• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
in fact the post immediately prior to mine, the one I was responding to, quite specifically disputed his popularity.
It did. I don't dispute his popularity...and agree with you. But still think it's weird he wasn't used for marketing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Kids love Quade, the elder crowd are a bit more pragmatic towards him with fans either loving him or loathing him, but again the kids absolutely love Quade Cooper.

duckbill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Quade in my experience has always been the most generous with his time after a game, often the last into the sheds and that's why he is so popular. In person he comes off very well and always happy to sign autographs and pose for photos.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Quade in my experience has always been the most generous with his time after a game, often the last into the sheds and that's why he is so popular. In person he comes off very well and always happy to sign autographs and pose for photos.
I’ve had a few chats to him over the years and he has been great. Even post game in a quiet corner of the Caxton when I wasn’t at my best he gave me the time of day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I've always found my time there post-match very entertaining. A fact to which a few old heads on this site could attest.
Didn't say it wasn't entertaining. It was a (obviously cryptic) comment about nights there never being quiet and rarely being at "ones best" there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I find it strange that people are going down the “what the hell is Brad Thorn thinking” path. Why do people think he axed QC (Quade Cooper) as opposed to QC (Quade Cooper) had a dummy spit and walked out.

1. The timing clearly indicates it wasn’t planned.

All the players have been told what the Coach expects, what the standards are and there is no place for dickheads, ego’s or anybody with too many “I’s” in their name.

So BT calls him in and asks him what is going on, where do you see yourself fitting in to this team, the culture we are establishing, the ideals we bringing in to the player group and the standards we are setting as a club.
QC (Quade Cooper) might not have come up with a good answer.
After some discussion, BT might have said well with that attitude, you won’t have a place in the side going forward, that attitude is not going to set the right example and I expect more from a senior player.
QC (Quade Cooper) may have said I don’t agree with your game plan, and I want to do things my way and I don’t train on Saturdays.
BT says that is not going to work or happen.
QC (Quade Cooper) says well you can shove it.

2. The lack of comment from QC (Quade Cooper)’s Manager/Marketing team, indicates that something is amiss from his end, otherwise they would be shouting from the rooftops – “Poor QC (Quade Cooper)”!
3. The reason the Reds have said no more as professionally, they just don’t.

My theory….. just a theory but …..
Just say QC (Quade Cooper) couldn’t make a training session, because he had to get his hair cut, or didn’t like the color of the new training gear so decided to wear his own hoodie range, (we have all heard the stories)
A tight lipped announcement then follows from the Reds that - they had a discussion and QC (Quade Cooper) will be training with his club. Not that he was sacked! To me it reads he has chosen to take the “no other option” to train back in club land as he won’t agree to adhere to the standards, coaching style, game plans, whatever… currently being implemented at the Reds.

Just maybe Quade wasn’t prepared to step up to the demands of excellence that BT is known for ……. And….. the standards us the fans want our team to meet.

BT would have wanted QC (Quade Cooper) to come to the party and show come “Care”, and he would have given him the opportunity to do so.

You do raise some good points that more could have gone on behind closed doors and hence the rather dramatic decision that Quade would not train with the Reds which such a dramatic decision could suggest due to a 'bad attitude'. I appreciate reading on here why people like Quade the player with his relationship with the fans but rugby is a business (and suffered moreso from not being treated enough like it is imo) and hence business decision made to cut Quade and hope people get behind Thorn regardless as you want a Head Coach to be his own man and make decisions that he believes best for the team even if against popular opinion. As do you really want a coach only making decisions that support public opinion or what he believes as head coach believes is best for the team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You do raise some good points that more could have gone on behind closed doors and hence the rather dramatic decision that Quade would not train with the Reds which such a dramatic decision could suggest due to a 'bad attitude'. I appreciate reading on here why people like Quade the player with his relationship with the fans but rugby is a business (and suffered moreso from not being treated enough like it is imo) and hence business decision made to cut Quade and hope people get behind Thorn regardless as you want a Head Coach to be his own man and make decisions that he believes best for the team even if against popular opinion. As do you really want a coach only making decisions that support public opinion or what he believes as head coach believes is best for the team.
My argument is that cutting Quade now is a bad business decision. He has two years left on a contract and there seems to be no plan around how to do this without paying his contract. This is an amateur, emotive decision. I hope it works for the team but from a business sense it is terrible.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My argument is that cutting Quade now is a bad business decision. He has two years left on a contract and there seems to be no plan around how to do this without paying his contract. This is an amateur, emotive decision. I hope it works for the team but from a business sense it is terrible.

You make some good points and hence I wonder if more to it e.g. bad attitude / response in discussions with Thorn that made him feel better to not have in Reds environment with what he was trying to achieve. Who knows....point being none of us probably really know what transpired but at this point with new coach having to make the big decisions you would want to back him and give him some credit for preparedness to make decisions he feels need to be made even if against popular public opinion. Time will tell if he was right but do we really know the full criteria to judge that even. As may well be more than just form and what player offers but player's attitude and how that would support / disrupt team environment and culture in what Thorn trying to establish and achieve. My point is without one knowing what truly transpired is get behind your new Head Coach and give him the benefit of the doubt. As golly after Reds seasons past you surely would not want to crucify him at this stage. Give him a chance and benefit of the doubt as he deserves that imo at this point. Judge him after this season and not before it has even started..just imo.....

Raytah

Allen Oxlade (6)

There is not a chance in hell that the Reds will pay QC (Quade Cooper)'s contract and he will be outside the 23. They want to get him off their books because he is too expensive and not all that good anymore. If he chooses not to sign elsewhere - he will 100% be in the 23.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I still have my UBU Quade Cooper t-shirt that came in the membership pack a few years back. Never worn it but it makes a great polishing rag and brings a shine to the car nicely.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I have read the ad infinitum comments regarding QC (Quade Cooper) & Pickles (and Vanzati), and have given the matter much consideration.
And there can only be one answer, owing to the timing of the announcement & the consequences of that late timing (bad business decision, bad for obtaining replacements, etc, etc).
And that is that something was said that was absolutely abhorrent to the culture of what BT & QRU wants to cultivate, but at the same time not sufficient to void a contract.
' Loose lips sink ships', and I believe that what they were fermenting got back to the coach, who probably fronted them with the 'no ultimatum' situation. I suspect it is something that the three amigos could not afford to have made public for the sake of their reputation.
All this is conjecture on my part, but there is no other plausible explanation.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not really sure why a barely-there frontrower would be involved in any pact between two of the playmakers regarding how they want the team to play around the park. Seems a huge stretch at best.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Got my membership today. Thor is on the card. Like that they have the fridge magnet again, have forgotten games in the past when they didn't send them out.

And the hat is the best one in a few years. 2004's is still my favourite but this one does not suck I have to say.

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
BLK have their 12 days of Christmas promo on at the moment with great deals too.

I feel like a traitor as a Reds fan but the Force training shirts look pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.