• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think he could be a real star in the Reds. I thought he was close to our best last year, maybe only behind Rodda. I’m happy with the progress of Angus Scott-Young, but I’m still surprised with the lack of time for Timu so far.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Timu's handling has let me down badly so far this season, knocked the ball on far too many times in general play

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Timu's handling has let me down badly so far this season, knocked the ball on far too many times in general play

It's his league background, he still carries the ball as if he can only be stripped one on one. Should be an easy fix, not sure why it's taken this long.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Stewart not too bad yesterday, just looks like a star in the making to be honest. If he keeps it up over the next year or two Thorny's call on Karmichael and Quade will start to look a lot better.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think Timu’s problem in the Crusaders game was he was put onto the field 10 points down with 5-10 to go, essentially playing catch-up footy.. he is one of the most powerful ball runners in super rugby but needs to control the attempted offloads a bit and lower his body height in contact.

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Seb Wileman will join the squad for the remainder of the season as injury cover for Petaia, trained with them in pre-season and now pen to paper.

He is a good Shute Shield player, never managed to crack it at Super Rugby level besides a few trial games with the Tahs, highly rated in some circles in Sydney though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Looked him (Wileman) up on rugby.com

Tackle stats from 2019 NRC less than impressive. Premiership with the Rats in 2017. What are the wraps on the guy?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He is a good Shute Shield player, never managed to crack it at Super Rugby level besides a few trial games with the Tahs, highly rated in some circles in Sydney though.

He fits the role of journeyman injury cover..

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wileman is 26 so it's not like he's old.

The Reds need someone who will be ready to go now if they need to slot him in. They've got enough young guys on the development path.

I don’t know. I’d prefer someone being brought in through QPR. This said such a policy would have missed guys like BPA.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Stewart is the conundrum. I have rarely liked him as starting 10 but he is proving to be one of our best in the back line. Putting him at out centre is weird, but after the last game I think it’s not so silly. Though his kicking (still needing plenty of improvement in play) is better than some other 15 options. And he won’t be in the centres when Petaia returns. 13 is a very interesting idea, but I’d keep him at 15 with a roving role to the wide second receiver and to move to 10 for the last 20 min.

Stewart is a genuine puzzle, he must start, but where, and what position should he settle into?

Let Lucas come off the bench. To 15. Hegarty stays at 10.

Another onundrum is CFS. His attack was genuinely good and he made a couple of stand out tackles, but his positional play out wide in D has to get better. There could be structural issues here not of his own making, coaching needs to look at it.

Against the Waratahs, Hegarty was not good at flyhalf.
Whether it was because he had rib damage, who knows?
But out of Stewart, Lucas, & Hegarty, then think no 15 for Hegarty.
Or maybe even the journeyman for 10, 15, or 12.

QPRRF

Frank Nicholson (4)
i Can’t believe the reds posted on the reds website the team doing the team song. The players had paper in their hands because they don’t know the words. Imagine the Allblacks doing the Haka with a script.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
i Can’t believe the reds posted on the reds website the team doing the team song. The players had paper in their hands because they don’t know the words. Imagine the Allblacks doing the Haka with a script.

its clearly a new song and they wanted to enjoy the moment. I can't imagine its the type of thing you'd practise much (unlike the haka).

Give them a break

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Who cares - the boys seemed pretty excited to be singing it - BPA/Tate especially. Would you rather they spend Wednesday night doing singing practice?

Sidenote - I've always wondered how much time the All Blacks devote to haka practice. Is it one big session at the start of the season, or is it a weekly practice?

The idea of them all in leggings in a studio surrounded by mirrors, 'Come on Ardie, it's step, step, PIVOT, step'........