• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What I will say, is in years gone by it’s the capitulation in some matches by the Reds which made me really question my support of them, if the players didn’t care then why should I, the Rebels loss tonight made me consider this, and even though the Reds win-loss ratio this year isn’t much better then RG/Stiles Years, it’s the manner in which they’ve played all season which gives me greater hope. They’ve all been pretty bloody close losses, there’s been no losses that I’ve thought they’ve just given up, they have certainly being outplayed, outsmarted and outclassed, but the players never seem to give up... that might sound pathetic but it gives me hope, I can support a player who tries, but not a team who capitulates and throws in the towel.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What I will say, is in years gone by it’s the capitulation in some matches by the Reds which made me really question my support of them, if the players didn’t care then why should I, the Rebels loss tonight made me consider this, and even though the Reds win-loss ratio this year isn’t much better then RG/Stiles Years, it’s the manner in which they’ve played all season which gives me greater hope. They’ve all been pretty bloody close losses, there’s been no losses that I’ve thought they’ve just given up, they have certainly being outplayed, outsmarted and outclassed, but the players never seem to give up. that might sound pathetic but it gives me hope, I can support a player who tries, but not a team who capitulates and throws in the towel.

Yeah the wins aren't coming but there's actually seem like they are all putting in, they are going to get better and will be a force, only takes a small change and you could be winning not losing more then you put out.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
It seems strange that we should be congratulating professional players on not giving up. It is their job after all and a very well paid one. Our win-loss ratio is also boosted by having two close wins over the Sunwolves, who only won two games all season and had the axe from Super Rugby hanging over them.

Definitely some positives in the young players being blooded and good to see guys like Campbell grab their opportunity but then others seem to be discarded, the way Stewart and Sorovi seem to have been handled is odd. The collapse in crowd support must be very concerning to the QRU but I don't see any real attempts to engage the rugby public.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It seems strange that we should be congratulating professional players on not giving up. It is their job after all and a very well paid one. Our win-loss ratio is also boosted by having two close wins over the Sunwolves, who only won two games all season and had the axe from Super Rugby hanging over them.

Definitely some positives in the young players being blooded and good to see guys like Campbell grab their opportunity but then others seem to be discarded, the way Stewart and Sorovi seem to have been handled is odd. The collapse in crowd support must be very concerning to the QRU but I don't see any real attempts to engage the rugby public.

I guess the attitude is just better then when RG or Stiles was in charge. Your a few good players off and losing Samu won't help but there was talk in commentary of TK signing with the Reds next year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I guess the attitude is just better then when RG or Stiles was in charge.

Is it really, though? And if so is the difference enough to make up for the crazy start by Brad Thorn?

I think Thorn shows Promise (c/f ability) but so too did Stiles. Are we really much ahead of having kept Stiles?

I feel that certain fans here are being very forgiving. Reds are doing poorly in an Australian conference that doesn’t really match up. There were years/seasons where this would not be considered slightly good enough.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is it really, though? And if so is the difference enough to make up for the crazy start by Brad Thorn?

I think Thorn shows Promise (c/f ability) but so too did Stiles. Are we really much ahead of having kept Stiles?

I feel that certain fans here are being very forgiving. Reds are doing poorly in an Australian conference that doesn’t really match up. There were years/seasons where this would not be considered slightly good enough.

What would you see as the solution, I think its been a shit show, but I think at the moment, your best bet is staying the course, and hopefully the massive risk taken pays off, it's slowly coming that way.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Is it really possibly Samu is going?

With Folau going all Dark Ages on us, there is a lot of money left over.

How in the flying fuck is a huge chunk of that not being thrown at Kerevi? He and Petaia are on the cusp of forming on of the most devastating centre combinations in rugby history, and he's seriously going to bail NOW?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What would you see as the solution, I think its been a shit show, but I think at the moment, your best bet is staying the course, and hopefully the massive risk taken pays off, it's slowly coming that way.

The problem is this situation is Groundhog Day. Again.

I have said this before, but the arrangement of bringing Thorn in had flaws as I understand it from HQ. We had no CEO, or a transition piece, and the inexperienced Thorn was given a blank slate that included presumption of the right to damage Reds assets. A firm CEO was required.

Yes I would hold Thorn, this doesn’t mean I like the shit sandwich. His first 2 years were always going to be throw aways due to his inexperience. That is over now, as any new coach he should understand from here he has milestones to meet and he needs to step up.

And I’d like some of the Thorn lovers to take off the rose coloured glasses.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Is it really possibly Samu is going?

With Folau going all Dark Ages on us, there is a lot of money left over.

How in the flying fuck is a huge chunk of that not being thrown at Kerevi? He and Petaia are on the cusp of forming on of the most devastating centre combinations in rugby history, and he's seriously going to bail NOW?

I am only speculating but it wouldn't surprise me if RA were waiting on the outcome of the Folau thing to have one last hail mary play at keeping Samu. Yes they would have a heap of spare cash now but if they lose this thing in court then they could also be bankrupt so perhaps they've told him that's their play and thats why nothings been announced as final. No idea. Just guessing but people keep saying RA has heaps of cash now when the reality is they don't just yet.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I dunno Curve, remember the 06 - 09 years. Compare the efforts on the field to this year and it's atleast heartening to see the team giving it a crack.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think the Samu deal has been finished behind closed doors for quite a while now. There was a big turnout of his friends to watch what was highly published on social media as his last Reds home game on the weekend.

Any change to that now would be a massive back flip to whats he had already decided.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I've heard the money from Japan was simply to big to ignore given RA didn't rate him as highly as quite a number of other players within Australia, it hasn't been announced because it needs to be released by the Japanese club first.

B

Bobby Sands

I am only speculating but it wouldn't surprise me if RA were waiting on the outcome of the Folau thing to have one last hail mary play at keeping Samu. Yes they would have a heap of spare cash now but if they lose this thing in court then they could also be bankrupt so perhaps they've told him that's their play and thats why nothings been announced as final. No idea. Just guessing but people keep saying RA has heaps of cash now when the reality is they don't just yet.

Imagine if Folau bankrupts the ARU.

The league experiment hasn't been great. But I still think we should go after the true unions kids playing league such as Crichton, Frizzell, Connor Murray.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Imagine if Folau bankrupts the ARU.

The league experiment hasn't been great. But I still think we should go after the true unions kids playing league such as Crichton, Frizzell, Connor Murray.

Getting OT now but apparently RA have taken out insurance to the tune of $10M to cover the possibility of a loss at trial. No idea how much that would cost but hopefully it takes the possibility of bankruptcy off the table.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I've heard the money from Japan was simply to big to ignore given RA didn't rate him as highly as quite a number of other players within Australia, it hasn't been announced because it needs to be released by the Japanese club first.
Suntory, I think.