• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2019

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Best team:

1. JP Smith
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Timu
7. Wright
8. Higginbotham (c)
9. Tuttle (when fit)
10. Stewart
11. Naivalu
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Daugunu
15. Hegarty
16. Mafi
17. Hoopert
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. Korczyk
21. Sorovi
22. McGahan (when fit)
23. Petaia

dru

Tim Horan (67)
kerevi needs to be 12, petaia needs to be 13

I'm not sure about "needs to be" but I suspect that Thorn's "style" wont allow DP to be a starter unless he is doing something extrordinary. I'd imagine Duncan has a season in front of him starring as depth. And that makes Kerevi 12; Petaia 13 more likely.

Also, after Reg's crazy news about McGahan I would think Hegarty will appear as back up 10 at some point. Though we have lacked a defined 15 as well.

I'm hoping for a big year from Adam Korczyk - he needs it going forward. The bloke seems to be filling out nicely.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm not sure about "needs to be" but I suspect that Thorn's "style" wont allow DP to be a starter unless he is doing something extrordinary. I'd imagine Duncan has a season in front of him starring as depth. And that makes Kerevi 12; Petaia 13 more likely.

Also, after Reg's crazy news about McGahan I would think Hegarty will appear as back up 10 at some point. Though we have lacked a defined 15 as well.

I'm hoping for a big year from Adam Korczyk - he needs it going forward. The bloke seems to be filling out nicely.

The only thing working against DP at 12 (apart from Thorns early season preference for Kerevi @ 12 - which was found out tactically) is the introduction of an actual 2nd playmaker at 15 (Hegarty).

If Hegarty can effectively be the 2nd play maker/ wider channel decision maker/ tactical kicker - then perhaps Kerevi could be 12.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
yea sorry, needs to be was a bit strong

just makes sense to me for both those players to be in those positions, especially for their wallaby aspirations.

I'd have DP at 15 and Hegarty on the bench covering 10/15

dru

Tim Horan (67)
yea sorry, needs to be was a bit strong

just makes sense to me for both those players to be in those positions, especially for their wallaby aspirations.

I'd have DP at 15 and Hegarty on the bench covering 10/15

Agree. Wasn’t trying to suggest it was too strong just that Thorn seems to me to take a view on things. Which you can expect from an HC.

The only thing working against DP at 12 (apart from Thorns early season preference for Kerevi @ 12 - which was found out tactically) is the introduction of an actual 2nd playmaker at 15 (Hegarty).

If Hegarty can effectively be the 2nd play maker/ wider channel decision maker/ tactical kicker - then perhaps Kerevi could be 12.

I hope you are right, I am a fan of DP. I’m looking forward to what Hegarty can bring though.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Best team:

1. JP Smith
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Rodda
5. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6. Timu
7. Wright
8. Higginbotham (c)
9. Tuttle (when fit)
10. Stewart
11. Naivalu
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Daugunu
15. Hegarty
16. Mafi
17. Hoopert
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. Korczyk
21. Sorovi
22. McGahan (when fit)
23. Petaia

Team above but wouldn't be surprised to see 12. Kerevi 13. Feauai-Sautia 14. Petaia. 22. Paia'aua 23. Daugunu

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tuttle won't be fit I don't believe. June I thought was the last timing?

1 JP Smith
2 BPA
3 Tupou
4 Rodda
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Timu
7 Wright
8 Higgers
9 McDermott
10 Stewart
11 Daugunu
12 Kerevi
13 Petaia
14 Naivalu
15 Hegarty

16 Mafi
17 Hoopert
18 Ruan Smith
19 Hockings
20 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21 Sorovi
22 Paia'aua
23 CFS

Who do we think is skipper? Higgers the incumbent but has only joined the team now. Kerevi a good shout but if he's leaving next year do we bother? Might be time to do a Horwill and give it to Rodda?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Interesting to see the end of Karmichael. Joined 2015, scored four tries in four seasons, talked a bit, and sucked a whole lot of limited QRU resources down the toilet.

You could probably apportion the dollars per try. Not much really went right, he was underweight and wrong body type when he joined and didn't have the vintage karmichael bump on him. Off field problems began right from the start. Guilty of possessing Cocaine in 2015, and then of possessing a prescription drug last year (no conviction recorded).

Take all that and get rid of millions of QRU money that could have been spent on keeping players like Banks, or investing in youth, or even employing off field staff... pretty dire.

I think management at QRU will look at marquee player acquisition in a different light from now on - with such limited resources already, should they really be staking the future on such gambles? I think its clear to see there was large sums of money tied down in a few players that just never delivered for the Reds and have cost us precious years in player development.

Reactions: gel

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Rodda for Captain
Kerevi for VC
Angus Scott-Young for Vice-Vice Captain. Watching his interviews last year, I think he should be part of the leadership group as he seems like a guy who leadership comes naturally to.

Reactions: BDA

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Interesting to see the end of Karmichael. Joined 2015, scored four tries in four seasons, talked a bit, and sucked a whole lot of limited QRU resources down the toilet.

You could probably apportion the dollars per try. Not much really went right, he was underweight and wrong body type when he joined and didn't have the vintage karmichael bump on him. Off field problems began right from the start. Guilty of possessing Cocaine in 2015, and then of possessing a prescription drug last year (no conviction recorded).

Take all that and get rid of millions of QRU money that could have been spent on keeping players like Banks, or investing in youth, or even employing off field staff. pretty dire.

I think management at QRU will look at marquee player acquisition in a different light from now on - with such limited resources already, should they really be staking the future on such gambles? I think its clear to see there was large sums of money tied down in a few players that just never delivered for the Reds and have cost us precious years in player development.

Agree that marquee players have not been good for the Reds - I would say that Daniel Braid has really been the only really good one. However he hasn't been the only one sucking up resources and not delivering on the field - CFS is another with acknowledged ability but not often demonstrated delivery or interest. This will be his 8th season, for 13 tries according to the Reds profile. His failings have been recurring injuries but that's limited the chance to recruit other players.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree that marquee players have not been good for the Reds - I would say that Daniel Braid has really been the only really good one. However he hasn't been the only one sucking up resources and not delivering on the field - CFS is another with acknowledged ability but not often demonstrated delivery or interest. This will be his 8th season, for 13 tries according to the Reds profile. His failings have been recurring injuries but that's limited the chance to recruit other players.

I liked the Canberra Raiders fullback we had - years ago

B

Bobby Sands

Who’s knows anything about this fullback from Perth? Seems a strange signing (read, speculative investment) on first look.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

Take all that and get rid of millions of QRU money that could have been spent on keeping players like Banks, or investing in youth, or even employing off field staff. pretty dire.

I think you have made a pretty big error in your post......... I have highlighted it for you.

That statement assumes the QRU management learn from past experiences and there's no empirical evidence to suggest that is likely :p