1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. dru Mark Ella (57)

Right now, I’m comfortable to suggest there has been little value in Aldred.

None actually, or worse we are more shite now than before his involvement.

Outside that I’m pretty happy with the Reds coaching team. We need more from the line out, and mauls. But I’m the happiest I’ve been since 2012.
    Bobby Sands and The Nomad like this.
  2. upthereds#! Alan Cameron (40)

I love forums because it is a melting pot of passionate ideas and comments. If I only wanted sourced information, I'd stick to the Rugby section of the newspapers. Yes things are a little better when people do read before they write (like when people propose teams with players that are ineligible or injured!) however if you have something to say as a fan, here is the place!
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  3. 'Tattsy'TaylorFan1 Ward Prentice (10)

I believe that the recruitment of James O'Connor has been the biggest problem of 2020 for the Reds. Not that O'Connor is a bad person or player but trying to fit him into the backline having not played with any of them before is really hard.
  4. Penguin Arch Winning (36)

He's been one of the Reds best and has been a revelation in his 2nd coming at 10. Playing a team sport means playing with players you haven't played with before regularly. If they can't get around playing with JOC what chance would anyone have with QC?
    Purce, Silverado, Jets and 7 others like this.
  5. wamberal David Codey (61)

He has been the fulcrum of the team's attack. Thorn has put a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. Frankly, it seems to me that the backline has to fit into his presence, rather than the other way around. BTW, all the young players will learn a heap from JOC.
  6. Dusky W Allen Oxlade (6)

Bring back Chook Fowler??? He's still here in Brisbane. (I say this very tongue in cheek as I think he would rub a lot of people the wrong way. Unfortunately, as he got good results.)
    Bobby Sands and dru like this.
  7. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

Oath.
    dru likes this.
  8. Rugbynutter39 Geoff Shaw (53)

Gees gob smacked how anyone could not see what a revelation JOC has been for reds and oz rugby.
  9. PhilClinton Darby Loudon (17)

Definitely agree with O'Connor being a great addition. I would imagine he is a coach/teammates dream - has the ability to play in multiple positions and seems to adapt his role each time. No where near as off-the-cuff as QC was a few years ago and has a much higher skill level than a stock standard reliable back such as Hegarty.
  10. Jets Tony Shaw (54)

Didn't like how he was put in. Didn't like how he dealt with players. Don't really like how he chops and changes the team. Also, he had limited experience before and has been learning on the job. Has an ordinary record that cost previous coaches their jobs.

In saying that I can see a lot of growth this year, or maybe it's my obsession with Harry Wilson. I didn't like his use of the bench in the first three rounds but he's made better changes since week 3.

Also, I broke my are trying to tackle him and still hold a grudge. :)
  11. Dctarget John Thornett (49)

You broke your what?! The suspension is killing me. Breaking certain things are more worthy of holding grudges than breaking other things.
    Penguin, RugbyReg and Jets like this.
  12. Jets Tony Shaw (54)

He also gets the vote from the QRU and thats the vote that matters.

Also, I love the faceless blokes of GAGR even when I disagree with them.
    Ignoto, Penguin and RugbyReg like this.
  13. Jets Tony Shaw (54)

Arm
    Dctarget likes this.
  14. Dctarget John Thornett (49)

Yeah that's fair.

Out of curiosity, what game/grade did you play Brad in?
  15. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

I assumed that was implied, but sure.

Have a nice weekend.
  16. dru Mark Ella (57)

I very strongly agree with those first two points. I for one will never forget how he treated certain players when starting the role. Not ever. But the accountability there lies with QRU exec in place at the time, not Thorn.

On your 4th point, well that also follows the accountability implied from my previous comment.

I'd be annoyed with Thorn himself, if when given this extraordinary opportunity, he did NOT learn on the job. But he has.

It is certainly time for him to measure up on his promise in relation to the w/l ratio. Funny season though.

I'm not simply happy with Thorn in the role in 2020, I think it would be an error of the gravest kind to remove him after the investment we have put in AND with his promise showing through.
    Jets and Bobby Sands like this.
  17. Adam84 Chilla Wilson (44)

James O’Connor training his kicking with Dave Alred also, the concern for aggravating an injury seems to have gone
    Sully likes this.
  18. Roberts Rugby Bob Loudon (25)

Watched the Reds and Saders 2011 final replay last night and realised how much the game has evolved. Crowds do like a physical game and that could be the reason for the downturn in game attendance. Along with streaming.
    Skill has improved dramatically but the physicality has been affected by the change in rules that protect the players. How good were the scrums before the binding rules, and the tackles were immense before the determination of dangerous play. The fluency of the game has reduced with more yellow and red cards issued and more penalties. Advantage play on the increase and refs have more technology which is impacting on stop-start play.
    The balls we used back then allowed more distance in kicking and passing. Or is that just the demise of our current Reds team? We really need two quality kickers. Points win games. Hegarty needs to be in the starting team and JOC needs to get his kicking on point.

Must say the likes of Wilson, McReight, and Wright are the Reds future. Thorn is making good decisions.
  19. dru Mark Ella (57)

How do I get hold of, or access to, historic Reds matches?

Right now I’d love to be viewing 2008 to 2011, every single game. Binjing.
  20. Bobby Sands Ken Catchpole (46)

Send me a PM