• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Positives for our new HC, even in the darkest night there must be a few!

His Brisbane background. I have read where Thorn has said the Reds were an employment target because after all this time wearing black, Brisvegus was home.

SOO and pride in a marone jumper. Nothing burns home state pride in Qld than a genuine cane toad. The morale boosting, take no prisoners, we band together attitude of mind blowingly successful SOO cant be replicated anywhere else. And it is at least partially portable in attitude and intent.

NRL contacts. Think I’m stretching? Who else in Aus rugby has the ability to call Wayne Bennet - and expect the call to be picked up? If NRL yechniques and coaching can learn from NFL, lets see how Thorn manages this relationship.

The AB thing. For years. Respect, honour, pride in the jumper. Another set of issues that are at least partially transferable.

Brad is a forward. There are exceptions, but I’m firmly of the belief that the best coaches were pigs. Preferably a prop and preferably TH. But you cant have everything and a serious hard arse lock will do me.

It’s not as if Thorn hasn’t needed to upskill and big-time translate into a new environment before. Mungo to Rugby, as a jumping lock. That’s no easy transition. He’s willing to do it again transferring from player to coach. He says he can, who am I to argue.

He has now built some raport with the u20s and extended squad. These are guys he will be bringing through during his tenure. Guys who want to work for him and will hopefully stand on his ruthlessness in wanting to overtake the names in front of them.

I truly believe this change is too early, but sink or swim, it’s where we are.

All the best Brad, push on, we dont need to recommend diligence, all we can offer is our support.

Go you good thing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It would be great if the end of season review looked at the High Performance department and in particular Sam Cordingley. He has been involved in the reappointment of Graham before he was fired mid contract, the appointment of Stiles who was fired mid contract and now the appointment of Thorn, I wonder how this will end? Also he oversees the player contracts. How has so much talent slipped through his fingers?
While I don't agree with Thorn getting the coaching gig I really hope he does well. I'm just not sure he can do it with the HPU in the hands of Cordingley.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

L.Tui and I.Rodda need to be locked in as the long term lock combination, Ive long been a strong supporter of Simmons and whilst he still has much to offer, he doesn't have long left to offer it.

Re-sign
Talakai
Hunt
Perese
Sanday
Paia'aua
Ngamanu
Hewat
Nabuli
Stewart
Magnay

Time to go:
Kuridrani
McIntyre
Feauai-Sautia
Maranta
Taefu
Gunn

Already gone:
H.Tui(signing with Sunwolves i believe)
C.Neville(needs to go for opportunity)

Jury is still out:
Kite
C.Timu
Sorovi
Vanzati
Simmons(do the begin succession planning now)?

Recruit
Assitant Coaches
Outside back x 2
Inside back x 1
Prop(LHP and THP)
Lock
Openside Flanker
Issak Fines- Leleiwasa

So revisiting this list from earlier in the year: Based on NRC form, I'm thinking maybe CFS and Gunn should be retained for another 12months, Timu and Sorovi have moved from "Jury is still out" to "re-sign". Disappointingly Talakai and Magnay have departed from the list of players i wanted to see retained.

T

TOCC

Another week down, and I’m further convinced Tuttle has to be the starting halfback for 2018, his passing is fast and accurate, and the icing on the cake is his goal kicking.

Is ASY (Angus Scott-Young) signed? He and Wright are playing really well in the QLD Country forward pack, might need another year to put some size and develop a bit further but certainly one for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Very possibly, but I think they were signed (Wright in particular) before the NRC started, whereas Banks was offered a Development but turned it down for fulltime Brumbies.

More thinking for 2019 season IF Gill comes back to replace G.Smith, they won't keep both Wright & Gunn as understudys, whereas Hewat & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) are the beneficiaries of Tui and Houston leaving, knowing that Higs will leave after 2019 also.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Hewat is as much a 7 as he is an 8. Long term in senior footy his best position is the side of the scrum.

Also Banks signed on the dotted line for the Reds in a development thing, but when the Brumbies offered him a full time gig the Reds did not stand in his way which was the right thing to do. The Reds have hedged their bets on a few young flankers, and I assume will be hoping to get Gill to return at which point they can decide who to keep and who to let go. My concern is that once again our back row depth seems to be filled by little guys with Timu being the only brute aside from an ageing (though still brilliant) higgers.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
bebec77177c636c268f0f6d74682cc93.png

Just a sly visit to Ballymore for Sean McMahon.

T

TOCC

well.. you never know... his japan contract doesn't start until the 2018/2019 season, he doesn't have anything to do until next September

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looks like he's already rolling his ankle walking in. Better make that medical thorough!

T

TOCC

Jim Tucker confirmed in the CM that Hendrik Tui isn’t returning in 2018, which I think we already knew, and to be fair I don’t think he should have. Marquee players shouldn’t stay any longer then 2 or maybe 3 years in extenuating circumstances as its blocking pathways for others. He was a fantastic player for the Reds, but it will be good to see guys like Timu offered the position now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Cheik said on TV a while ago that Sean’s manager apparently didn’t want him coming back to Super Rugby in between his 17/18 Jap season and 18/19 Jap season (though if he stays with the Wallabies in 2017 he’ll barely play in Japan).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cheik said on TV a while ago that Sean’s manager apparently didn’t want him coming back to Super Rugby in between his 17/18 Jap season and 18/19 Jap season (though if he stays with the Wallabies in 2017 he’ll barely play in Japan).

Man, he’s standing in that car park, I SAW the fricken photo. If he loiters he’s in trouble. Red for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.