• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If Reg is right about Rodda being injured you’d have to assume Salakaia-Loto will start the first game at lock.

Whilst starting Wilson would be a step up, there is a vacancy to fill, he seems to have handled the challenges thrown to him so far and Thorn has shown before he will back the young guys to succeed.

I’m thoroughly enjoying the pick up in rugby discussion over the last week.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
While it continues to increase depth in the front row I am scratching my head on how three Qld props who played in the Jnr Wallabies last year (Egan Siggs, Rhys Van Nek and Liam Usher) have been overlooked when selecting Dane Zander into the larger Reds squad.

From memory, Zander could not make it into the first cut of the Jnr Wallaby Squad. What changed post Jnr World Cup for Zander to leap these three in the pecking order?

B

Bobby Sands

While it continues to increase depth in the front row I am scratching my head on how three Qld props who played in the Jnr Wallabies last year (Egan Siggs, Rhys Van Nek and Liam Usher) have been overlooked when selecting Dane Zander into the larger Reds squad.

From memory, Zander could not make it into the first cut of the Jnr Wallaby Squad. What changed post Jnr World Cup for Zander to leap these three in the pecking order?

Rhys Van Nek should feel particularly unlucky.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Is it work ethic? Genuine question. Maybe Thorn thinks he is the most likely to succeed in the longer term??

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Van Nek is a tight head prop, and Zander is a loose head prop. Van Nek is on a development contract with the reds academy but unlikely to see game time with 3 fit THP ahead of him. Although I agree he is a promising prospect.

Reds have a shortfall at loosehead prop especially with Hoopert been injured and Fotuaika still returning from injury. I think they just need depth for the trial matches, and Zander is the next LHP in line development wise.

THP:
Tupou
Feao
Nasser
Van Nek

LHP:
Smith
Hoopert
Fotuaika
Zander

Feao can play both, but has been training at THP. And frankly that’s because I don’t think Nasser is ready for Super Rugby just yet..

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Without being disrespectful to Zander, having watched him play all of his rugby his whole life he is not a Super Rugby standard squad member in my opinion

Great fella who is well liked but was pushed up the grades at Norths and into 1st grade because of their lack of depth. Was then selected in NRC because some players pulled out and selectors like the idea that a 20 year old is playing 1st grade at prop. At most other clubs around Brisbane he would've been fringe 2nd grade/3rd grade.

I could be incredibly wrong and obviously people at the Reds have seen something. Can anyone explain what I'm missing? Siggs is a loose head too btw.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Dane has improved out of sight in the last year and won't shock me to see him feature in both trials with the injuries in his position. To suggest at other clubs he would be "fringe 2nd/3rd grade" is a ridiculous statement.

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah disagree he would have been a fringe 2nd or 3rd grade player, he went pretty well during the QPR.
Last year I was thinking the same thing about Fotuaika as what is been said about Zander.

lillicrap and Thorn seem to have a reasonably good eye for scrummaging talent, I’m interested to see if he is Fotuaika 2.0.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
yeah I must be mising something because I just haven't seen it. I know when he played 2nds Colts they would bring him on in 5 minute spells because he had impact/couldn't go longer than that, and when he moved up to the 1sts Colts they did the same.

In saying that he was punching out decent minutes in QPR.

Fotuaika was similar in the sense he was carrying added weight when in QPR and the Reds plucked him out and he was developing quite nicely before injury. I just thought he was a little bit older and had 2/3 years of QPR experience.

Clearly they see some long term development there that is worth more than bringing in a seasoned 1st grader

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reds first trial game in 3 days, and it seems the weather gods have been kind, Gladstone is forecast to be around 26 degrees, overcast and a chance of showers when the Reds are playing on Friday.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Reds first trial game in 3 days, and it seems the weather gods have been kind, Gladstone is forecast to be around 26 degrees, overcast and a chance of showers when the Reds are playing on Friday.

Anyone know if this is being streamed?

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Gladstone squad announced

St.George Queensland Reds v Melbourne Rebels – Marley Brown Oval, Gladstone on 17 January at 2:45pm AEST
Forwards
Dane Zander
Brandon Paenga-Amosa
Alex Mafi
Sean Farrell
Efi Ma’afu
Taniela Tupou
Dave Feao
Josh Nasser
Angus Blyth
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
Ryan Smith