• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can't see a positive in this Reds backline that isn't named Tate, Sefa, Samu, or Jordan. The first is 20 and could just be a flash in the pan. The second and third are gone (edit: Speight is not as good as Sefa, but still a good pickup, so can kind-of be considerd a like for like?). The fourth had an injury which can ruin the physical potential of anyone. Damn right you should be looking to recruit backs.

Look at the success of the Brumbies backline this year with three on-par scrumhalves, three first choice wingers, one of whom can play fullback, and an open contest for 12. If Kuridrani or Banks went down, it would really suck, but we'd have options I have faith in.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I know the Reds finances are tight, but with Cooper, Slipper & Hunts contracts finally running out and Kerevi departing along with Higgers, Timu etc there must be some cash freed up.

I think they should be looking primarily at backs. With Speight having been contracted a strong 12 would be the biggest priority for me, even if they’ve decided that will be Stewart’s long term spot.

S

Show-n-go

I can't see a positive in this Reds backline that isn't named Tate, Sefa, Samu, or Jordan. The first is 20 and could just be a flash in the pan. The second and third are gone. The fourth had an injury which can ruin the physical potential of anyone. Damn right you should be looking to recruit backs.

I’d argue Chris FS has finally come good

Played himself into a Smokey chance of making the WC squad, I’d call that a win for the reds

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I’d like us to target a skilful 12 to pair with our backs next year. Between McGahan, Stewart and Hegarty I think we have a group of players who can more that adequately stick to and execute a game plan at 10 and 15. I’d like to see CFS back to the wing, and Jordan P at 13 next year, so that leaves room for a nice high profile 12, maybe a 2007 version of Matt Giteau if anyone has a spare lying around.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I’d like us to target a skilful 12 to pair with our backs next year. Between McGahan, Stewart and Hegarty I think we have a group of players who can more that adequately stick to and execute a game plan at 10 and 15. I’d like to see CFS back to the wing, and Jordan P at 13 next year, so that leaves room for a nice high profile 12, maybe a 2007 version of Matt Giteau if anyone has a spare lying around.

But that's not Thornball. He has gone for the smash it up power runner at 12. DP provided the skilful 12 model and was left out. I think the Lucas model would last a couple of games and then be replaced with a big 12. I thought that Stewart with his strong defence and kicking game could be a good 12 option - what has actually happened to him - not named for the Reds, did he play for Bond?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think that’s harsh. Kerevi has had his best year ever at 12 and CFS arguably his best year at 13. I’m really disappointed to see Paia’aua go, and there are lots of things you could be critical of with the Reds backs, but Kerevi at 12 was a big tick for me. And one of the reasons he was so good were the extra things he added to his game.

I think it is worth remembering too that for most of the season we had anything between 4-6 front line backs out.

S

Show-n-go

Thought Duncan was very underrated and underused this year. Think he would have been a great option for 12 next year, can run and can pass, would’ve been a great pairing with Jordan

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Duncan was massively underwhelming this year. Fantastic club footy and largely poor when he got his chance. I think he left for France a few months ago. From reports I hear he's not a hard trainer and gets by on skill.

he was never going to cut it in this team with a lesser work ethic.

France should suit him.

A shame because he is an excellent talent.

S

Show-n-go

Kinda hard to get in a groove when you’re being chopped and changed every second week. Thought he always put in a good shift and found his way to the tryline a number of times coming off the bench

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I thought Duncan was massively underwhelming this year. Fantastic club footy and largely poor when he got his chance. I think he left for France a few months ago. From reports I hear he's not a hard trainer and gets by on skill.

he was never going to cut it in this team with a lesser work ethic.

France should suit him.

A shame because he is an excellent talent.

Lots of good players who have not been great trainers - George Smith was a recent example by all accounts. This is the concern with players who perform well in the gym and the training field but can't make a decision on the field. I know nothing about Duncan apart from watching his abilities and felt that he was pushed out. My concern with Thorn from the start was that gym ability, training commitment and religious interest would be rated above footballing ability.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
In terms of football/training I know no more really about Duncan then everyone else on here.

In terms of Duncan as a person I can say he is an fantastic ambassador for the game and for the Reds. Being a Rockhampton local, he often travels up here (frequently at his own expense I believe) and gives up his free time to help out with coaching sessions and junior development. He is great with the kids and he has been known to remember kids that he has met only once or twice when they have turned up at Suncorp to watch the Reds and he has been signing autographs after games. He will be sorely missed by the CQ community.

That is all off topic to the substance of the conversation I know, but I figure it is worth giving him a plug.

B

Bobby Sands

I have already nominated Kellaway, but who are some other realistic Aussies abroad or club player we can go after?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have already nominated Kellaway, but who are some other realistic Aussies abroad or club player we can go after?

Joe Tomane was supposedly in Brisbane recently. Heard his form overseas has been patchie though.. Maybe target some of the Force players Andrew Deegan seemed to be good at 10, don't know how else. though

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I'm not a good enough judge of potential players to comment on club players who might have the goods but I have been pleased to see how well Jock Campbell has stepped up when given the chance and seeing how Banks and Muirhead have gone at the Brumbies it is a positive indication of Prem grade players making the leap. I know that some of the young Prem guys are contracted to the Reds already but is there anyone who is not on a training/development contract that might have what it takes in the backs? I'd like to see players from the local comp get a chance rather than import from Sydney or NZ.

B

Bobby Sands

Isaac Fines is another QLD who is carving up for the Force at 9, not that we are shallow in that position, but he is a gun by all reports.