• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Duncan Paia'aua will join french club Toulon in 2019 after the Super Rugby.

Predictable, DP doesn’t seem to fit the Thorn mould. That’s something that used to see my eyes glaze red but I’ve worn down to an irritated despondency these days. Let’s hope he has some rugby nous to go with his “culture” of tough. The honey badger used to call it “up the guts and into ‘em”. Mackay could be the key ingredient, in fact Thorn has plenty of coaching talent to harness. It is not all doom by a long shot.

Creativity now seems to rely solely on Stewart and set play. Before that Stewart has a job in front of him to build an ability to direct game leadership/strategy. It’s a lot to get a grip on and I doubted Thorn was the bloke for the job. Mackay maybe.

But each time you see Stewart diving Pocock-like into a ruck, start thinking about his job before you laud a 10 who isn’t scared of D.

It’s not all doom, there are great things happening and I am loving the kid Reds. But it’s wrong to think there are no hairs stuck on this.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Do we know how long it is for? It might just be one of those joker contracts that the NH clubs did last World Cup to cover their international stars who were missing

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Do we know how long it is for? It might just be one of those joker contracts that the NH clubs did last World Cup to cover their international stars who were missing

2 years according to one of the (translated) reports - replacing Malikai Fekitoa
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/tran...-les-valises-detzebeth_sto7055977/story.shtml

Interestingly, the reports talk about some date of January 15th that announcements of signings are (apparently) not allowed before in the Southern Hemisphere. I've never heard of that.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
toulon suffering without a reasonable 12/15 option. Bastareud's days seem numbered, savea and Tuisova were average at 12, feki used more as 13 and will be gone soon to premiership, their other reds import has been average (placcid). they probably tried to sign kerevi who said no as toulon always targets fijians first as they can be bought 'cheaper'.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
toulon suffering without a reasonable 12/15 option. Bastareud's days seem numbered, savea and Tuisova were average at 12, feki used more as 13 and will be gone soon to premiership, their other reds import has been average (placcid). they probably tried to sign kerevi who said no as toulon always targets fijians first as they can be bought 'cheaper'.
Doubt this is the case for an Australian capped player.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
not really, nearly all fijian players carry the fiji passport, all they need to do is sign to a club using their fiji passport and they are "locals" in france, thus cheaper and not marquee, even if they are capped by australia or nz..y do you think clermont targeted naholo? or why bordeaux took all black, seta tamanivalu and wallabies capped eto nabuli? apart from rokocoko, every fijian capped by another country that has played in france all hold a fiji passport.. even nadolo who lived for more than 15 years in australia (has dual citizenship)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
not really, nearly all fijian players carry the fiji passport, all they need to do is sign to a club using their fiji passport and they are "locals" in france, thus cheaper and not marquee, even if they are capped by australia or nz..y do you think clermont targeted naholo? or why bordeaux took all black, seta tamanivalu and wallabies capped eto nabuli? apart from rokocoko, every fijian capped by another country that has played in france all hold a fiji passport.. even nadolo who lived for more than 15 years in australia (has dual citizenship)
But surely Kerevi would still demand a huge salary? Okay, he doesnt have to be signed as a marquee so thats favourable in terms of squad composition. But in monetary terms i don't think that would alter his demands?

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Glass half full man. I think we have enough talent in the backs. A few wins and some meat pies will give them confidence.

I hope Jim can really get them to unleash. The pack are good enough to give them plenty of pill.

Get ready for the new hegemony - fingers crossed;)

B

Bobby Sands

I genuinely think Samu causes more issues than he solves - he has already shown a wondering eye by flirting with the Brumbies and if he wants to go - sayonara.

Petaia is the future, if not the present, and like all Australian sides we don't have a good 12 and need to find one.

Matt Gordon is someone I would be looking at, however.

Damn shame we did not sign Pasitoa.