• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The Tah's are all over the place this year so it might give the Reds some insights. Less home games next year though might make it interesting. Always that breadth vs depth issue. Do you spread yourself around so a fan sees you live once a season or do you cultivate a strong home ground which fans return to again and again. Affects things like memberships etc.. if fans cant see all games.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Home games for 2020 have all been locked up at Suncorp Stadium. Changing this may incur a penalty and have effect on locking in future deals. Regional games maybe part of the planning for 2021.

B

Bobby Sands

Play a game at Toowoomba Grammar. It’s one of the best “sunk” grounds.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
full article here:
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/01/25/super-rugby-reds-thorn-regional-games
I've long been an advocate of QLD playing more games around the state. Townsville is almost a no brainer. I really hope the QRU can kick on and get at least 1 ex Brisbane fixture per season. I'd love to see 3 if it can work financially.
I think three matches away are too many. Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of Super Rugby being payed outside of Brisbane and would love to see it, but three games a season would be too many.

In a non-finals year under the current format it would mean only five home games in Brisbane. You would not be able to build momentum with fans and I dont see how you can build the profile of the team to get more eyes on the game in the states biggest city with only a handful of games.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's more realistic, in my opinion, to take some club rugby games to the bush. That is happening in NSw. (For all I know, it is also happening in QLD; if so, apologies).

Maybe an occasional game at a really top stadium, like Townsville.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
the plan is to take the Fiji v Wallaby test to Townsville.

They sell memberships and hospitality on the basis of a set number of games at Suncorp. If a council was willing to cover those costs then it's likely to happen. Otherwise more than likely just trials.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I recall a game went to Townsville in 2006 or 07? It didn't get much of a crowd from memory. Was slated to be a yearly occurrence but the support just wasn't there to be viable. Why would it be any different now?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You're correct the Reds played the Highlanders in 2006, it was the last game in an abysmal season and the crowd wasn't great(10,000).. They actually managed to win that game as well..

Why should they go back? Well it was 15 years ago, it was a poor season, Townsville has a flash new stadium and TDRU has worked had at expanding the game up there with strong growth in juniors in the Townsville District.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I suspect we might be better to target a non-nrl home town. There is opportunity in regional Q, but is that opportunity strongest in a town with an established league team?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
There are only 2 suitable rectangular stadiums in Queensland outside of Brisbane which have the necessary corporate facilities, lighting, capacity and pitch quality to host a Super Rugby or Test game.. Gold Coast and Townsville.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
You're correct the Reds played the Highlanders in 2006, it was the last game in an abysmal season and the crowd wasn't great(10,000).. They actually managed to win that game as well..

Why should they go back? Well it was 15 years ago, it was a poor season, Townsville has a flash new stadium and TDRU has worked had at expanding the game up there with strong growth in juniors in the Townsville District.

I guess it's worth another shot. 10k isn't too bad a crowd in a pro league town. I seem to recall a game in Cairns at some point to. Might have been a trial. I guess a lot comes down to money.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Like Reg mentioned, a lot comes down to the local/state govt supporting it to make it worthwhile. 10k in Townsville could be worth more then 10k at Suncorp depending how the deal is negotiated.

I’m sure the QLD Govt will be throwing in a generous financial incentive for the Wallabies to play Fiji up there. For new stadiums, marquee events help to justify the expenditure. Hence Perth winning the hosting rights to so many key events at Optus Stadium.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's more realistic, in my opinion, to take some club rugby games to the bush. That is happening in NSw. (For all I know, it is also happening in QLD; if so, apologies).

Maybe an occasional game at a really top stadium, like Townsville.
Semi Pro footy like Brothers vs GPS in Cairns is exactly the sort of thing that would excite the locals and build engagement with the community.

On a non-sarcastic note meaningful games in the bush would be great, however as mentioned it would leave too few games for the base support to watch.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Semi Pro footy like Brothers vs GPS in Cairns is exactly the sort of thing that would excite the locals and build engagement with the community.

On a non-sarcastic note meaningful games in the bush would be great, however as mentioned it would leave too few games for the base support to watch.

So, to sum up your opinion, my suggestion is crap, but you cannot come up with a better one?

Some of these "semi-professional" clubs have long and distinguished histories, and I know from personal experience that people who live a long way from the big cities appreciate seeing them visit their towns and play for competition points.

Again, what is wrong with that, exactly?

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
Years ago there used to be a great competition which involved the Premier clubs playing the different regions - so Wests would play Darling Downs or GPS would play North Queensland, Brothers would play Central Queensland etc. This was a great way to get top quality players to regional centres and still have the local players involved. It also allowed the Brisbane clubs to have proper away trips. Also probably good scouting for the Premier.
I think they also have been a colts comp running alongside but I'm not sure of that.
I know it would be expensive to run, but surely it would be a great way to boost rugby across the whole state. Imagine UQ playing North Queensland in Mt Isa or Goondiwindi, Longreach, Emerald hosting games as well as the bigger cities like Toowoomba, Rocky or Townsville.
Thoughts?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I actually pitched something similar to a few clubs about 5 years back - a Brisbane vs the Bush type pre-season tournament.

Bottom 3 teams from the prior year QPR vs a rotating 3 teams from regional Queensland. Played over 3 weeks, week one all the teams at a regional ground, next week at a ground in Brisbane and then a 'final' of sorts at Ballymore.

Reasoning for the bottom 3 teams to be involved was to avoid the rich getting richer and give the bottom dwellers a bit of a look in and connections to some possible regional talent.

Anyway, the idea was well received but as usual, funding would be an issue and also timing of the games etc...

B

Bobby Sands

I actually pitched something similar to a few clubs about 5 years back - a Brisbane vs the Bush type pre-season tournament.

Bottom 3 teams from the prior year QPR vs a rotating 3 teams from regional Queensland. Played over 3 weeks, week one all the teams at a regional ground, next week at a ground in Brisbane and then a 'final' of sorts at Ballymore.

Reasoning for the bottom 3 teams to be involved was to avoid the rich getting richer and give the bottom dwellers a bit of a look in and connections to some possible regional talent.

Anyway, the idea was well received but as usual, funding would be an issue and also timing of the games etc.

I applaud your initiative. Its a shame that good ideas are often a step too far what already exists to get the rubber stamp.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
The teams for Friday for the Brumbies and Reds have been released and it looks like it's going to be a good match. I have a query/reservation on their second row, but otherwise the Brumbies forwards look better (but hopefully will get smashed). I rate our back line though, so if the forwards can hold the Brumbies out, we can win, especially with tries from broken play.
If Hocking, Hoopert and McReight weren't injured, the forward pack (inc reserves) would be very strong.