• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If the report of QC (Quade Cooper) undermining the previous coaces at the Reds is correct, would you really think any other Super Rugby franchise would be interested, once they knew of this?
I think more pertinent to another clubs consideration would be Quade's most recent Super Rugby form. Which was pretty bloody bad.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Cheers Dilly.

While there might be something in what Marto is saying. In my books, he's the Donald Trump of Rugby. He tends to open his mouth, say something wrong and never gets pulled up on it.

I don't doubt Quade deviated from the plans, but we've known that for years. Link even mentioned it and he (Quade) plays better with a rough structure in place and then adapts in the game

I can understand why Thorn doesn't want this approach for his team and Eddie Jones is cut from the same cloth. But, I don't think it's as big as a problem as the "fake news" Marto would have you believe.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Every now and then, while immersed in sticky gloom, something good happens (last one was Hunt getting club game time). Go Slipper! Great news.

Also probably says something about Hunt that is less exciting, but my "probably go to the game" just flicked over to see you all on the hill. :)
For me I accept thorn’s position if he won’t let back in cooper, hunt and slipper but let them play elsewhere as they have all done their punishment and crazy to turn away this much talent and not let oz rugby benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On the matter of Cooper's and Hunt's non-selection for the Reds, one would hope the ARU/RA have learnt a lesson here and construct future Wallaby top-ups so's they can determine a player receiving said top-up to play where directed. In the cases of these two the Brumbies and/or Rebels could've done with their services this year, and next.

If players in line to receive W top-ups don't want to risk playing where told to go, don't take 'em. One would, of course, hope these harsh decisions would be extremely rare.
I agree RA top ups should come with conditions that they can be directed to another franchise if cut from that franchise.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree RA top ups should come with conditions that they can be directed to another franchise if cut from that franchise.

That would be illegal, i'm pretty sure. Doesn't it basically amount to a restraint of trade clause or some such?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For me I accept thorn’s position if he won’t let back in cooper, hunt and slipper but let them play elsewhere as they have all done their punishment and crazy to turn away this much talent and not let oz rugby benefit.

I think there is more to this. The Reds invested big time in Quade, exacerbated now with Hunt and Slipper. The CEO really needed to understand whether an HC appointment was going to use this investment and if not this should have impacted the HC decision.

You have an HC actively working against the HQ investment plan. In my mind those two issues should be mutually exclusive.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh you are right I doubt it would be allowed for restraint of trade reasons

It wouldn't be a restraint of trade if written into a contract.

However players been pushed to another organisation without been told happens to a lot of athletes in different sports. For instance the American model is based around the players been contracted to the league and not the individual clubs. This allows players to be traded on a whim without notice, infact some players have been traded up to 3/4 times within several weeks. This has lead to certain marque players placing a no trade rule in the contracts to restrict this. A free agent however is a free agent and can negotiate with and to whom ever they wish.

The American market has been professional for so long, they have these things refined. Aus rugby is so new to professional sports and learning some harsh lessons in an unforgiving market

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think there is more to this. The Reds invested big time in Quade, exacerbated now with Hunt and Slipper. The CEO really needed to understand whether an HC appointment was going to use this investment and if not this should have impacted the HC decision.

You have an HC actively working against the HQ investment plan. In my mind those two issues should be mutually exclusive.
I think it is more than that Dru. If Thorn wants to create culture that means zero tolerance against drugs it is actually hard to argue against his position as end of the day those players have done the crime!. Quade issue more complex and I don't purport to fully understand his reasons but equally I guess you want a coach prepared to make the hard decisions.

At this stage I would rather Hunt, and Slipper to play elsewhere with another oz franchise and even the Force in WSR than be lost to oz rugby. Same with Quade but he has turned down those opportunities. For me glad to see what these 3 players offer in NRC and if Quade plays well and no broader attitude issues behind Thorns position that yes Thorn reconsider.

Many seem to forget Quade's last season with the Reds was pretty forgettable form wise but yes lets see how he goes in NRC and indeed if plays well and no other issues would agree crazy not to bring Quade back in the fold given Lance now gone.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it is more than that Dru. If Thorn wants to create culture that means zero tolerance against drugs it is actually hard to argue against his position as end of the day those players have done the crime!. Quade issue more complex and I don't purport to fully understand his reasons but equally I guess you want a coach prepared to make the hard decisions.

At this stage I would rather Hunt, and Slipper to play elsewhere with another oz franchise and even the Force in WSR than be lost to oz rugby. Same with Quade but he has turned down those opportunities. For me glad to see what these 3 players offer in NRC and if Quade plays well and no broader attitude issues behind Thorns position that yes Thorn reconsider.

Many seem to forget Quade's last season with the Reds was pretty forgettable form wise but yes lets see how he goes in NRC and indeed if plays well and no other issues would agree crazy not to bring Quade back in the fold given Lance now gone.
I am the same as you, would rather see these guys head elsewhere in Aus than lost.

Be nice to see the Reds do some wheeling and dealing with some other franchises to help strengthen their roster and boost some of the other Aus sides.

Slipper to Rebels for English - can play (11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
Hunt to Tahs for Gordon - could push Rona to wing and Hunt plays 13
Quade???
Maybe Perese if there is a problem for him at Reds

Get some value for these players to improve not only themselves but other aus teams as there is several players around that are Super Rugby standard or better not playing week in week out as they should be (Gordon, Naivalu, etc.)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It doesn’t really matter which way you look at it, pro the exiled or pro the HC. Either way there is a seated problem between the exec/CEO and the HC. The only thing that changes with your POV is allocation of blame for the problem.

The problem itself remains.

If I recall from Reg correctly we have a Chair but not a CEO at the moment? Presumably someone has paid a price.

We’re still left whith an under-resourced HC, largely self inflicted, a franchise struggling commercially, and some major talent atrophying.

I have said earlier it is a situation that has run far too long and it is time for the BS to end. If there is no ability to resolve QC (Quade Cooper) and Hunt and Slipper, then the HC must be resolved. Thorn may need to hear “my way or the highway” himself.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
The peanuts on the front page seem to think he'd be the starting Wallaby 10 tomorrow if we had a different coach.
They're idiots.

Anyone with half a brain knows there is zero chance of Foley being dropped irrespective of his form.

He is untouchable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And that QC (Quade Cooper)’s form of late has not been enough to suggest he’ll be the Brisbane City starting 10 let alone test rugby.

Still passing nicely and his kicking is very good, but he’s barely running and his contact work is quite minimal.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Strong suggestions of Kerevi to Brumbies. It can't be financial soooo either he doesn't like the Reds, or playing 12 at the Brumbies is very appealing (unless TK is leaving....but I doubt it)