, or defensive organising. That will change anyway with slips returning, but I would like to see Higs move into the leadership group.

I would like to see one of the Force assistants come over, or even use Gaffney as a consultant like they do, because our assistants need some mentoring and stiles, like Cheika, when it comes to being Head Coach, is far more focused on attitude and the mental side as opposed to the tactics. We need a senior tactician.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I don't want to speak too much of who from the Force or Rebels we'd want because I don't think it's appropriate yet. But we need to find some Super Rugby ready talent urgently.

Hopefully someone at the Reds has been talking to them, strike while the iron is hot, or at least put the idea in their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.